Which Fanatec DD are you buying and why?

I couldn’t see this type of post anywhere and as I’m undecided on a DD1 or the PS4 version for extra compatibility right now thought I’d put this up, forgive me if it’s already been done.

He likes the software thinks the DD2 does well against the recent competition (SC2) said he couldn't hear the fan and that it has plenty of power, but he isn't a fan of the wobbly quick release and thinks they should offer a hard mounted solution.

That's pretty good considering he admitted being skeptical of the outrider design. I'm glad the DD2 is holding up to some scrutiny!

Upvote 0
A few things, 1. Barry is twisting the wheel rim in directions that in normal use doesn’t happen on purpose. 2. When pushed in that direction by accident it’s done very little compared to Barry twisting it with a lot of force as he normally does. 3. He’s got a third party QR attached to the Uni Hub attached to the longer shaft of the DD, which means he’s got a lot more leverage than you normally would with a normal setup. I don’t have much play in mine, in fact when I first got my DD2 I couldn’t even get any of my rims on it was so tight, only with some silicone spray was it possible.

Upvote 0
A few things, 1. Barry is twisting the wheel rim in directions that in normal use doesn’t happen on purpose. 2. When pushed in that direction by accident it’s done very little compared to Barry twisting it with a lot of force as he normally does. 3. He’s got a third party QR attached to the Uni Hub attached to the longer shaft of the DD, which means he’s got a lot more leverage than you normally would with a normal setup. I don’t have much play in mine, in fact when I first got my DD2 I couldn’t even get any of my rims on it was so tight, only with some silicone spray was it possible.

It is a difference, and I agree that it won't matter to many people, but I also don't think it is worth taking time to defend. In the end the Fanatec wheels which I consider their biggest asset are the reason I ordered an SC2 Pro. I've upgraded my McLaren GT3 wheel with the SRM shifter replacements which of course voided my warranty, but feel MUCH better and I've upgraded my 918 wheel with magnets which help some. In the end after upgrading my wheels I'm still not happy with them so I ordered a very pricey Precision Sim Engineering GT3 wheel to start with. Yes, it is very expensive, but the switch gear is absolutely top notch. The shifters are excellent and nothing needs to be upgraded. I couldn't see buying a DD2 and then needing a $200 adapter for each new wheel to give me a less solid connection and not even leverage their wireless USB connection. If I'm going to run a coiled wire anyway, then the SC2 seemed a more logical choice.

This is purely a matter of sensitization. Until you feel how much better paddle shifters can feel, you don't understand why someone would upgrade them. Until you feel better switch gear, you don't notice how meh what you are using feels.

Please keep in mind that these are toys that we play with for fun and I think both the DD2 and the SC2 are fine products that make perfect sense depending on your priorities. Since I decided to get the wheels I really want, the DD2 was no longer as good a match for me. If I decided I wanted to continue with my Fanatec wheels than the DD2 would have made more sense.

Upvote 0
It is a difference, and I agree that it won't matter to many people, but I also don't think it is worth taking time to defend. In the end the Fanatec wheels which I consider their biggest asset are the reason I ordered an SC2 Pro. I've upgraded my McLaren GT3 wheel with the SRM shifter replacements which of course voided my warranty, but feel MUCH better and I've upgraded my 918 wheel with magnets which help some. In the end after upgrading my wheels I'm still not happy with them so I ordered a very pricey Precision Sim Engineering GT3 wheel to start with. Yes, it is very expensive, but the switch gear is absolutely top notch. The shifters are excellent and nothing needs to be upgraded. I couldn't see buying a DD2 and then needing a $200 adapter for each new wheel to give me a less solid connection and not even leverage their wireless USB connection. If I'm going to run a coiled wire anyway, then the SC2 seemed a more logical choice.

Please keep in mind that these are toys that we play with for fun and I think both the DD2 and the SC2 are fine products that make perfect sense depending on your priorities. Since I decided to get the wheels I really want, the DD2 was no longer as good a match for me. If I decided I wanted to continue with my Fanatec wheels than the DD2 would have made more sense.

Not defending, just stating some important points that Barry left out which I think are worth mentioning. You said you would need to buy a Podium hub for every third party rim, but you would only need one, attach the QR of choice to that, job done, I’ll be looking into getting some third party rims in the future and that’s probably what I’ll do.

Upvote 0
Just attach a 3rd party quick release to podium hub which has a quick release.

You realize that you were complaining about Barry doing just that.

Once again if you are mostly running Fanatec wheels, the DD2 makes sense. I won't be running any Fanatec wheels.

It makes little sense for me to deal with multiple levels of quick release and also end up with steering wheels at different offsets to all of my controls. I don't want to have to readjust my wheel deck every time I change wheels.

Upvote 0
Surprised that Barry focused on the quick release / wheel mounting system ?

Having a solid secure zero play mount is a pretty big deal to Barry. He swaps out a lot of rims and has been using a Leo Bodnar wheelbase for years. His comments are consistent. He doesn't like play or flex in anything and thinks it takes away from feeling the FFB.

He had a LOT to say about it in his review of the SimuCube 2 and it's quick release as well at 21:24

I'm not saying that his priorities match everyone else's. I'm sure they don't.

In the end everyone will believe what they want and buy what they want.

Personally I have no idea how much of a difference it makes if any since I've never experienced a rigid mount before. As I said, at this point to me it's all about the wheels. I've made the assumption that either the DD2 or SC2 Pro would feel good to me, right or wrong I think they will both be a pretty huge jump and both feel pretty good to me. So now I patiently wait for my new wheel to arrive :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Surprised that Barry focused on the quick release / wheel mounting system ?

Having a solid secure zero play mount is a pretty big deal to Barry. He swaps out a lot of rims and has been using a Leo Bodnar wheelbase for years. His comments are consistent. He doesn't like play or flex in anything and thinks it takes away from feeling the FFB.

He had a LOT to say about it in his review of the SimuCube 2 and it's quick release as well at 21:24

I'm not saying that his priorities match everyone else's. I'm sure they don't.

In the end everyone will believe what they want and buy what they want.

Personally I have no idea how much of a difference it makes if any since I've never experienced a rigid mount before.

The motor doesn’t turn the wheel rim in the direction he had play, so it’s not going to effect FFB at all.

Upvote 0
The motor doesn’t turn the wheel rim in the direction he had play, so it’s not going to effect FFB at all.

Please don't go there, because that opens up a big mess, and yes I can prove scientifically that there is an impact on the forces that go into the rim and that it will vary with each installation based on the angle of the wheel vs. the angle the wheel is being pulled.

I can't prove that anyone would notice it, but just that the angular motion will not be 100% into the wheel if there is any play since we are not driving a wheel with a chain running perfectly in alignment with the wheel as it turns. However if there is play in the wheel and it were on a chain drive there would still be wobble and friction and heat generated from the flex.

The bottom line is that a quality product is judged by being solid as a rock. That is something firmly bound in our perceptions. Fanatec dropped off the line when he mentioned that because they knew that just by seeing that play in the wheel that their product would be perceived as being inferior to one where there was zero play.

Simple psychology and sales. He showed a difference that people could see. I won't argue what you can feel, I don't even know what I'm capable of feeling on this subject.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 428 69.4%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 267 43.3%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 285 46.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 126 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 168 27.2%
Back