What is your favorite type of racing?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
timthumb.jpg

Formula One remains the undisputed king of the motorsport TV ratings - but are you an open wheel, or tin top kind of fan?

For me personally touring car racing is, and always will be, the absolute pinnacle of what motorsport can offer. I love the door-handle to door-handle fights that touring car racing provides, and the accessibility in terms of both technology and access the sport offers.. but, I also like pretty much every form of motorsport besides the glory of a full touring car field.

Now recently I spoke to someone at work, who for him motorsport begins and ends with Formula One. This got me thinking... I wonder what type of racing appeals most to our community here at RD?

So, do you prefer your action under a roof, or are you more of an open wheel type fan?

Let us know in the comments section below!

P.s. I'm not referring to specific series here, just a much more general question about open wheelers and tin top or GT style racing...

Image credit: www.blancpain-gt-series.com

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Ghoults

Lasse Luisu
I put touring cars because I'd guess that is the closest thing to 70s, 80s and even 90s rwd race cars. And fwd touring cars are very good for racing even if the driving experience is not as fun for me. I think the actual term is historic sportscars in most cases although I don't really care for gt cars and prototypes at all.

The list could also add couple more categories. Like road cars and track day cars. Anybody who doesn't like driving things like caterhams, f40s and the like simply has wrong opinion :p. Oval racing is another glaring omission.

For me on top of the chain has to be F1 but anytime when F1 isnt on i can go a tune in into GT, endurance or other forms of racing, thats the beauty, you can watch anything race

F1 all the way. I grow up with it, and still in love with it after 15+ years, despite some problems here and there.
But im a real motorsport guy so i watch or play almost everything related to racing/motorsports.

Some of my favourites are the Blancpain GT series,WEC,F2 and DTM, former WTCC, now WTCR.
Honorable mention: Indycar, V8 Supercars,Porsche supercup, NASCAR. Endurance GT races/ IMSA.
Even WRC,WRX can be really fun!

I must say endurance and touring cars (and rally though that is not an option). For me GT3s are well behaved touring cars and I used to love touring car racing in the 90s. The cars reached the end of the race dirty andlooking battered. Like they actually did a bloody race. Indy Car is a new found love due to all the close racing but I don't have the patience to F1. Too well behaved. Too scripted if you will.
Now with the LMP1s out of WEC I don't know if I will continue to follow. I do love the lmp2s and GET cars though. But the new "hypercars" feel like a step back to me.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 87 19.5%
  • €151-500

Votes: 121 27.1%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 73 16.3%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 39 8.7%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 45 10.1%
  • €3001-5000