which GPU is best for AC?

...or we all need 3 / 4 x Titan setup :D and should be +60 with full grid
but minus 3000-4000$ from our pockets :) just for graphics cards ;) :D

like Pedro said - " The game needs heavy work on graphics performance! "

...or we all need 3 / 4 x Titan setup :D and should be +60 with full grid
but minus 3000-4000$ from our pockets :) just for graphics cards ;) :D

like Pedro said - " The game needs heavy work on graphics performance! "

Agree but main problem is CPU usage, right now i think it isn't taking most advantage using all cores on i5's and i7's...

Agree but main problem is CPU usage, right now i think it isn't taking most advantage using all cores on i5's and i7's...

This is true. Right now if you cant do 60 with a full grid, you still wont do 60 running 20 Titans. Once your CPU maxes out, your GPU usage drops through the floor and becomes irrelevant.
Also at the moment the game is not using all cores to the best of their abilities and certainly isnt optimised for hyperthreading on the i7's.

Im keeping my green queens in my pocket for now on both fronts. Lots of tweaking to go. This aint no low grade console port, its a custom job with the newly appointed 'masters of the code' Kunos!
Just looking at the quality vs performance currently achieved is unbelievable. So I have every faith things will be sweet as a nut. :)

I'm just after upgrading from a Nvidia GTX 460 to a 770, there's obviously been an improvement in graphics but nothing major, once you're in the car driving I don't think you'd notice much of a difference between the top settings and settings somewhere in the middle. I'm still not really able to max the game out and get a very smooth frame rate in a race with a full grid.

The main advantage of the new card just seems to be everything is smoother, I'm not getting as many slow down issues but graphical improvements are barely noticeable.

Just had a strange thing happen and I can only imagine it's AC related. I recently installed a new GPU and been stress testing it with many games as the airflow in the Alienware X51 is non existant, so I've been working out a good custom curve for the GPU fan. I am consistently in the 60 degrees or less range with all the games I've been testing after approx 30-60 min gameplay. Assassins Creed 4, Tomb Raider (2013) etc, all on high or ultra settings, so no heating up problems so far :). This screen shot is after about 20 mins of Assetto Corsa and the temp is nice a low how I want it to be:
ACGTX660temps.jpg

Now if I leave the screen running after I've been timed out and the car is on the track with the camera panning around, the GPU temp quickly went up to over 90 degrees and the fan went into overdrive!!! Is this a potential damaging bug in the game or is there another explanation for it? Like I say, I can play AC, Assassins Creed, Tomb Raider, Project Cars, DTM....and so on. with no heating up issues, so I've got the fan doing it's job with the restricted space I have.

Any ideas?

Just had a strange thing happen and I can only imagine it's AC related. I recently installed a new GPU and been stress testing it with many games as the airflow in the Alienware X51 is non existant, so I've been working out a good custom curve for the GPU fan. I am consistently in the 60 degrees or less range with all the games I've been testing after approx 30-60 min gameplay. Assassins Creed 4, Tomb Raider (2013) etc, all on high or ultra settings, so no heating up problems so far :). This screen shot is after about 20 mins of Assetto Corsa and the temp is nice a low how I want it to be:
ACGTX660temps.jpg

Now if I leave the screen running after I've been timed out and the car is on the track with the camera panning around, the GPU temp quickly went up to over 90 degrees and the fan went into overdrive!!! Is this a potential damaging bug in the game or is there another explanation for it? Like I say, I can play AC, Assassins Creed, Tomb Raider, Project Cars, DTM....and so on. with no heating up issues, so I've got the fan doing it's job with the restricted space I have.

Any ideas?

I suspect you´re using fullscreen rendering setting.

Upgraded to a GTX760 to try triple screens, I have to run fairly low AA/AF (I think I have 4x AF, 3x MSAA, 0xAA) and everything else on 'high' (vs. very high) or 'medium' (where the top notch is 'high') to get 5760x1200 over 60fps. 5760x1080 is a fairly straightforward 10% increase in fps like you'd expect, and really only loses me a bit of the dashboard and headliner, so I might run at that resolution if it becomes an issue. Basically gives me 70fps steady alone, dropping to low 60s near several other cars. TBH the higher quality AA does look nicer, and the v. high quality shadows are way nicer, but I can live with it for spending a lot less money.

Pretty confident the grid is CPU limited now; switching from a 460 to 760 left me with the same fps drop on a 12 car grid. (to around 40fps) and 24 car grids are just a problem as they go under 30 fps.
A friend of mine is looking at building a system on a budget and the 760 card is in the mix. He's looking to run triple 720's and we're trying to figure out what kind of performance he might get. Just curious as to how AC1.0 RC is running for you now, what kind of framerates you are getting in traffic, solo, online etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AC with all of the bells and whistles turned on is extremely hardware intensive. The best card is the GTX 980 currently because its the fastest. That being said, not everyone wants to spend that much on a graphics card so I understand, but there's only one answer to the OP's question of which is the best and its always going to be the fastest card available.

Last edited:
Even with a GTX980, with everything maxed in game after 30 minutes you will have one of 2 options.
Graphics card will throttle lowering the speed in an attempt to cool down and you will get lower fps and some lag, or simply it i'll burn.
AC is the first game where I can't have everything maxed as default for a regular gameplay.

Even with a GTX980, with everything maxed in game after 30 minutes you will have one of 2 options.
Graphics card will throttle lowering the speed in an attempt to cool down and you will get lower fps and some lag, or simply it i'll burn.
AC is the first game where I can't have everything maxed as default for a regular gameplay.
If you haven't tried it already you should set a custom fan profile to keep your temps under control. The default ones always seem to be a little conservative to keep noise down, but in my experience a well set profile can keep temps under control without too much extra noise.
Afterburner is an ace little program that will let you do this and more.

I don't have that issue. Do you use a program like MSI Afterburner and raise the power limits and temp limits and prioritize by temp? If so, you may just have poor cooling in your case.

Afterburner is an ace little program that will let you do this and more.

Agreed.

Last edited:
Well I am running AC on my old Pentium celeron. But I have upgraded the graphics card now. It's a Creative Blaster Voodoo 2 card. Currently able to run AC with most things on, but with no AA, no AF, no shadows, no special effects, no FXAA, no post processing, no changing weather and finally no other cars on track.
And my resolution is low, playing at 800x600 and I can get 18 fps.

Apart from that, it's great. It's like being in 1994 again.

Think I'll try multiplayer with it tonight.:)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.