new media tool
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/Windows10

Had some weird issues after the last 1804 update
At the time I was doing spring clean on HDDs
PC rebooted with a new setup screen in 2 parts

After that I could not get Microsoft store to install anything
Also rFactor2 cancelled 2 installs

Tried upgrading to 1809 never helped

So grabbed new media tool and did a full 1809, steam, store all partitions all sims
Will have finished for weekend (1TB steam downloads ) then I go through every sim for new monitor and controllers all new documents too oh boy :laugh:

All good , I like fresh OSes , so snappy :D

I forced the 1809 update yesterday!
Only issue I had was I need to verify WMR for SteamVR and re-enable the motionReprojectionMode to Auto.
Also updated the Nvidia driver to the latest.
Didn't test much running on the monitor but in VR it is much better!
Not sure if it is only for WMR headsets but the largest change are the much larger clear spot on the lenses. Now only very edge of the lens are blurry
Also with my entry level GTX 970 Gpu the automatic SS got a lot better and more smooth.
Used manual SS before as the Automatic didn't work well on my setup before..
Even had a race with Rf2 on Nordschleife in the rain without any stutter at all.
So for WMR headsets it is a nice upgrade.

• Deleted member 197115

Butter smooth update for me. Didn't have to change anything with WMR settings in SteamVR, guess you just got some MixedReality for SteamVR update from Steam that overrode your settings.

• Deleted member 197115

Try to enable Speech recognition in Mixed Reality Portal settings and say "Flashlight on" when wearing your WMR HMD. :)

Yes it updated the MixedReality for SteamVR and SteamVR first so I one file had an issue.
Do yu
Butter smooth update for me. Didn't have to change anything with WMR settings in SteamVR, guess you just got some MixedReality for SteamVR update from Steam that overrode your settings.
Do you also see a clear display in VR?
My WMR headset is a Lenovo Explore

• Deleted member 197115

Yes it updated the MixedReality for SteamVR and SteamVR first so I one file had an issue.
Do yu

Do you also see a clear display in VR?
My WMR headset is a Lenovo Explore
It was earlier Mixedreality for StemVR update that fixed supersampling bug, not related to Windows update.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/719950/announcements/detail/1688177728661544663
https://steamcommunity.com/app/719950/discussions/0/1760230157497070062/

Flashlight feature is really need, can reach keyboard, see environment without taking headset off. Nice. :)

• Deleted member 197115

New features
https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/3/17924506/microsoft-windows-10-october-2018-update-features-review
Some improvements to Game Mode

Seems like it's global switch now, Game Mode on/off, at least easy to access.

AC benchmark
Game Mode On:
Code:
AC VERSION: 1.16.3 (x64)
FPS: AVG=154 MIN=98 MAX=175 VARIANCE=1 CPU=58%

LOADING TIME: 16s
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (3840x2160)
OS-Version: 6.2.9200 () 0x300-0x1
CPU CORES: 6
FULLSCREEN: ON
AA:4X AF:16X SHDW:4096 BLUR:0
WORLD DETAIL: 5 SMOKE:1
PP: QLT:5 HDR:1 FXAA:0 GLR:5 DOF:5 RAYS:1 HEAT:1

Game Mode Off
Code:
AC VERSION: 1.16.3 (x64)
FPS: AVG=154 MIN=80 MAX=176 VARIANCE=1 CPU=59%

LOADING TIME: 15s
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (3840x2160)
OS-Version: 6.2.9200 () 0x300-0x1
CPU CORES: 6
FULLSCREEN: ON
AA:4X AF:16X SHDW:4096 BLUR:0
WORLD DETAIL: 5 SMOKE:1
PP: QLT:5 HDR:1 FXAA:0 GLR:5 DOF:5 RAYS:1 HEAT:1

What should I do with all that new found power? :laugh:

Jokes aside, min FPS seems to be higher.

EDIT: Hmm, got some stuttering in VR with Game Mode on.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is the best fresh OS I have done,any OS any build :coffee:
Okay I had one issue this build I can't get default app to set
old windows photo viewer it still works with registry fix
but won;t show in main apps list

I only format 75GB of main M2 for OS and this build is smallest yet I think
22GB for Home and with all drivers, apps, tools 25GB once cleaned up, nice

25GB means a full trueimage takes 3 minutes

• Deleted member 197115

Turned out stuttering (in VR) was from GeForce 416.60
Tried to reinstall with DDU a few times, no cigar.
Reverted back to 411.70. and life is good again. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

After (once again) giving a chance to Win10 for about three months, I've had enough of its BS (ditched it, once again).
After getting back to Win7 SP1 (once again), got to say that I (still) vastly prefer it, maybe because I seem to understand it a little better (being accustomated to tweak it for my own needs).

:) I'm sure I'll get an infinite ammount of nay-sayers and detractors but, to me, Win7 SP1 (still) remains the best OS that M$ has ever released.
Most of all, it has given me zero issues to this very day, with anything and everything I throw at it, be it old or newest app, whatever my necessities are (ultra smooth experience, for about a decade now). So much so, that I start to think that I can't ask much more from it, also that it may be my last WinOS (if Linux gaming finally becomes a valid alternative, no doubt then).

Last edited:
Used AVG remover and re-installed all good :)

I agree with you Duc if you compare bog W10 to tweaked W7 especially using old titles

However a well tweaked W10 to your liking is a different story for mine
There is heaps you can

Start with looks, my W10 looks virtually identical to my W7 desktop with cleaner look
Using Classic Shell you can pin apps and folders of apps to Start menu

sim_menu.jpg

Like W7 you can delete the entire start menu
( apart from Admin tools which you hide 1st level twice, then it still appears in
control menu but not in menu, be careful only to hide the the 1 folder not all
or you won't have any admin tools at all not even in Control Panel )
full_menu.jpg

Next is registry for old photo viewer, registry to remove double drive letters
set default apps I recommend you do this before you connect net
If you leave offline till you do all drivers apps told, edits etc etc it will
all stick

If you connect when you setup OS you ask for world of pain, well if you like tweaked OSes that is

W10 for ages runs GPL up nice
More important you get the advantage in new software
If you have modern hardware it is going to run better on W10

This era where games ran better on W7 then W10 is not relevant today

Heh, I knew there was an update available but left it for a couple of days and didn't hear of any issues so went for it. Literally ten minutes later I came across a "Win 10 update deleting files" thread. Zoiks! No probs so far.

Win 10... too bloody intrusive! If I play some obscure artist from my hard drive using win media player, when I go to YouTube I get offered material by the same obscure artist. Coincidence? And this is with all the spyware supposedly turned off.

Also I don't watch much tv, just the odd programme via vpn and streaming site (yes I know...). If the streaming site gets blocked and moves to a slightly different address, Win 7 has no problem finding it. Win 10 will swear blind it doesn't exist, even if you type the specific new address.

I love the swiss army knife versatility that you get with windows but i'm really not keen the, sort of data gathering direction that MS are going in. Paying over a hundred quid for them to sneak around your hardware profiling your every move, gathering possibly saleable data kind of takes the urine.

I am in full agreement with you Luc that this may also be my last Win OS. Steam are currently in the process of converting as much of it's inventory to work on Linux as it can. I didn't read the whole thing but they have some new algorithm that means Linux on Steam is now very much a thing. So far the only racing titles available are iRacing, Dirt rally and a couple of older Codies F1 titles. But more WILL come...

As you can understand, this move by steam is bad news for MS. I know that I would rather have put that hundred odd quid towards a better gpu. I'm sure many other budget builders will think that too.

Don't use windows apps :coffee: they are pitiful :thumbsdown:

EDGE use CHROME
GROOVE use WINAMP
FILMS & TV use VLC PLAYER
PDF VIEWR use FOXIT
PHOTOS use W7 PHOTO VIEWER ( you need to run a registry fix )

Every program above and lots more can run standalone ...........no need to install every time.
Just drop everything into a fresh OS , you can even use your backup of Chrome !

You must do all this on a fresh OS BEFORE you connect internet even if it takes you hours to make sure all new apps are associated "PROPERLY" and ironclad

You must download media tool to USB stick and do a FRESH VERSION 1809 INSTALL .............remember OFFLINE till you have your OS tweak within a inch of it's life .........then you go online validate, add passwords etc etc etc etc etc etc

Continually updating a OS is horrible bloaty mess !
Every new version ( not every update) download the new media tool and do spring cleaning

A fresh W10 runs like a express train :)
You don't get any updates bar a couple as it is already installed

P.S. MANY people miss this one ............

In explorer right click on C drive
click "properties"
click "disk cleanup"
click " clean up system files"
click on all sections
click OK
click DELETE FILES

you will clear 20GB from C drive and make OS a smidgen faster
you can't measure smidgens ...just feel them

Sorry don't mean to sound dismissive but anyone that goes by windows help and tutorials to install and setup a OS is asking for it......... even W7 was like that

Last edited:
I currently use Edge, it's already installed and don't care about any particular browser. Whichever I use is stripped down and pared back to the minimum. I have Chrome on the old machine, they both meet my basic needs so...

Again, I use Win media player because it's what I've always used. It's only used for music, i'm not a film person, so again it meets my needs.

And as win 10 is as stripped back as poss, I have no issues with the performance. The thing is MS couldn't do this sneaky crap in the old days as we would all notice the slowdown, but with fast modern hardware and largely faster connections, they are getting cheeky. If it was happening with some free OS you wouldn't really have room to complain but windows ain't cheap..

imho without any doubt the best W10 maintenance tool is AVG TuneUp

I pay for products I recommend and Tuneup is that good
It would take me a hour to do what it does in a few minutes

I currently use Edge, it's already installed and don't care about any particular browser. Whichever I use is stripped down and pared back to the minimum. I have Chrome on the old machine, they both meet my basic needs so....

But mate, you miss the point.

All windows own apps are made to be specially intrusive

I would not take standard windows apps to a rock fight......seriously

P.S. Once windows apps are online some you won't be able to even associate another app without using the registry.

That is how hard Windows try to make you use their tools for their motives ;)

...and you just don't swap apps and leave the windows ones on your drive, you uninstall them all
While all the files are still kept on your drive none will be able to override your settings and start back up when they currently uninstalled ;)

But when a new version windows comes out they will automatically be activated again ! :devilish: .and because you are obviously online to get the windows update all new settings will take and stick lol
W10 is Darth Vader lol

So summing up that is why .......

1. Download new version of windows contains all updates
2. DISCONNECT INTERNET
3. When you absolute you done everything you need then CONNECT

Last edited:
Google, MS, Facebook and whoever else all collect and SHARE data. If you use any one of those services your data will be collected and shared between the agreed partners, therefore Google is equally intrusive. I could use Firefox etc but my main hd is a 500gb ssd partitioned only for Win & Steam and want as little clutter as possible.

I am only telling you what I have learned from doing OSes this way since windows 95 . I don't do it for fun ;)

On your 500GB ............... I already told you

You should have made a partition just for the OS I use only 75GB

That way if something ever happens you have more chance Steam will be okay on D:\STEAM ( 2nd partition )

The other thing is full images or backups would be huge

Then are you going to update your backup every time you add a car skin to Steam ?

Sorry, makes no sense to me :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back