Which Fanatec DD are you buying and why?

I couldn’t see this type of post anywhere and as I’m undecided on a DD1 or the PS4 version for extra compatibility right now thought I’d put this up, forgive me if it’s already been done.

Suprised noone is talking about oscillation.

Because those who have a DD base know most of the natural damper and natural friction he put in was responsible for that, that it was not enough to start with. With a belt driven base the friction and damping from that will effect how much oscillating you would get, with a direct drive regardless of make the software has to be set correctly, when he eventually input numbers closer to the Fanatec recommended numbers for those two settings it went away, with Natural Damper at 23-25 and Natural Friction at 3-5 I can let go of the wheel and no oscillating occurs. Other direct drive software is probably already setup with similar effects to stop that or the user including Barry would have dialled that in themselves in that other base software.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Well, I have DD base, different brand though, guess things are different in Fanatec universe.
But didn't he use damper at 100% with oscillation still present?
And when you need that much dampening to counteract oscillation, something is off with the controller, it shouldn't require that much to tame it down. I don't use any with AC, DR2.0, or rFactor2.

Upvote 0
Well, I have DD base, different brand though, guess things are different in Fanatec universe.
But didn't he use damper at 100% with oscillation still present?

Wrong Damper, the one you are referring to is the old one that’s there on the CSW and below also, the Natural Damper and Natural Friction are new for the DD bases which also replace the Drift Mode setting that’s not needed as the DD has far less friction and for that same reason these two new settings have to be set correctly to not only make it feel natural but also avoid oscillation.

I’m sure there’s an equivalent setting or settings in other direct drive software or it’s done in firmware to some extent that does the same thing it’s just Barry’s never dealt with this version of it being the first time he’s had a Fanatec DD, he could have checked the recommended settings and had a stable wheel straight away but I guess that might have been part of the testing or just to have something to say about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
DD QR PRINT.png

Upvote 0
Open source community for the win!

Maybe Fanatec can create a more permanent solid milled piece rather than a 3D printed part and put them in future releases.

BTW I'm sorry to say this, but something like this will only fan the flames more.

Upvote 0
Open source community for the win!

Maybe Fanatec can create a more permanent solid milled piece rather than a 3D printed part and put them in future releases.

The only issue is how to handle variation, which Barry seems to suggest is wheel side rather than base side that’s causing his flex, I suppose someone could slightly adjust this 3D printed accordingly. Still, most people don’t have the extreme or any flex that he had, but it will be interesting to see what Fanatec come up with and I’m very interested in the third party rim QR with no cables option they are working on, I wonder how that will work, Bluetooth module in it maybe to work with the new wireless Simucube 2 rims, that would be very nice and would add a lot of business to rim manufacturers.

Upvote 0
Personally I think BT is a complete Dead End. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

I think PSE's solution to include a couple dedicated USB wireless receiver chicklets is a much better solution that is compatible with EVERYTHING. BTW the 2nd receiver is just a spare. However the RIGHT solution would be for Fanatec to expose a complete USB port that can power the wheel. Then all people would need are short connector cables to go from their wheels to the USB plug.

No one wants to have to worry about turning their wheels on and off, or remember to charge them. If people use any of the full LED style formula one wheels, a local battery would be used up pretty quickly. The bottom line is that wireless options are not a good fit for this use case.

This is coming from someone who really didn't want to deal with coiled cables, but purchased an expensive wheel that uses a coiled cable when a wireless option was available because I absolutely don't trust BT for this application and didn't even want to deal with the USB receiver solution because of the required battery.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally I think BT is a complete Dead End. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

I think PSE's solution to include a couple dedicated USB wireless receiver chicklets is a much better solution that is compatible with EVERYTHING. However the RIGHT solution would be for Fanatec to expose a complete USB port that can power the wheel. Then all people would need are short connector cables to go from their wheels to the USB plug.

Indeed, I just heard that the Simucube 2 Bluetooth implementation is already hitting limits on what it can do on rims and they maybe looking into a second version. A USB port on the Podium Hub would have been killer, shorter cable, rotates with rim, works with third party rims with no fuss. It would be really nice if they allowed the USB Type-C like port the Podium Hub has to work like that with an adapter but doubtful.

Upvote 0
Indeed, I just heard that the Simucube 2 Bluetooth implementation is already hitting limits on what it can do on rims and they maybe looking into a second version. A USB port on the Podium Hub would have been killer, shorter cable, rotates with rim, works with third party rims with no fuss. It would be really nice if they allowed the USB Type-C like port the Podium Hub has to work like that with an adapter but doubtful.

I've said this before. That would be a killer feature and Fanatec is shooting themselves in the foot by not doing this. It's definitely one of the reasons I didn't buy a DD2, but maybe they have more profit in wheels than in the wheelbases and they want to encourage people to stick with compatible wheels.

There are other problems with the current Fanatec mount which concerned me. Their pins are a bit fragile and occasionally people have had the pins break off, sometimes inside the wheelbases. I've seen a few of the pins on one of my wheels move a bit which concerns me. I have only had two wheels for a few months and barely swapped them until just the last few weeks. So it didn't take long.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Do we see uncompressable ring coming from Fanatec, like a V3 brake performance kit, for a mere
81c0d2b8bdacdea3b0d0667b3e599710.png

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes