Which Fanatec DD are you buying and why?

I couldn’t see this type of post anywhere and as I’m undecided on a DD1 or the PS4 version for extra compatibility right now thought I’d put this up, forgive me if it’s already been done.

I seem to be one of the few here that after watching Barry's review, has me kind of leaning towards a DD rather than an SC2 which I had just about decided on (though, truth be told, I'm not close to pulling the trigger yet). Thanks to Barry's typical thorough break down, I liked what I saw. The flex some are getting in an uproar over doesn't bother me much. After watching the video, I checked on my CSW and I get slight up/down flex. I also really liked what I saw with FanaLabs. Easy to understand and has, imo, terrific promise for the released version.

I recently installed the Podium mag shifters on my Formula 1 v2 which really elevated what is already an impressive bit of kit. To just take it and pop it onto a DD without having to convert it to USB is really attractive to me.

My .02 cents. :cool:

I don't think there is anything wrong with drawing that conclusion.. Barry made many positive comments about how the DD2 was competitive and that it will only get better from here.

There are also people who were waiting to pounce on anything negative. I was actually defending Fanatec in the comment stream. Someone was getting upset at how Fanatec wanted to make you buy their wheels. They are a company in business to make money. They are not doing anything wrong.

As I said earlier if I were happy with their wheels I would have gotten a DD2. I don't think the DD2 has any deal breakers and it has a number of features that the SC2's do not have.

In the end I suspect they are both pretty close and that if we got to use either of them configured well with the titles we typically use that we would think things felt pretty darn good.

Upvote 0
I found it quite interesting that Barry was so focused on the quick release, is it really that big a deal? He makes some incredible detailed reviews, so it must be a valid point. I still think i'm going for the dd1, but i'm a little less shure now:roflmao:

This came up in a reddit (or was it FB) discussion after everyone viewed it. Including myself, a lot of us do not actually have any flex. Keep in mind he put on a universal wheel hub, another adapter, and then a wheel. The amount of leverage he had at the end would induce some play.

Upvote 0
This came up in a reddit (or was it FB) discussion after everyone viewed it. Including myself, a lot of us do not actually have any flex. Keep in mind he put on a universal wheel hub, another adapter, and then a wheel. The amount of leverage he had at the end would induce some play.
It wasn't some play it was really wobbling. Maybe barry just had a bad unit? If so Fanatec should send out a new unit. Saying that Thomas from Fanatec has already said that the quick release isnt upto the job and a new design is coming.

Upvote 0
It wasn't some play it was really wobbling. Maybe barry just had a bad unit? If so Fanatec should send out a new unit. Saying that Thomas from Fanatec has already said that the quick release isnt upto the job and a new design is coming.

There's clearly a manufacturing tolerance issue with the existing QR which gives a wide range of experiences. It's a lottery.

The guy from Fanatec has acknowledged that they intend to improve this with a revision which further gives credence to the fact that the current model is subject to issues.

Then you have a combination of fanatec haters and ardent defenders adding to the noise.

Upvote 0
All in all considering the factors some people doubted and raised or moaned about since this wheel was first introduced. The things they presumed in power, reliability or comparisons it would bring in performance to other already developed and industrial based motors.

I think its come out pretty damn good.
Loving that software and the options it brings.

The price is just a bit too high, sorry but its a wheel and for this to sell more the price will need to drop or Fanatec consider a bundle with 2 rims bringing more value.

I cant get an answer on if the PS4 version needs Fanatec Pedals to be used for GT Sport or other PS4 titles. I assume it does but that defeats the multiformat support as many PC racers will have other pedals and will not be wanting to change back/forth pedals, not gonna happen.

I wonder if with the software they enable USB pedals to work with PS4 or if that is possible?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thomas Jackermeier’s post on the Fanatec community page:

Here it is!

The long awaited review of Barry Rowland. The master of disassembly! And while I always have some screws left over after I re-assembled everything he always manages to put back everything perfectly.

This is our very first DD wheel base and it is a great honour for us that he sees the overall experience you get with our DD at the level of the very best last gen DDs out there. Thank you, Barry!

He also gives a great explanation of the Fanalab software and it looks like he liked it a lot.

A few notes I would like to mention:
1. With an upcoming new firmware you can also turn down the torque only if you press the power button short and to turn it off you press it 2 seconds.
2. The flex in the QR will not cause any lack of fidelity as it is not rotational flex. You can also avoid it by using the locking bolt if it bothers you. I personally doubt that there is any chance that you notice that while driving.
3. Fanalab will be available for all wheel bases and not just Podium
4. The dynamic force feedback damper works now
wink.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am not a DD wheel owner, nor am in the market for one yet; just an interested spectator, and that wobbling shown in the video looks really poor :unsure: I would expect a DD wheel to be bullet-proof in construction, but that amount of flex makes it look like a flimsy toy to me :O_o:

Upvote 0
Many are really hung up on the flex shown on Barry's unit. If I recall correctly, during the latter part of his review when he's driving, he was certainly enjoying the feedback he was getting. Never did he mention he felt like there was any loss of fidelity. The man has experience with a number of different dd wheels and he always goes out on Sebring to test since it is so bumpy. He even called out he could feel the pavement transitions. That's pretty fine fidelity, no? It was this reaction of his that is one of my reasons why Fanatec has moved to the number one spot, in my mind, of my very short list of dd wheels I'm considering.

Upvote 0
Many are really hung up on the flex shown on Barry's unit. If I recall correctly, during the latter part of his review when he's driving, he was certainly enjoying the feedback he was getting. Never did he mention he felt like there was any loss of fidelity. The man has experience with a number of different dd wheels and he always goes out on Sebring to test since it is so bumpy. He even called out he could feel the pavement transitions. That's pretty fine fidelity, no? It was this reaction of his that is one of my reasons why Fanatec has moved to the number one spot, in my mind, of my very short list of dd wheels I'm considering.
He actually did mention that the fidelity would be better with a more solid connection.

Whilst the formula wheel he is using is an older one, it just goes to show the manufacturing tolerances aren’t consistent with their custom QR. I don’t understand why they didn’t use an already established high quality QR when the CSW was first released.

Upvote 0
He actually did mention that the fidelity would be better with a more solid connection.

Whilst the formula wheel he is using is an older one, it just goes to show the manufacturing tolerances aren’t consistent with their custom QR. I don’t understand why they didn’t use an already established high quality QR when the CSW was first released.

No he assumed it might be better, its not conclusive and may be subjective for different users.

Im sure if Barry wanted to he could arrange a comparison of DD wheels like he did before and get the perspectives from others also testing. Actually that is what is needed for such tests is more than one persons input that is not affiliated or has nothing to gain/lose by giving just honest opinions or preferences to what suits them individually.

All are great purchases lets remember that. Fanatec are offering upto 5 year warranty, so if this is something that is wear based I am sure is being dealt with and revisions are already being talked about.

Upvote 0

Incorrect, he was using a Formula V2, one of the newest rims they have released.

Upvote 0
I really want to want a DD1/2 but the problem is a picture speaks a thousand words. And while in normal use at lower torques that people will run the flex (if any on your particular unit) might not be noticeable, there will always be a nagging worry that higher torque or heavy impacts might somehow cause a pin to break due to the flex.

And him rocking it side to side in the video like that is ingrained in many minds now. Especially when you compare to SC2 connection method which seems rock solid.

I think the only way this will go away now is when Barry does another video that fully addresses and tests the flex with other units, rims and combinations thereof.

Upvote 0

Exactly, he kinda contradicts himself, while he’s driving he’s not only going on about the details but he actually turns the FEI down, down more than I ever have, the lower you go with FEI the more the FFB details are smoothed and the less detail you get and he was still happy with the details, that’s because what he said at the beginning of the video about the flex in the direction he twisted the rim isn’t correct, it doesn’t effect FFB, it would have to be play in the direction of the forces applied to the rim for it to effect that, it’s basic stuff that for some reason people are having trouble with.

This video is clearly a combination of a bad part on the unit and Barry making some errors, not just on that, which he can and does make sometimes.

Upvote 0
I agree 100% with Barry and anyone else that thinks flex will effect it. It has to, even in some small way, especially when the wheel is getting major inputs from the Road. You have to remember that Barry is aware that what he says on these vids can and does effect a company's bottom line in profits.

So I believe he did his duty by showing the flex, but that if he, being a major DD expert could feel it moving slightly on those bumpy Sebring bits, he would be hesitant to mention it.

For it to feel real which is the main goal of simulation, it needs to be rock solid end of story. The only flex one should have at all if any is the rim itself, similar to real cars. Not at connection point.

I believe it will be fixed simply because it has to be for Fanatec to sell as many as they want/need to.

Upvote 0
So I believe he did his duty by showing the flex, but that if he, being a major DD expert could feel it moving slightly on those bumpy Sebring bits, he would be hesitant to mention it.

I couldn't disagree with you more here. I believe one of the reasons Barry's vids are so popular is that he doesn't seem to be persuaded by receiving free kit to review, most of which looks like he gets to keep. If he felt any differences or felt he was losing any bit of fidelity I wholeheartedly believe he would have called it out. I've seen him nit pick small details but always states it could be just him and leaves it to the viewer to decide whether it is a factor or not and to what degree. That's what I like about him. He's passionate about the hobby and gets into all the details good or bad in a way that let's you draw your own conclusions.

Upvote 0
That's almost exactly what I said above. He mentioned it but "gets into all the details good or bad in a way that let's you draw your own conclusions". And how we all have.

Upvote 0
Perhaps I misunderstood your post then. It was the bit where you said he would be hesitant to mention it that my reaction was largely based on. Apologies if I missed your point.

Upvote 0
Yeah I meant he could have felt it a bit but is smart enough to know that it may not be a big deal to everyone, might not be a problem at all, or that it may be out of spec parts.

So he did the responsible thing and showed the flex but also went on to say that he was still very impressed with the operation of the wheel which would tend to be what most owners are saying also.

So he was as honest as he could have been, which is why we love his reviews so much.

The flex he had has just thrown a spanner in the works for many, and I really think he will know that and will want to test a few more sample parts to see if issue or no, that is what his viewers will want I think.

But on balance I believe I would still get the Fanatec unit. I have to say I have had very good customer service from them any time I needed it. Top class in fact.

Upvote 0

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 115 87.8%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 22 16.8%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 21 16.0%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 40 30.5%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 48 36.6%