Whats the point with this long steering shaft ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 963434
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 963434

• Deleted member 963434

I saw video of real life rally driver and yo can see how long steering shaft shes using. Yo think it just preference to have more space or can this somehow reduce oscillations or something? i mean then yo can sett bigger force and this force will be weaker cause of steering shaft weight? Anybody know something about it? Its not first steering shaft so long i saw in sim rigs, anybody know some tech about it or it just to have more space around wheel? My commons sense tells it may reduce oscillations.

Beano's rig (he keeps a thread dedicated to his rig on the iRacing hardware forum) had a long shaft. I think he's changed it, but if you read back in his thread, I'm sure you'll find a photo of it.

I too thought that it would only add more play in the rim and the only benefit would be if you needed to keep your wheel base further behind your screens.

Upvote 0
The couple of times I've seen it/worked with it was for space reasons. If anything, it'll make the FFB less detailed because of the increased weight, just like heavy rims do.
I have a friend who noticed a good amount of flex with a long shaft too, even when using high quality metal.
I personally think it has more drawbacks than benefits.

Upvote 0
More mass, but quite likely negligible extra moment of inertia, no?
And you can address the bending by having supports in the right places, so maybe all you really need to worry about is twisting - probably easily prevented by having a strong enough bar in the first place...

The word is "you" - please, can you just add the 'u' each time you type it before I have to block you for the sake of my own sanity?!
And yes, this!!

Upvote 0
Its a long shaft yeah, but if its kept to aluminium or even carbon fiber (hollow CF tubes are fairly accessible pricewise) it shouldnt affect the motor much, if any.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 963434

Mods please remove this thread, this guy is obviously a troll, look at how many threads with absurd means he posted (Edit: started)!
whats yo problem mate? maybe i just have many questions?

The couple of times I've seen it/worked with it was for space reasons. If anything, it'll make the FFB less detailed because of the increased weight, just like heavy rims do.
I have a friend who noticed a good amount of flex with a long shaft too, even when using high quality metal.
I personally think it has more drawbacks than benefits.
so i think it may simulate suspension better? like in iracing there is so raw ffb, iv set mine to 20 nm wheel as i have wheel force at max 20 nm in driver, then set strength at 6, i believe its 6 nm then ? and even wit such low strength when im braking force get so big my motor make loud noise, i think such long steering shaft mayb lower this noise? I know if you druive car with no suspension wheel be so agrressive under braking too, but as real cars have suspension it dumpens strong forces, and maybe long shaft will dumpen wheel so much you could still use high wheel force without caring of such big ffb spikes? And without putting driver damping which dampening spikes but also dampening small forces

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 963434

if i have more money i want to spend ill consider buying myself such long steering shaft, but now i cant afford it also i have no rig to mount this onto

Upvote 0
I feel like it may simulate the specific case of a higher spec rally car better? As those move the driver rearward and lengthen the steering shaft.

But it shouldn't change intertia around the steering axis any more than simply a higher weigth rim.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 1234936

Hello Peeps,

Has Anyone fitted, or heard of fitting the dd to the rig, where the steering box/rack & pinion would be in an actual car? use a proper steering shaft appropriately mounted?

I wonder if this would improve the feel & immersion.

J

Upvote 0
In this very specific configuration I dont see any reason why to do it. I have seen a number do it in a formula style rig where there is no room for it to fit right behind the rim.

In the video it doesnt actually look like having it behind the rim would interfere with anything.

Upvote 0
Mods please remove this thread, this guy is obviously a troll, look at how many threads with absurd means he posted (Edit: started)!

sorry for necro'ing this thread, but i see a pattern, now more than before:

1613827759501.png

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back