Which Fanatec DD are you buying and why?

I couldn’t see this type of post anywhere and as I’m undecided on a DD1 or the PS4 version for extra compatibility right now thought I’d put this up, forgive me if it’s already been done.

A little note: the locking ring should be put in revers!
Correct position:
QR_podium_z-ring_v14_rim_loaded.jpg

Incorrect position:
QR POSITION.png

Sim Racing Garage said:
Goog point. I tried that after the video was released. I didn't notice any difference in performance. But it makes sense that it will provide extra support for the Z-ring by having more surface area on the back of it. So that's the way it will stay.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
he also didn’t actually line up the gaps when clamping the QR back on once again like the manual states even though he mentioned about it while doing it,
As far as I can see he aligned the gaps.
This is his answer regarding the revers locking ring:
Sim Racing Garage said:
Goog point. I tried that after the video was released. I didn't notice any difference in performance. But it makes sense that it will provide extra support for the Z-ring by having more surface area on the back of it. So that's the way it will stay.

Upvote 0
As far as I can see he aligned the gaps.
This is his answer regarding the revers locking ring:

He did align them, initially as he talks about it, then as he’s tightening the two bolts and rotating the clamp to get to the other bolt he ends a bit out again, closer than the first time though. How much it matters I don’t know, probably got close enough not to matter at all, just says the word “ensure” in the manual is all.

I wonder if anyone else is going to come up with their own “flex fix”.

Upvote 0
He did align them, initially as he talks about it, then as he’s tightening the two bolts and rotating the clamp to get to the other bolt he ends a bit out again, closer than the first time though. How much it matters I don’t know, probably got close enough not to matter at all, just says the word “ensure” in the manual is all.

I wonder if anyone else is going to come up with their own “flex fix”.
Yours of pretending it doesn’t exist seems to be working well :whistling:.

I’m just playin’

Upvote 0
It's nice that people are out there coming up with solutions for all those "other people".

That said there is no perfect solution out there yet. I am at this point considering my wheels the long term investment like lenses in a camera system. The camera body is disposable like the wheel base. That said this analogy may break down soon. Camera bodies are going mirrorless allowing the lens to get right up close to the sensor and the lenses that optimize performance of mirrorless bodies are changing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
BTW some of features that come for the ride because Fanatec sells in volume are things like their trick OLED display.

SimuCube die hards may try to downplay the significance of features that they don't have, but these are nice things that it would be hard for Granite State to do in smaller volumes.

OTOH It could be the sheer size of the DD wheel bases that make space for something like that possible.

I continue to feel like you can slice this any way you want depending on your preferences.

Upvote 0
So the fanalabs software is out. In a release video, fanatec show the speed based wheel settings in action. Wonder how well this works.. probably allows higher settings in corners while not having oscillations on the straights at high speed. Is this what the SC2 static force reduction basically does, without telemetry?

Upvote 0
So the fanalabs software is out. In a release video, fanatec show the speed based wheel settings in action. Wonder how well this works.. probably allows higher settings in corners while not having oscillations on the straights at high speed. Is this what the SC2 static force reduction basically does, without telemetry?

There are many ways to skin a cat and the implementation matters more than the choice of how to do it. I've heard many people say that they didn't like the static force reduction feature and that it felt unnatural.

So I think it is all about how the software implements a feature. The real competition will be.to find ways to make the existing hardware feel better and I suspect the competition will be good and make every company in the business work harder to get that extra degree of detail in the most realistic way possible.

Remember none of us win if there is a single company that dominates the entire landscape. Competition will keep everyone on their toes to continuously improve how these products feel.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Would that wiggling and shifting affect operation and longevity of pin connectors?

Upvote 0
The DD2 has flex in the QR design, even if your subjective/biased experience is different from others.
Barry's 'extension' may indeed have amplified the existing flaw, but the flaw is there nonetheless.
I'm sure the DD2 will be an amazing setup for those coming from consumer grade belt driven wheels (CSW, Thrustmaster etc), but the fact remains that any flex is going to lose fidelity and feel. Just a simple, undeniable fact.
Feel free to rationalize this how you wish.

Fanatec had to keep the existing QR system to support their main asset, which is the thousands of wheels already out there in the ecosystem.
And for me that's a problem for quite a few of the products as the forces produced by the DD2 simply show the fact that the wheels themselves are not at all designed for these forces.
The 'formula' wheels (at least the Carbon) are fine as their design doesn't allow much flex, but the round or GT style wheels really show their weaknesses under such forces. I seem to recall some mention of the DD2 being able to detect some Fanatec wheels and turn down the forces to 'safe' limits for those products.

Here's a video of just how much flex there is in the actual Fanatec GT wheel connected to an Ascher button plate, and that's just with things stationary. I'm not pushing very hard at all, so what looks like 'force' is me trying to keep the DD motor from turning - there's no friction when it's powered down and rotates with virtually zero friction when it's off.
I can feel the wheel flexing in my hands under racing conditions and it's not a good experience when you are aware of it. Also, the longer you race, the more flexible the wheel gets from the bilateral torque which raises more concern about the craftsmanship of these wheels.
I'm guessing the round Fanatec wheels will all flex as their purpose is to look like the real deal, but are made from cheap materials to grind profit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fnbzcrpghuequfh/Fanatec GT Rim Flex.mp4?dl=0

Thomas is a shrewd businessman first and foremost, and Fanatec is all about profit, which is completely fine as no business can survive without profit!
But the products nonetheless look way better than they actually are in terms of function and durability, especially when you are about to subject them to forces they were never designed to endure - I've had my fair share of problems with Fanatec and their pretty awful customer service over the years, and I know I'm not an isolated case.

In the end, many will be fine with the flex, I personally could not pour more money into the Fanatec ecosystem when it's DD design is fundamentally compromised to accommodate products that really have no place on a 25nm DD motor.
Perhaps Fanatec will come up with a better solution, but I doubt they can if they want to keep backwards compatibility.

Unless you already have a bunch of Fanatec wheels, it would be worthwhile to step back and analyze why you want to invest upto $2K in a DD system and at least take the time to research other options.

I went Simucube, and it will likely be the last DD system I will buy. That's worth a lot to me.
YMMV

Upvote 0
I think it's important to realize that all the direct drive wheels are a big jump from a belted wheel.

We can debate which the very best is, but it doesn't mean we wouldn't be happy with either of them.

Upvote 0
I went with the DD1 PS4 for the compatibility.
I have no flex in my QR system.
I'm using low torque mode at 50%, it's enough for me.

Compare to my simplicity SW10+ the ffb is more filtered so you feel more like having tyres and springs.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea