which GPU is best for AC?

I have powercolor hd7850 playing hitman absolution on highest settings. In AC I only have problems with CPU (cpu occupancy %99) especially 15-20 cars on tracks. I don't think AMD 5800k APU is a bad cpu with 8gb ram and 7850gpu but 64bit support indeed for AC. I heard that this game is not using all cores.. Even a Pentium dual core 2.2ghz gives better performance. Same things can be said for cities xxl.. Many system suffer because of game's cpu optimization.

ps: Game is on a 180gb intel ssd.

Last edited:
I have powercolor hd7850 playing hitman absolution on highest settings. In AC I only have problems with CPU (cpu occupancy %99) especially 15-20 cars on tracks. I don't think AMD 5800k APU is a bad cpu with 8gb ram and 7850gpu but 64bit support indeed for AC. I heard that this game is not using all cores.. Even a Pentium dual core 2.2ghz gives better performance. Same things can be said for cities xxl.. Many system suffer because of game's cpu optimization.

ps: Game is on a 180gb intel ssd.
I was using a VisionTek 7850 before I upgraded my medium system to an MSI 270. The 7850 is a good card, cannot get full settings on it. Even with 64-bits, you cannot run full AA, AF, and shadows along with max reflections. It's good for full medium settings. If you want 100+ fps on higher settings, but are constrained by one 6-pin connector on your system, I recommend using MSI's 270, low power consumption, the fans will shake your case like the Hulk, really cools well esp. in warm climates where heat can really play down your performance. The only caveat is as fan speed goes up, the performance goes down just a little.

I was using a VisionTek 7850 before I upgraded my medium system to an MSI 270. The 7850 is a good card, cannot get full settings on it. Even with 64-bits, you cannot run full AA, AF, and shadows along with max reflections. It's good for full medium settings. If you want 100+ fps on higher settings, but are constrained by one 6-pin connector on your system, I recommend using MSI's 270, low power consumption, the fans will shake your case like the Hulk, really cools well esp. in warm climates where heat can really play down your performance. The only caveat is as fan speed goes up, the performance goes down just a little.

Hey Bernd,

I downloaded AMD Overdrive software a few minutes ago and overclocked my APU to 4600Mhz.. Game settings; 1600x900 60p, 4xanisotropic filt., 4x aa, world detail very high and other at maximum except reflection quality is med with rendering freq. Vysnc off, frame rate fixed to 60fps. Using a 32" hdmi tv to monitor. A race with 17 cars at nordschliefe(I'm sure I wrote it wrong) I get no lag, no stuttering and a medium-high range quality..

I still believe that this gpu can do better but I will upgrade the whole system soon anyway. Thanks.

By the way I have to say if you guys use an Hdmi tv for monitoring, you should check some settings of tv like digi-parasit filtering.. Those can overlap gpu settings somehow and cause stuttering etc..

Hey Bernd,

I downloaded AMD Overdrive software a few minutes ago and overclocked my APU to 4600Mhz.. Game settings; 1600x900 60p, 4xanisotropic filt., 4x aa, world detail very high and other at maximum except reflection quality is med with rendering freq. Vysnc off, frame rate fixed to 60fps. Using a 32" hdmi tv to monitor. A race with 17 cars at nordschliefe(I'm sure I wrote it wrong) I get no lag, no stuttering and a medium-high range quality..

I still believe that this gpu can do better but I will upgrade the whole system soon anyway. Thanks.
I see. I was using an FM1 chipset, 8gig mem @ 1600 good for AMD systems, and overclocking...but my output res was 1080p, definitely cuts down on the settings. If your max res is 1600, 7850 is a good single-6-pin card, but I recommend using the MSI 270, that should get you at maximum settings at that res.

I see. I was using an FM1 chipset, 8gig mem @ 1600 good for AMD systems, and overclocking...but my output res was 1080p, definitely cuts down on the settings. If your max res is 1600, 7850 is a good single-6-pin card, but I recommend using the MSI 270, that should get you at maximum settings at that res.

Thanks for the advice. I'll take look to MSI 270.
ps:I'm down from 1080p to 1600 for that reason.. At least I can use some AA and pp effects.. :)

Actually all R9 cards with the exception of the 290x are improved 7000 series cards ;)

I recently upgrade from a Deneb 955 BE OC'd at 3.9 stable with a HIS 6950 Turbo X (without 6970 BIOS) OC'd with MSI afterburner software. My first jump in performance was switching to the 8 core (since I use an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX I stayed with AMD), and running with my 6950 was a dream! 2 weeks later my best friend talked me into getting a HIS 280x Turbo X slightly used off Ebay for $160. I was slightly hesitant as we all feel with used hardware, but since it was from a promo partner and they had great reviews, I pulled the trigger.

Funny thing about AMD GPU's, most of the time isn't actually AMD itself (unless it's the reference card itself), its their AIB's (Add In Board partners). Some of the (decent) but cheaper partners (Powercolor, Diamond, etc) use thinner PCB's (or at least don't incorporate some kind of structural reinforcement) and cheaper capacitors. They use a "reference design", and the partner chooses to either enhance the design or source their own materials and manufacturing method. I've personally found, MSI, Asus, HIS, XFX, and (sometimes) Gigabyte to make some of the better AIB cards in terms of quality and thermal design. You end up paying $20-30 (US) more for these but their warranty and RMA terms are exceptionally better.

But as far as debate of 270x vs 280x, it's really minimal in the difference. If you did get a 270x be sure to get a performance edition as this will extend the life and usually they come with a better thermal design and better components on the card. Usually at that level of card it's a matter of $10-15 in most cases.

Actually all R9 cards with the exception of the 290x are improved 7000 series cards ;)

I recently upgrade from a Deneb 955 BE OC'd at 3.9 stable with a HIS 6950 Turbo X (without 6970 BIOS) OC'd with MSI afterburner software. My first jump in performance was switching to the 8 core (since I use an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX I stayed with AMD), and running with my 6950 was a dream! 2 weeks later my best friend talked me into getting a HIS 280x Turbo X slightly used off Ebay for $160. I was slightly hesitant as we all feel with used hardware, but since it was from a promo partner and they had great reviews, I pulled the trigger.

Funny thing about AMD GPU's, most of the time isn't actually AMD itself (unless it's the reference card itself), its their AIB's (Add In Board partners). Some of the (decent) but cheaper partners (Powercolor, Diamond, etc) use thinner PCB's (or at least don't incorporate some kind of structural reinforcement) and cheaper capacitors. They use a "reference design", and the partner chooses to either enhance the design or source their own materials and manufacturing method. I've personally found, MSI, Asus, HIS, XFX, and (sometimes) Gigabyte to make some of the better AIB cards in terms of quality and thermal design. You end up paying $20-30 (US) more for these but their warranty and RMA terms are exceptionally better.

But as far as debate of 270x vs 280x, it's really minimal in the difference. If you did get a 270x be sure to get a performance edition as this will extend the life and usually they come with a better thermal design and better components on the card. Usually at that level of card it's a matter of $10-15 in most cases.
FYI, don't know if you know, but we were talking about single-six-pin cards. MSI and others put out r9 series and x series cards, but all the x series cards use two six-pins or an eight and six pin connector, so you have to use a better PSU and chipset like you mentioned :). But for medium systems, the 270 is the highest power card still using one six-pin.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back