W10 - BUILD 1809

• Deleted member 197115

* DURGE DRIVEN
* Windows 10 Hacks
* and
* Life Lessons
:laugh:

You could still partition your M2 mate :)

1. Copy the entire steam folder to another drive I know it is a drama

2. Open management / disk management and shrink your OS so C:\ is only as big as you need
To work that out highlight everything but steam and check total size then add 50% free space
( I don't particularly like this way but easier then reinstall )
ie: my W10 is about 25GB but I use 75GB partition

3. Use free space to create D:\ drive

4. copy steam back to D:

5. make a new shortcut for steam it will work the same on any partition

The beauty is now the OS is self contained and smaller to backup ;)

*** If using D drive is a hassle because shortcuts on other drives won't work because you have to move them up one drive letter ............. then make Steam the last drive letter , easy ;)

Last edited:
I've used 100gb for os, 340 for steam and am leaving the rest set aside. There maybe room already set aside by the manufacturer (OEM Samsung 860 evo) but i'm not sure so...

Have a couple of 1tb 6gbps hdd's for bulk storage and backups when needed. I know i'm a bit of a dinosaur bit simple works for me. :D

Ah sweet you partitioned it

;)

Windows updates/backup and chrome will chew up GBs and GBs if you do nothing
If you clean properly they will be minuscule

Untitled_1.jpg

So extra 25GB can be used for sims

For peace of mind a fresh FULL TrueImage backup/restore of C:\ drive takes me 3 minutes .................3 minutes :)

Only thing I don't like is having to index files so Grand Prix Legends tools work

P.S. C:\ Drive should have only 5 folders like mine...otherwise your trueimage or backup will have garbo

Last edited:
Here is real beauty for me of my way

1. I use True Image yes but that is not fail-safe

2. Every new windows version I do a fresh OS and only keep old image for a week or so to be safe then delete it and make a new one

3. For fresh OS I use a system where I have a backup of every single file, setting and " standalone programs" about 40 apps which I just drop into a fresh OS

Instantly I have browser, bookmarks, passwords set, all apps in startmenu and classic shell shortcuts
You would be surprised the apps you can make standalone so they never need setup again

4. This makes my program features virtually empty meaning less registry again

The "copy to C" folder is barely 500mb but it sets up virtually everything in one hit ....that is why I never understood people saying fresh W10 is too hard
and takes ages

Untitled_1.jpg

I did back up my few files on the C:\ drive but had no issues ether.
For me W10 works great, better than W7 in pretty much all aspects.

Still I would not use it was it not for my WMR headset.
Find it obnoxious that you pay for it and they still spy on you and sell the data!
Now it is our own governments that has failed to protect it's citizen.

My guess is that I will soon (again) go dual boot with Ubuntu/wine and then W10 for VR.

With everything else on the internet you can pretty much assume: If it is free then you are the product.

I did another fresh install iron out a few glitches in setup and bugs with my backup archive

Fixed everything else but this this time had weird error in updates failed install but no re-install

The only driver update is for my 2nd K/B-Mouse dongles for the simulator otherwise be clean
.....won't get that connecting internet even if you set no hardware updates ;)

Apart from that ironed out some bugs in setup, one game or app overwrites VB2015 ( i install from 2008 to 2017 in one hit ) but whatever updates it removes it from program features
and if I try to install my archived one again to get the " repair" response it gives a error
No problem must be working okay ........also fixed media tool so AU/AU language at setup
W10-UPDATES.jpg

Nailing down copying saved W10 and Classic start menus in backup if I don't say myself p
This time I tried installing all software not standalone then added
standalone apps then the start menus and just deleted the doubles, worked 99%
I use Steam to boot but like having full sim menu with slide out, can't do that in W10
CLASSIC-MENU.jpg

Same BUG on another attempt

I disconnected everything bar my two M2's and keyboard/mouse
Fresh 1809 offline fully setup running 100%
Go online start updates
1. The Cumulative update fails then downloads but as before it will download over and over again every-time you run updates. On my previous install it had 3 successful updates of the same KB ?
ie: every time I updated it adds another entry of the same KB

2. That Anti-malware update starts stops, fails then never downloads again

Can you check update history see if you have similar please, thanks

Here is the interesting thing, in all my years using tuneup this has never happened.
There is 20-30mb that won't delete nor does it show in lists

As you can see here I have all browsers selected and there is no where near 20mb+ to delete

So I have got missing "windows files" ........ my guess is the anti-malware update :O_o:.............

update-bug-2.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that :) as long as you don't want to drive all new stuff or upgrade hardware
Older hardware I use W7

Still does not fix it 100%
TuneUp still has 17.8mb ( about 320 files ) down from the 32mb to delete it can't find p

Last edited:
Forza Motorsport 7 Forza Horizon 4, Wreckfest (Vista), Steam VR, DirectX 12

My last 2 Intel setups ( Kaby & Coffee ) would not even run W7 properly

I could give a dozen reasons why to stick with W7 but in the end they are all irrelevant
( only relevant to individual users ......like low power PC, old titles /hardware won't run on W10, can't afford , etc )

Personally I think reasons are mostly hysteria and fear of change

P.S.
I believe Oculus Rift has also dropped W7 recently ?
XBox that can be played on PC needs W10 for streaming I think ?

Last edited:
Don't believe me well Here ….July download still says JUNE

Now 99.9% of users would not know because they let windows online do everything for them :rolleyes:
they would not know how to run MSRT to begin with lol sorry but its true

MSRT_screw_up.jpg

I reported other errors like that, never get a thank you from Microsoft

By tomorrow it should be linked to v5.74 not v5.73

Last edited:
Here is the updates for me to do manually and up to date

Untitled-1.jpg

In 1903 they added my Ethernet and Mediatek (Tablet/Phone) drivers ...so 2 less needed

#1 is mpam-fe and MSRT
#4 is STACK which makes sure Cumulative updates install properly and never twice (2) ;)

This way you will never have a update fail to install, I detest that because it leaves Fail in history
OCD lol

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back