Which RTX 3080/90 Model?

Possibly looking at the RTX 3090...if it can run 8K which is 4x the resolution of 4K at 60fps, then Triple Screen Monitors at 4K @ 60Hz should be a breeze. :geek:...errr, I think:O_o::redface::)

Don't fall for it. Their 8k testing was done on "high settings" and using dlss where they could meaning its been manipulated to get the frames. Also more to do with having 24gb vram. Also a leak over the weekend from the same guys who accurately leaked the 3080 pre launch show the 3090 is only 10% faster than the 3080 in games at 4k. Its not going to magically be able to do triple 4k, at least without turning down a lot of the settings still. Its for sure not worth the money. I think 1440p is going to be doable now, but not triple 4k.

This is a card for work thats being marketed to gamers to make more margin.

Don't fall for it. Their 8k testing was done on "high settings" and using dlss where they could meaning its been manipulated to get the frames. Also more to do with having 24gb vram. Also a leak over the weekend from the same guys who accurately leaked the 3080 pre launch show the 3090 is only 10% faster than the 3080 in games at 4k. Its not going to magically be able to do triple 4k, at least without turning down a lot of the settings still. Its for sure not worth the money. I think 1440p is going to be doable now, but not triple 4k.

This is a card for work thats being marketed to gamers to make more margin.

Check this:

around 20% faster than 2080. If this is worth the price difference is another story

around 20% faster than 2080. If this is worth the price difference is another story

We will find out this week with official benchmarks, however its dangerous to assume you will get render compute performance in sims. The Ampere architecture does not work the way you are expecting. They have doubled the CUDA cores using existing INT32 compute cores in turing to also be able to do FP 32. Only 3d render engines that use fp32 compute are able to leverage this power. So blender, octane, vray redshift etc are showing significant uplift.

At the moment Games and sims are only seeing half the core count at this point in time, and maybe like VEGAs power (which also excells in compute pwerformance) they never will use the full potential of the card as a lot of games mix IN32 and fp32 compute or don't see 2x fp32. So you are relying on developers to adapt to a new architecture and its unlikely to happen.

So the 20% uplift figure you are quoting comes from amount of cuda cores quoted between the 3080 and the 3090. However only half of those will be used by games due to how the architecture works rand how game engines see them right now. That's why the leaked benchmarks are only showing a 10% uplift.

Custom GeForce RTX 3090 Pricing

Graphics CardPart NumberPricing
Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 OC EditionROG-STRIX-RTX3090-O24G-GAMING$1,799.99
EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming24G-P5-3987-KR$1,799.99
EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Gaming24G-P5-3985-KR$1,729.99
EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 XC3 Ultra Gaming24G-P5-3975-KR$1,619.99
Asus TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3090 OC EditionTUF-RTX3090-O24G-GAMING$1,599.99
EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 XC3 Gaming24G-P5-3973-KR$1,549.99
EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 XC3 Black Gaming24G-P5-3971-KR$1,529.99
Asus TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3090TUF-RTX3090-24G-GAMING$1,499.99

apps.32926.13510798882604576.96d8aa71-bf93-421c-b8e2-aac081512d60.9c180630-ac2b-4653-94c3-c2d7425c5f87
giphy.gif

• Deleted member 197115

Still don't understand the reason for such disproportional pricing between 3080 and 3090.
Curious how much EVGA 3090 Kingpin is going to be, guess $2K.

Still don't understand the reason for such disproportional pricing between 3080 and 3090.

There are two ways to look at this.

1. NVidia proved that there is a market for a $1500 card and they want to milk it.
2. This is a lower cost professional card with users who could make good use of the Memory and extra Cuda cores for AI or large mathematical models. I know people who have extensively used the Cuda SDK to do some pretty amazing things. When you buy something for business and can write it off and if it offers you an actual speed benefit a card like that can pay for itself even if it isn't a huge jump in gaming performance.

Last edited:
Yup also as this is the only card with SLI you could technically (although not sure how spacing works) put two in a TRX40 system with SLI NVlink and get outrageous compute performance. Assuming they will allow sharing vram pipeline over NVlink like the Titan RTX can.

Considering a Quadro RTX 6000 with 24gb of ECC Vram still costs £5000, and a Quadro RTX 8000 48gb was £8k at launch. A 24gb Titan RTX costs £2500 sacrificing professional drivers and ECC and that was considered good value, This card against all that in context is amazing value. Over 10000 CUDA and 24gb that is insane! Can potentially have a machine with over 20,000 CUDA cores. Like something a science lab would have with over 4 Quadros worth of power. You can see why say small 3D artist studios would jump on this. Being able to work on 3D models raytraced in real time for example, render videos in half the time etc etc.

However the downer is for our sims this is sort of like Nvidias version of the Radeon Vii, a lot of performance is being left on the table because of the architecture. Will developers optimise for it? Looking at AMD history and the history of SLI, and RTX not so sure about that. Perhaps Nvidia are counting on this in the future, IDK.

VRAM I would guess - it's not cheap this fast stuff

To be honest I'll probably go for a 3090 even though a 3080 would be fine for me. The reason is that I don't see the 3080 coming out of severe supply constraint for some time yet, and my guess is that people will wait on the 3080 as an "affordable" card rather than cough up an extra $1000 for the 3090, which, thanks to my situation, I can do without problem

That said my 2 2080 tis are still delivering the goods - it's not like they suddenly became slower, so I'm good to hold off anyway.

• Deleted member 197115

There are two ways to look at this.

1. NVidia proved that there is a market for a $1500 card and they want to milk it.
2. This is a lower cost professional card with users who could make good use of the Memory and extra Cuda cores for AI or large mathematical models. I know people who have extensively used the Cuda SDK to do some pretty amazing things. When you buy something for business and can write it off and if it offers you an actual speed benefit a card like that can pay for itself even if it isn't a huge jump in gaming performance.
They pitch it as a gaming card this time though.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a sponsored video so we have to take it with a bit of a pinch of salt, but Linus would be crazy to oversell this to his follows if it was ****. 8k gaming @ 60Hz on Nightmare settings.

I also doubt that 8k gaming translates directly to what sim racers need, but with triples and VR, there is definitely some use.

It's a sponsored video so we have to take it with a bit of a pinch of salt, but Linus would be crazy to oversell this to his follows if it was ****. 8k gaming @ 60Hz on Nightmare settings.

Noone is saying its sh*t. Its the first card that is capable of actually doing gaming at 8k at 60fps which is what he is excited about. But note he is tweaking the settings specifically given to him by Nvidia. Also note Doom Eternal nighmare settings are not max settings.

This is not the same as assuming it is a lot faster than the 3080 and noone has actually said that by the way. It just has faster vram and 24gb of it which is where 8k bottlenecks. Without official performance benchmarks its still just marketing smoke and mirrors at this point.

I'm surprised Linus did that video sponsored by Nvidia before giving performance numbers. Its put a shadow over my opinion of him TBH. He could get a lot of sh*t for this depending how the launch and reviews go.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.