We Check Out the Fanatec Direct Drive Wheel

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Fanatec DD Wheel 1.JPG

At the 2017 Sim Racing Expo today I had the chance to check out the new Fanatec Direct Drive wheel... here are my first impressions.

Now before going any further I need to give out some caveats. My time with the wheel was limited and used with the so far unreleased Project CARS 2 software. I had over three and a half laps at Spa in PCARS 2, under race conditions at night. Not an ideal scenario to give a serious and informed opinion, but enough to at least give me an idea of what we can expect to find come release day.

Using the Porsche rim from the Fanatec ClubSport range, the wheel felt like a marked step up from my personal ClubSport V2 I use regularly at home. The initial weight of the wheel on first turn into a corner carried more force, as did the step up in resistance once additional forces were applied to the car under heavy cornering.

The build quality was the usual Fanatec standard, well put together, stylish in finish and I must say a rather neat and "cool" solution in comparison to some of the other Direct Drive products available in the marketplace today.

Having spoken with Endor CEO Thomas Jackermeier at length about the new range (interview video to follow later), he confirmed the Podium series of wheels will be compatible with earlier ClubSport rims as well as receiving a brand new range of rims, pedals and accessories further down the line. Additional confirmation was given that two different DD units will be produced, both containing the same housing but with different torque strengths.

No release date has been confirmed as yet, however early development units are under testing as we speak.

RaceDepartment have requested and have been approved for a long term test unit, of which we will put through its paces once it arrives and give you a full and detailed review in the coming months.

Fanatec DD Wheel 2.JPG Fanatec DD Wheel 3.JPG Fanatec DD Wheel 6.JPG

Stay tuned to RaceDepartment for more news and insight from the Sim Racing Expo over the next few days and follow us on social media at on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Fanatec DD Wheel 5.JPG
Fanatec DD Wheel 4.JPG

Looking forward to the Fanatec Direct Drive range of products? Can the company challenge the established DD manufacturers? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Is it going to a Merry Christmas with a CSW v2.5 or a Very Merry Christmas with the DD? Any target price point given on the unit?

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 6919

Hmm looks bloody ugly to me, hope they don't go with that paint scheme...Interesting on that rig the way they have mounted it..but I'm sure it will mount like most bases do as well..

Upvote 0
A little surprised that the development isnt further ahead. I get the design option, but I think turning up with a finished gleaming thing of beauty would've served them well. That looks a little like something someone knocked up in a shed.
Does it? Can you qualify that statement in some way? What do you mean? I don't have a lathe, or any of the other machine tools you'd need, in my shed. Wish I did. Your comment seems a bit negative to my untrained eye, given that it's based on a few pics.

Upvote 0
Even without the wrap it's not exactly a thing of beauty, maybe the design will change or if it's black & same design it might look ok. I guess with such a large motor + electronics it's going to be big & bulky but i think i just prefer the look of the motor on its own like Accuforce or Bodner.

Upvote 0
I didn't try it because too many people waiting, but at least i should have asked if they have developed a software taking the information from the shared memory like the Accuforce with Sim Commander or if they using Direct Input like all other wheels.

Upvote 0
I think it looks like that for the purpose of, hey look at me, just to draw attention to itself and one's interest.
It certainly would have got my attention if it was black chrome. Oh yeah.

Upvote 0
Everyone talking about the weird wrap, but no one says anything about using Pcars 2? Did they only preview with Pcars 2 or did they use other sims? Is this saying something good about Pcars 2 FFB or is this just marketing?

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 328 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 221 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.8%
  • < 5 years