Which VR headset do you use for sim racing poll?

Make certain to use the driver 10.0.17760.1000 if using Windows10 1803 or later.
Initially on setup, my headset would also go to a plain blue screen, then shutdown.
That'd happen every few minutes if I wasn't actively doing something in the headset.
I'd also get the "please reconnect your headset" message.
I have not seen either of those since going to that newer driver.
I've found it to be really quite stable.
Not simracing related but if you like history, go get the HoloTour. It is extremely cool.
What graphics card are you using currently?

Thanks, actually was going to ask for some VR apps besides simracing, keeping in mind I bought the headset without the motion controllers.
I have a GTX 1070 with an i3 8350K and 16GB 3000 DDR4.

Have you removed the "//" in front of the 2 lines? That is how it gets activated.
The colored square (box) are in the upper left corner of your view. It is very small so easy to overlook.
Yep, I removed the comment "//" I remember seing some blue area on the top left of the view on the headset, but it was extremely hard to follow with my eyes and I thought it was something else, probably it could be but it was so difficult to watch.

Just beat sale close by minutes

Cost $199AU ( $140US) including Bluetooth 4.0 dongle and shipping

Don't like will easily sell for that on Gumtree

Already shipped to Australia from B&H ( Wolverine Super 8 converter )
Was no extra import charges on that

Last edited:
Revive is only good for making Oculus Rift only games work under SteamVR.
As fare as I know with race sims it is only Dirt Rally that are a Oculus Rift only game.
Even there there is an easier way to make DR run under SteamVR.

As Ford writes it is likely VorpX you are thinking about. All the Gmotor2 games works with VorpX.
VorpX is not for everybody. To make those games work you need to fiddle a great deal to get the right settings for your particular hardware.
Other options are Reshade/ SuperDepth 3D and Virtual Desktop or similar.
That again also require some effort! So out of reach for most people:whistling:

• Deleted member 197115

As fare as I know with race sims it is only Dirt Rally that are a Oculus Rift only game.
Even there there is an easier way to make DR run under SteamVR.
Can you please share how.
Thanks

I updated my Windows 10 to build 1803 and saw a dramatic improvement on AC, ACC, rFactor2 in general.
AC on VR with fpsVR I still see I am running at 45fps, but the CPU and GPU bars are mostly on green, below what I believe is the threshold of new frames. It looks like there is a bottleneck somewhere, but I do not know what could be.

Thanks guys said I knew nothing , dummy DD went and brought a Bluetooth 4.0 for headset
didn't he :notworthy: lol

Not likely i want to drive Dirt but in case software is lightweight
VorpX sounds like a drama and costs $55AU

I think I just try AC with RSS GT and some historic as he says that is the best

If I like AC I will buy FPSVR and VorpX
If I don't like AC then I will sell it for what it cost me

Last edited:
Thanks guys said I knew nothing , dummy DD went and brought a Bluetooth 4.0 for headset
didn't he :notworthy: lol

Not likely i want to drive Dirt but in case software is lightweight
VorpX sounds like a drama and costs $55AU

I think I just try AC with RSS GT and some historic as he says that is the best

If I like AC I will buy FPSVR and VorpX
If I don't like AC then I will sell it for what it cost me
You will enjoy AC with this headset, especially if you have the graphics 'fire-power' to max settings.
It is so good in fact, that I seriously considered selling my Rift.
I have not lost tracking once. It has been great since I got it properly setup.
Use the Nvidia CP override for color palette and it'll look just like it normally does in game.
(You can use any red Ferrari as a test of color, since we all know what that shade looks like)
It is also 'butter' smooth on track...even with every setting maxed out and PPD at 1.5.
It starts out well and just gets better from there.
If you get any messages about reconnecting despite it being connected, swap the headset connector to different USB ports.
I'm using an MSI X470, which has USB3.1 Gen1 and Gen2 ports.
It seemed a bit finicky and did not like the Gen2 ports. It is 'rock' solid on the Gen1.

My previous test was a full 20 grid race weekend formula fords on Brands Hatch, I was all the time getting 45fps, checking it with fpsVR. I decided to test something less CPU demanding by testing the AC benchmark replay (SPA GT3 race) not using the benchmark button, but rather loading the replay. I got 90fps almost all the time, so for me this tells me some things. VR is way more demanding on CPU than GPU. Also, need combine some testing scenarios. I do not know how well optimized are the 3d models of the formula ford compared to GT3 as well as the impact of testing Brands Hatch and SPA. I need to do an online test too and see how much fps I will get.

If you get any messages about reconnecting despite it being connected, swap the headset connector to different USB ports.
I'm using an MSI X470, which has USB3.1 Gen1 and Gen2 ports.
It seemed a bit finicky and did not like the Gen2 ports. It is 'rock' solid on the Gen1.

Thanks

I for longtime never like motherboards ports more so these days when having 10 or more
USB devices is common place

My advice is to purchase good quality 10-15 port USB 3.0 dock ;)

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/40542/orico-aluminium-15-port-usb-3-0-powered-hub

1. Good self powered ones control the power not the OS / software

2. In my experience they are always snappier in everything especially if you have less then top end motherboard

3. Good docks include a couple ports for charging

4. You can run a mix of short USB2.0 / 3.0 extensions to put devices at your fingertips
and cable them neatly ( cable wheel, pedals, shifter in one loom, etc. )
Sure you can do that with a tower anyway but having 12 leads out front and back of tower looks messy

5. So many cables are weighty and hang on the USB ports in a tower especially if they are cable tied and bend downwards, eventually in some circumstances making the ports sloppy

6. Only 1 USB lead to tower, no clutter

7. Directs heat from all USB ports to Hub and extension leads
Install W10 with a Ultra 3.0 thumb drive and feel how hot it is when finished p

edit:
Majority of devices are USB2.0
If you don't have many USB3.0 devices buy a good quality USB2.0 dock instead
All points above still relevant to USB2.0

Last edited:
Thanks Durge, this advice seems relevant to my situation. I bought a used Rift several months ago and have had problems with USB connection on and off. In the end I did a fresh W10 install, but even that didn't solve it.

I think there is a recommended USB hub for the Rift? IIRC there is a work around for some issue with the recommended huh in OTT? Does anybody know whether I can use any USB hub, or should I buy the recommended one?

That last point might not be overly relevant soon though, as I'm considering a Lenovo Explorer. I should get close to my money back on the Rift if I self soon (£200).

i5 4690K @ 4.4, GTX1080 & Asus Z97P.

Thanks Durge, this advice seems relevant to my situation. I bought a used Rift several months ago and have had problems with USB connection on and off. In the end I did a fresh W10 install, but even that didn't solve it.

I think there is a recommended USB hub for the Rift? IIRC there is a work around for some issue with the recommended huh in OTT? Does anybody know whether I can use any USB hub, or should I buy the recommended one?

That last point might not be overly relevant soon though, as I'm considering a Lenovo Explorer. I should get close to my money back on the Rift if I self soon (£200).

i5 4690K @ 4.4, GTX1080 & Asus Z97P.

I think a PCI USB expansion card will be better suited for VR headset over a hub. I'm using this one: https://amzn.to/2SxTe4P. Both my HTC Vive and Lenono Explorer are plugged into this expansion card.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 310 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 207 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 271 13.5%