WEC | Peugeot Announce 2022 Hypercar Intentions

I doubt Nissan ever seriously wanted to challenge for Le Mans. By building a ridiculous race car they got the same PR for a fraction of the cost. They never even bothered to race outside of Le Mans, it was a shameful PR exercise.
Yeah the Nissan Le Mans debacle was an interesting one. I never really could peg if they took that effort seriously or not. If they did take it seriously than they would have returned the following year with a totally different approach. You don't just "show up" and win at Le Mans.

From what I've seen they're going to be in the new "Hypercar" class. In this new class, they have to derive the hybrid system from a road car. Not the whole car.

Right ok, so its still going to look like an LMP then? Also what if the hybrid system is just what they use say in a Prius, but its going up against a hybrid system of say a McLaren Senna? Isn't that something of a mis-match?

Right ok, so its still going to look like an LMP then? Also what if the hybrid system is just what they use say in a Prius, but its going up against a hybrid system of say a McLaren Senna? Isn't that something of a mis-match?
That would be a mismatch yes, the current rules are very unclear as to what they will allow. And no, they won't look like the LMP1 cars of today. Most likely, the confirmed manufacturers will build a work-horse for development and then develop that workhorse into a road going car. Glickenhaus was the first confirmed entry. They're powered by Honda, so I'll assume that they'll probably work with the new NSX powertrain. But these were their design prototypes:

I should clarify that I am not involved with them at all. These were their designs that were available in a basic google search. As far as the powertrain is concerned, that is pure speculation and should be taken with a grain of salt as I'm some idiot on the internet. :)

Attachments

• SGC hypercar.jpg
    SGC hypercar.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 107
  • glickenhaus.jpg
    glickenhaus.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 110

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling