W10 - BUILD 1809

LOL, so about 9.5 years ago I built a Window 7 tower that has been incrementally upgraded over the years with everything replaced at least once. I've run my business from this computer for almost a decade.

There are Visual Studio versions on it all the way back to VS 2008.

Today I cloned the boot drive to a fresh 1Tb SSD and carefully stored the old Windows 7 boot drive a 512Gb 840 Pro.

I got to try out that new Windows 10 Media Tool and am currently in the middle of an upgrade to Windows 10.

39% complete.....

Wish me luck!

Also just played a lot of musical chairs with SSD's. Put a 2Tb SSD on my gaming computer and cloned the old 256Gb 840 EVO to a recent 1Tb 860 EVO.

I used to keep a backup computer built from old parts. Now I'm making my gaming and dev system similar so my dev backup is actually a more powerful computer and I will upgrade more frequently.

;)

Look what it does now puts 2 copies of the MSRT update both say JULY but click on either and you are taken to JUNE v5.73 still ..

MSRT-1.jpg

Searched and found JULY v5.74 on Softpedia, did fresh OS, ran a quick scan with v5.74 and all fixed ;)
As you see below no "OTHER UPDATES" heading

MSRT-2.jpg

Microsoft Catalog still has the wrong link :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well 2004 is good surprise
downloaded latest stack + adobe ( good riddance next year ) + cumulative update
windows added 2 antimalware 1 antivirus
Very smooth feeling so far
Booting and restarting faster then 1909 for sure
Seems my idle is 5C lower with 2004

rF2 on new 4K TV looks so nice and cheap panel amazing
Still waiting on word when new rig is dispatched
First time in long time I get anxious about new hardware

build 2004.jpg

Now switched to Win10 20H2 (build 19042.330) with EDGE 83.0.478.54.
Again....every sim I own runs excellent...so crashes, no stutter.
That includes RF2,RRE, AMS1&2, AC, ACC, GTR2 and GT Legends.
I'm using Nvidia driver 455.41.

Last edited:
The Edge update bricked my Fanatec wheel. It's detected in game controller settings and wheel page, all inputs work, all the buttons work... But in game it's completely dead. Steam controller settings are disabled and even non Steam sims are completely dead.
Like I said, it's not the wheel because it works fine in Fanatec wheel property page. And tuning menu on wheel and everything works fine.
But after the Edge update it just doesn't work in games/sims. And yes I reinstalled drivers, updated drivers, connected it to different USB ports.
I'm a former IT tech so I did all the standard stuff. I'm going to have to use a W10 restore disk to roll back because M$ made the Edge update "unable" to be uninstalled...

It's not "just" a browser update. The update changed system settings and system drivers. If it were "just" a browser, Microsoft wouldn't have went out of their way to make this update permanent and irreversible.
Hope you get it sorted. It's been a pain for me too in the past couple of days.
It reverted my drivers back to some 2019 ones, and reset many of my FOV/resolution settings in various games.
It makes me mad when these updates cause so much disruption to my system. Windows 10 runs fine generally, but I wish they would get their act together over this, especially the stupidity of arbitrarily installing older drivers over my preferred ones.

My main complaint about Windows is the fact that I want it as an operating system to run my games, nothing else. There should be an option to opt out of all the unnecessary dressings - alexa, games, and many other things that I simply do not need. It's an OS, not an entertainment package.

I managed to figure out how to fix it:
For the record, nothing about my drivers, system or settings or USB port connections changed before the Windows update. So I have no idea what caused this but it definitely was the Windows update.
1. I cannot use Fanatec as the wheel selection in Project Cars 2 anymore. (Deleting PC2 folder, reset to defaults inside PC2 controller menu didn't work)
2. In the following order: Shut down your wheel, uninstall Fanatec wheel drivers, restart your PC, install or update to newer Fanatec driver (I'm on 362), restart computer, wait until in Windows and turn on your wheel, confirm it works in Fanatec wheel property page.
3. For ACC/AC - Didn't have to do anything. It detected all my settings after the driver dance, didn't even have to configure buttons again.
4. For iRacing - You will have to configure everything. Not just the wheel, but the button mappings as well. Even if the buttons are the same, you have to map them again. Recenter VR HMD, pit limiter, etc, all have to be mapped again. After that, calibrate your wheel/pedals.
5. For Project Cars 2 - Completely uninstall the game and delete /Project Cars 2 from Documents. After uninstalling, reinstall again from Steam. Inside the game menu, go to Controls and change from Fanatec 2.5 to "Custom Wheel" with "Separate" pedals. Scroll down and "Reset to Default". Go to mappings and set steering left/right, throttle, brake and clutch. Those are considered "necessary mappings" in order to calibrate the wheel. Once those are mapped, go back to the wheel page and calibrate wheel and pedals. After this, you can install your custom FFB/VR graphics files again.

How do I know it was the Windows update? Because I just spent 5 hours reinstalling Windows 10 to an earlier version before the Chromium update and my wheel worked fine in PC2.
But I want a secure system, so I updated to 2004 and Chromium update and decided to just try to get it to work. Now that everything is resolved, the main difference between the 2004/Chromium update and previous version is that I can no longer see "Fanatec CS 2.5" in my wheel page on PC2. It's straight up not being detected when that option is selected. I have to use Custom wheel.

How do I know it was the Windows update? Because I just spent 5 hours reinstalling Windows 10 to an earlier version before the Chromium update and my wheel worked fine in PC2.

If it was the Windows update to Edge that did it, why aren't the forums full of Fanatec users complaining about their wheels not working? As Martin Fiala showed with the link, the only thing the Edge update affects is the browser.

I managed to figure out how to fix it:
For the record, nothing about my drivers, system or settings or USB port connections changed before the Windows update. So I have no idea what caused this but it definitely was the Windows update.
1. I cannot use Fanatec as the wheel selection in Project Cars 2 anymore. (Deleting PC2 folder, reset to defaults inside PC2 controller menu didn't work)
2. In the following order: Shut down your wheel, uninstall Fanatec wheel drivers, restart your PC, install or update to newer Fanatec driver (I'm on 362), restart computer, wait until in Windows and turn on your wheel, confirm it works in Fanatec wheel property page.
3. For ACC/AC - Didn't have to do anything. It detected all my settings after the driver dance, didn't even have to configure buttons again.
4. For iRacing - You will have to configure everything. Not just the wheel, but the button mappings as well. Even if the buttons are the same, you have to map them again. Recenter VR HMD, pit limiter, etc, all have to be mapped again. After that, calibrate your wheel/pedals.
5. For Project Cars 2 - Completely uninstall the game and delete /Project Cars 2 from Documents. After uninstalling, reinstall again from Steam. Inside the game menu, go to Controls and change from Fanatec 2.5 to "Custom Wheel" with "Separate" pedals. Scroll down and "Reset to Default". Go to mappings and set steering left/right, throttle, brake and clutch. Those are considered "necessary mappings" in order to calibrate the wheel. Once those are mapped, go back to the wheel page and calibrate wheel and pedals. After this, you can install your custom FFB/VR graphics files again.

But I want a secure system, so I updated to 2004 and Chromium update and decided to just try to get it to work. Now that everything is resolved, the main difference between the 2004/Chromium update and previous version is that I can no longer see "Fanatec CS 2.5" in my wheel page on PC2. It's straight up not being detected when that option is selected. I have to use Custom wheel.
Hi! I updated Windows a couple of days ago and my wheel in ACC went dead. I had to re-program all buttons, wheel, pedals, it did not help to load my saved settings. So now I have reprogrammed everything I hope. So I guess it is this problem you had? If this happens again, should I then do No. 2 in your list above? Thanks for help in advance, I am NOT an IT-tech :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back