We Check Out the Fanatec Direct Drive Wheel

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Fanatec DD Wheel 1.JPG

At the 2017 Sim Racing Expo today I had the chance to check out the new Fanatec Direct Drive wheel... here are my first impressions.

Now before going any further I need to give out some caveats. My time with the wheel was limited and used with the so far unreleased Project CARS 2 software. I had over three and a half laps at Spa in PCARS 2, under race conditions at night. Not an ideal scenario to give a serious and informed opinion, but enough to at least give me an idea of what we can expect to find come release day.

Using the Porsche rim from the Fanatec ClubSport range, the wheel felt like a marked step up from my personal ClubSport V2 I use regularly at home. The initial weight of the wheel on first turn into a corner carried more force, as did the step up in resistance once additional forces were applied to the car under heavy cornering.

The build quality was the usual Fanatec standard, well put together, stylish in finish and I must say a rather neat and "cool" solution in comparison to some of the other Direct Drive products available in the marketplace today.

Having spoken with Endor CEO Thomas Jackermeier at length about the new range (interview video to follow later), he confirmed the Podium series of wheels will be compatible with earlier ClubSport rims as well as receiving a brand new range of rims, pedals and accessories further down the line. Additional confirmation was given that two different DD units will be produced, both containing the same housing but with different torque strengths.

No release date has been confirmed as yet, however early development units are under testing as we speak.

RaceDepartment have requested and have been approved for a long term test unit, of which we will put through its paces once it arrives and give you a full and detailed review in the coming months.

Fanatec DD Wheel 2.JPG Fanatec DD Wheel 3.JPG Fanatec DD Wheel 6.JPG

Stay tuned to RaceDepartment for more news and insight from the Sim Racing Expo over the next few days and follow us on social media at on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Fanatec DD Wheel 5.JPG
Fanatec DD Wheel 4.JPG

Looking forward to the Fanatec Direct Drive range of products? Can the company challenge the established DD manufacturers? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
You will be restriced because thats the way fanatec have always been, they build elctronic parts in the their rims, and the base unit will not work at all unless it detects a fanatec rim or hub is plugged in, they do this to stop people using 3rd party rims without using their hub at least, they will most certainly be locking people in to their rims in my opinion. Plus they also stated that if the DD base detects one of their budget rims is plugged in it will lower the torque, so i can't see them just selling a base and allowing any rim without their hub when thats's not been the case ever.
That's a good point that I didn't think of earlier, they do have a system in place to detect the wheel being used so I imagine they will use that to full effect.

Upvote 0
There is a lot less parts that have to be assembled and function properly for many years. Probably a lower fault return rate to factory too, compared to the Clubsport series. These big servo's are much more capable of running flawless under heavy duty. So the price might be not even that out of reach. Starting a bit above 750 price for the lower spec motor and maybe close to a 1000 for the stronger servo is my guess. But lets see the reviews first before we all get too excited.

Upvote 0
You will be restriced because thats the way fanatec have always been, they build elctronic parts in the their rims, and the base unit will not work at all unless it detects a fanatec rim or hub is plugged in, they do this to stop people using 3rd party rims without using their hub at least, they will most certainly be locking people in to their rims in my opinion. Plus they also stated that if the DD base detects one of their budget rims is plugged in it will lower the torque, so i can't see them just selling a base and allowing any rim without their hub when thats's not been the case ever.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts, I didn't want to post because I wasn't sure, but I thought I had read that somewhere too.

Are the current fanatec quick releases good enough for DD? I've heard of them developing play over time when converted? Which is why the holger qr1 or q1r is used? I'm not really knowledgeable about DD, just repeating what I've read elsewhere.

Edit: @Furnace Inferno if you do any rallying or drifting be careful with the porsche rim as the rev light display has square boxy edges which can hurt your hands when throwing it about. It's a beautiful rim but it's caught me a couple of times when rallying with the v2.5 on drift settings.

Upvote 0
Regarding the Fanatec CSW-v2 / v2.5 vs the AccuForce base kit; you have a point in terms of the hardware vs cost but, not in terms of the system's overall performance benefits because the AccuForce is far more capable and durable than the CSW line..
Yep, sorry RaceNut.. I certainly wasn't suggesting that the CSW was even close to a DD in terms of performance, merely the price point spread between Fanatecs current 'high end' base versus their competitors lowest/entry point.

I was just guessing thats what their marketing guys would look at when determining pricing and it'd be closer to the Simxperience "Your Way" DD wheel pricing ($900) than their current CSW 2.5 ($500).

Either way, it should be interesting to see where all ours guessing lands and how that affects the pricing of their competitors.

Yep, the winner here is us sim racers..!!

Upvote 0
Are the current fanatec quick releases good enough for DD? I've heard of them developing play over time when converted? Which is why the holger qr1 or q1r is used? I'm not really knowledgeable about DD, just repeating what I've read elsewhere.

From my reading, the older Fanatec QR's did have some issues and the newer versions seem to be holding up well so far but, without DD-specs, it's difficult to predict. For really bullet-proof QR's, the Q1R can't be beat but, quite expensive - especially if you use multiple wheels.

Upvote 0
Yep, sorry RaceNut.. I certainly wasn't suggesting that the CSW was even close to a DD in terms of performance, merely the price point spread between Fanatecs current 'high end' base versus their competitors lowest/entry point.

I was just guessing thats what their marketing guys would look at when determining pricing and it'd be closer to the Simxperience "Your Way" DD wheel pricing ($900) than their current CSW 2.5 ($500).

Either way, it should be interesting to see where all ours guessing lands and how that affects the pricing of their competitors.

Yep, the winner here is us sim racers..!!
No worries Paul, just thought it was worth some clarification. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Thanks for confirming my thoughts, I didn't want to post because I wasn't sure, but I thought I had read that somewhere too.

Edit: @Furnace Inferno if you do any rallying or drifting be careful with the porsche rim as the rev light display has square boxy edges which can hurt your hands when throwing it about. It's a beautiful rim but it's caught me a couple of times when rallying with the v2.5 on drift settings.
I did wonder about that and now I game in VR I don't need the rev lights, probably best to stick with the hub then and see if the base releases with a new rim.

Upvote 0
I like the Accuforce as well because of the company, however being a SimExperience (SimVibe) user I am not at all a fan of the software. If Fanatec has a simple, easy to use and easy to tune software component that would definitely sway me in their direction.

Upvote 0
I've must become so obsolete these days... seems like this kinky shiny wheel is very popular round here and ...this is literally the first time I've ever hard of it !?! :barefoot:
Errrr I hear some Korean all boys band is popular these days. They got 7 (yes SEVEN, as much as there is deadly sins) members in it, you guys have any opinion of it ? :geek: I out-Googled "how to stay up-to-date with the latest fashion trends", you won't catch me unprepared this time ! :sneaky:

Upvote 0
I like the Accuforce as well because of the company, however being a SimExperience (SimVibe) user I am not at all a fan of the software. If Fanatec has a simple, easy to use and easy to tune software component that would definitely sway me in their direction.
Just spend a day tuning their software instead of setting up a car. It's great software, easy to use. Once you get in to it.

Upvote 0
Yeh £900 is my betting for the base model, I would think they would want people to save up extra to get the DD over the V2.5 as the markup is probably the same and therefore more profit but even if it were only €250 more a lot of people wouldn't pay the extra just like lots of people won't go higher than Logitech wheels even though a better Thrustmaster set isn't significantly more. It's just perspective, I'm less bothered by price differences so paying £200 more for something isn't an issue but paying £200 for something not very good relative to what's available I consider a waste of £200 but I have been too far the other direction to learn there are diminishing returns!

Better than the P1 rim sure but the Porsche rim and F1 rim are great, the latter not being too expensive at €230. The XB1 Universal I have is great too but definitely inflated cost for XB1 compatibility which I don't even need, I'd be tempted to swap it for the Porsche rim I think. Anyway when spending that kind of money like I said from my perspective spending £1000 on a DD wheel and using a cheap wheel makes no sense which is why I didn't even think you were comparing it to the plastic Fanatec rims.

P.S. Didn't mean to mark your post as angry I'm on my phone and it decided to select that even though I changed it!
Well the steering wheel i have is pretty much identicle to a MOMO, same shape same thickness same strength and used in real race cars, it's just from a brand that don't overcharge for a name. It's incredibly strong. The button box itself is cheap but the buttons and material etc are high quality, and i only bought it because i wanted flappy paddles, i probably won't end up using most of the buttons, i will use the nobs for turning ABS and TC up and down and a button for DRS, and that's it. theres no point spending more on a more expensive button plate just because its made of metal or carbon and has lights etc, which i won't use, that was my logic. Fanatec wheels have fancy lights and displays and you can change setting from their wheel which is fantastic and does make it worth the extra cost if you use those things, but i myself have no use for it, i race in VR :) So a cheapo button plate is more than enougth for my use. Anyway although it's cheap, it looks exactly like a real button plate you would find in a real GT car, nothing about it looks cheap at all, except it has no displays. I mean its plastic but i could alsways but a sheet of aluminium and redo it, all of Fanatecs rims even the high end ones are plastic cased button boxes, not metal. The wheels are metal but not the rear button section. Link below...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Frontal-steering-wheel-paddle-shifter-usb-coil-THRUSTMASTER-pclogitech-320-350/282630801394?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well the steering wheel i have is pretty much identicle to a MOMO, same shape same thickness same strength and used in real race cars, it's just from a brand that don't overcharge for a name. It's incredibly strong. The button box itself is cheap but the buttons and material etc are high quality, and i only bought it because i wanted flappy paddles, i probably won't end up using most of the buttons, i will use the nobs for turning ABS and TC up and down and a button for DRS, and that's it. theres no point spending more on a more expensive button plate just because its made of metal or carbon and has lights etc, which i won't use, that was my logic. Fanatec wheels have fancy lights and displays and you can change setting from their wheel which is fantastic and does make it worth the extra cost if you use those things, but i myself have no use for it, i race in VR :) So a cheapo button plate is more than enougth for my use. Anyway although it's cheap, it looks exactly like a real button plate you would find in a real GT car, nothing about it looks cheap at all, except it has no displays. I mean its plastic but i could alsways but a sheet of aluminium and redo it, all of Fanatecs rims even the high end ones are plastic cased button boxes, not metal. The wheels are metal but not the rear button section. Link below...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Frontal-steering-wheel-paddle-shifter-usb-coil-THRUSTMASTER-pclogitech-320-350/282630801394?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
The universal hub is all metal which is why it's so heavy but I will agree on VR, as long as the buttons feel good it doesn't matter what it looks like or if there are rev lights.

You still have an extra cord for the rim though which I really don't want and that is far more difficult and expensive to do on a custom wheel. I guess I'm bothered by plastic because my experiences have been with cheaper plastic wheels where you can feel the flex and creaking and in VR especially you really notice any issue which shouldn't be there.

Upvote 0
Besides a DD wheel (unrelated to a company), i would prefer high tech pedals instead of a DD wheel. Braking and Throttle are far more important. FFB is coded by the game makers. Maybe the FFB is more sharp as effect itself but a DD wheel will not "create" better effects. If a game lacks certain ffb feelings, a DD wont solve that. The magic is the hands - feet coordination and i think a lot of simracers gain more with better pedals (far more accurate trail braking and throtteling) than DD wheel...

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea