Whats the point with this long steering shaft ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 963434
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 963434

• Deleted member 963434

I saw video of real life rally driver and yo can see how long steering shaft shes using. Yo think it just preference to have more space or can this somehow reduce oscillations or something? i mean then yo can sett bigger force and this force will be weaker cause of steering shaft weight? Anybody know something about it? Its not first steering shaft so long i saw in sim rigs, anybody know some tech about it or it just to have more space around wheel? My commons sense tells it may reduce oscillations.

• Deleted member 963434

but abous this steering shaft, HAHA i cant believe but just yesterday this thought came back to me as i was smoking and thinking, that such long steering shaft may alter ffb response for sure and make DD wheel more dampened/stable/not oscillating and work better at sumilating real steering shaft in real car, as in real cars we have like 1 meter long or more sttering shafts

Upvote 0
This is the Carlin Racing sim (they also have a larger one with projector. I believe it’s like this because it’s a formula style position and they needed room for the knees
115544C7-E72E-4A6C-B632-C9A21953A22E.jpeg

Upvote 0
The only reason I can see is packaging and adjustability.

My small Mige is mounted forward above the actuators connected to my wheel by a shaft with 2 x UJ`s.
This has been done for several reasons:
Structure of the rig. The mounting for the Mige acts as a cross brace between the actuators.
Adjustability. I need to be able to move my wheel up and down so my children can drive. It is easier to adjust a light column rather than 10kg of motor.
Monitors. With no motor I can get the monitors lower behind the wheel.

I dont believe the extra column will affect the FFB. The moment of interia of the column will be low and there will be no additional twist or play.

Upvote 0
I dont believe the extra column will affect the FFB. The moment of interia of the column will be low and there will be no additional twist or play.
Do you have anything to back this up? A light rim vs. a heavy rim already makes a massive difference to how the FFB feels. A long shaft such as the example above will definitely flex more than a short one, although for this one you can argue that it might be negligible (Especially when you're already adding a couple of KG's of steel shaft).

Upvote 0
I'm thinking it's the force to turn and inertia that's important not the overall mass or size. This being a small diameter shaft and mounted through a bearing. The length and overall mass doesn't matter as its supported at both ends.

You would need a decent accurate shaft for this. Any deviation would be amplified over the length. You might get other vibrations or resistance coming into play. Thinking about this, sometimes the wheel base will generate quite high vibration type forces through the wheel. I can imagine the longer the shaft there might be some loss of feedback detail?

Not 100% sure but I think this is the case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm thinking it's the force to turn and inertia that's important not the overall mass or size. This being a small diameter shaft and mounted through a bearing. The length and overall mass doesn't matter as its supported at both ends.

You would need a decent accurate shaft for this. Any deviation would be amplified over the length. You might get other vibrations or resistance coming into play. Thinking about this, sometimes the wheel base will generate quite high vibration type forces through the wheel. I can imagine the longer the shaft there might be some loss of feedback detail?

Not 100% sure but I think this is the case.
Mass is one of the most significant variables when calculating inertia, so i guess this is not correct and you cant ignore mass of axle this long and heavy. Probably those industrial tier motors have enough power so you dont see (edit: feel) much change, but its still there.
edit2: still think the thread is pointless and we are feeding a troll

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back