W Series: 40 Drivers Express Interest in Season 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
W Series Driver Selection .jpg

Fresh from Jamie Chadwick securing the first title last month, W Series organisers confirm a bumper crop of drivers are interested in joining the category next year.

With the top 12 from 2019 already guaranteed entry into the coming season, W Series Racing Director Dave Ryan has gone on record to state an impressive 40 drivers are interested in joining the evaluation process for the remaining places on the 2020 W Series grid.

"Prior to the 2019 W Series season, we tested all our drivers at Almeria in W Series race cars and we plan to put our new applicants through exactly the same process," confirmed the former McLaren Formula One Sporting Director.​

"We’ll have one or two drivers from the pool of 12 who are already guaranteed a 2020 W Series drive on hand too, to post comparative lap-times, the better to enable us to understand the ability and speed of our aspiring newcomers.

"To be clear, the eight drivers who finished outside the top 12 in the 2019 W Series championship are not ineligible for our 2020 season; they’re merely not guaranteed to take part in it. Inevitably they’re now on tenterhooks, eager to race with us again next season, but whether they do or not will to a great extent depend on the quality of the newcomers we test at Almeria in a month’s time. Time will tell."
The new pool of potential driving talent for the W Series has yet to be revealed by the championship, although they have confirmed that the evaluation process will once again take place on the Spanish Circuito de Almeria, Andalusia, south-east Spain. It will be a three-day test, running on Monday September 16th, Tuesday September 17th and Wednesday September 18th.

In other W Series news, unlike this season, the 2020 championship will now attract Super Licence points for the all female driving strength, further solidifying the stature of the series as it looks to embed itself into the mainstream motorsport landscape.

Of the 2019 drivers, the following are guaranteed a place on the 2020 grid should they wish to continue for a second season:

Jamie Chadwick (UK), Beitske Visser (NLD), Alice Powell (UK), Marta Garcia (ESP), Emma Kimilainen (FIN), Fabienne Wohlwend (LIE), Miki Koyama (JPN), Sarah Moore (UK), Vicky Piria (ITA), Tasmin Pepper (RSA), Jessica Hawkins (UK) and Sabre Cook (USA)

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Following us on Social Media!

to be fair, all that happened was people declared their non interest in this series,

and triggered people yelled SEXIST!!!!!!!!!! and made stuff up In the thread that no one did or said

that's about it really, oh yeah, and unlike a lot of threads that go off the rails, it got locked......

Edit: Facepalm next post....

Last edited:
Can we please show some maturity this time around? This is 2019, not 1819. Any genuine motorsports fan with more than two brain cells will be happy to see more track-based action coming our way, rather than whining about who's in the driving seat.

Not interested? Fair enough, that's absolutely fine. This news story isn't for you, just like Indycar/Nascar news isn't for me. So, feel free to take your disinterest elsewhere and allow the discussion to remain focused on the story, rather than your own lack on interest in it or it's subject matter.

Thank you! :thumbsup:

nah

sorry but that's completely unnecessary. no one has actually done anything wrong, and when has "not interested" literally stopped anyone from commenting on something?

lets just not bother with forums or comments or post or anything yeah?

seriously. people are allowed to have opinions, allowed to air them and are allowed to be different from others.
you might aswell start changing the end of your news posts to "like what we do here? well, comment and discuss below BUT ONLY IF YOUR OPINION MEETS OR MATCHES OURS"

I don't see how that warrants preemptive snowflaking, or passive aggressive slighting of their intelligence or lack thereof. that's just insulting and (knowingly) provocative.

Also "whining whos in the driving seat" is a regular and popular pastime in literally any thread about f1 here, and guess what....no one loses their minds there...so.... nope, doesn't work

interestingly, what does work, is the concept of this working both ways, you know, people not interested in stuff don't have to comment.,....sure, but also, you don't actually have to read, listen, agree with or comment on the posts that YOU don't like/agree with, the fact that you want to lock down on that and seemingly encourage the censorship of speech (which is not hate/aggressive or racist, does not contravene any guidelines) clearly shows that you have a bias and an agenda you want to narrate, on this subject over others

since when has highlighting disinterest, in an unnecessarily forced subject, been whining:?

no one bats an eyelid when posts on forza are trolled, or people voice their opinion on not liking any other series/game/thing, or arguments break out over rfactor is best or members get literally 13 year old mentality over things etc

but if its about a series that REVOLVES around a gender, and you arent interested, and declare that,, god help you, you must then endure the pitchforks and the slights on your character by virtue signalling members and the backhanded comments from moderators. I foresee this thread getting locked much like the last because, you know "opinions"

I feel vindicated in not renewing if im honest

Last edited:
Yep, you're exactly the type I was referring to above. Nice show of maturity buddy, way to go about ruining yet another perfectly valid motorsport news story with unhelpful, nonconstructive, and ultimately worthless drivel. I honestly don't know why I bother, so I won't. Over and out. :poop:

"In other W Series news, unlike this season, the 2020 championship will now attract Super Licence points for the all female driving strength, further solidifying the stature of the series as it looks to embed itself into the mainstream motorsport landscape."

I didn't know there are male and female driving strenght.

Yep, you're exactly the type I was referring to above. Nice show of maturity buddy, way to go about ruining yet another perfectly valid motorsport news story with unhelpful, nonconstructive, and ultimately worthless drivel. I honestly don't know why I bother, so I won't. Over and out. :poop:

get over it mate. you didn't even have to reply, but you wanted your little "spicy" mic drop with a turd emoji. we could have just stuck to the "little red cross game" or even practiced what we preached and just ignored it. but no.

im afraid facts don't care about your feelings ultimately

nothing I said was said in an immature manner, was drivel, has ruined anything or was non constructive.

that's opinion based writing there, and your above comment is needless alarmism to a valid post from a member of the site.
someone in your postion shouldn't really fallback on that, were I to have insulted anyone like you did, id be in some sort of hot water.

Last edited:
I don't understand the hatred for the content. Man if I can make my wife drop that Vanity Fair magazine and stop buying the items advertised inside, I would love her to change from that to motorsports. Maybe one day we'll enjoy sim titles together. Maybe car stuff and computers too, and not watch on two different TVs.

Though I'm pretty sure she don't want me to grab a Vanity Fair for myself, so I guess protective ego is definitely a thing.

Last edited:
I don't understand peoples obsession with throwing overreactive words like hatred about

or the sad children who disagree with this post...?????

Last edited:

Paul Glover

I talk lots
nah

sorry but that's completely unnecessary. no one has actually done anything wrong, and when has "not interested" literally stopped anyone from commenting on something?

lets just not bother with forums or comments or post or anything yeah?

seriously. people are allowed to have opinions, allowed to air them and are allowed to be different from others.
you might aswell start changing the end of your news posts to "like what we do here? well, comment and discuss below BUT ONLY IF YOUR OPINION MEETS OR MATCHES OURS"

I don't see how that warrants preemptive snowflaking, or passive aggressive slighting of their intelligence or lack thereof. that's just insulting and (knowingly) provocative.

Also "whining whos in the driving seat" is a regular and popular pastime in literally any thread about f1 here, and guess what....no one loses their minds there...so.... nope, doesn't work

interestingly, what does work, is the concept of this working both ways, you know, people not interested in stuff don't have to comment.,....sure, but also, you don't actually have to read, listen, agree with or comment on the posts that YOU don't like/agree with, the fact that you want to lock down on that and seemingly encourage the censorship of speech (which is not hate/aggressive or racist, does not contravene any guidelines) clearly shows that you have a bias and an agenda you want to narrate, on this subject over others

since when has highlighting disinterest, in an unnecessarily forced subject, been whining:?

no one bats an eyelid when posts on forza are trolled, or people voice their opinion on not liking any other series/game/thing, or arguments break out over rfactor is best or members get literally 13 year old mentality over things etc

but if its about a series that REVOLVES around a gender, and you arent interested, and declare that,, god help you, you must then endure the pitchforks and the slights on your character by virtue signalling members and the backhanded comments from moderators. I foresee this thread getting locked much like the last because, you know "opinions"

I feel vindicated in not renewing if im honest

No. It's not unnecessary, you think you are being clever trying to rock the boat whilst not actually saying anything too controversial.

On previous threads people have clearly overstepped the mark with their comments. We expect forums users to remain respectful, opinions are fine if done in the right why. But when they cross a line where they might be sexist that cannot be tolerated, we live in a society with equal rights and people really need to move with the times.

Also, you mentioned other threads. If things get personal, we shut them down. Also if comments are just made to rock the boat we are always watching and action is taken. You just don't always see it.

Above you said you were out, but you remain. Do decide.

No. It's not unnecessary, and you think you are being clever trying to rock the boat whilst not actually saying anything too controversial.

On previous threads people have clearly overstepped the mark with their comments, so we ask people refrain from any sexist remarks. Opinions are fine, but when it's at a detriment to another sex or race we cannot have that.

Above you said you were out, but you remain. Do decide.

Paul, im not the one who said "im out" I didn't say I was going anywhere,
concerning that youd conflate different things from different peoples posts into one persons, and sell that as fact..

and yes it is "unnecessary" when no one had actually done anything before the comment, this quote is a direct effect of the causality of the original post, and I don't think im being clever at all. theres nothing "nearly" controversial about anything ive posted......again, needless alarmism and an attempt at trying to "put words in someones mouth" type of act

by all means narrate this any way you want guys, that's twice now youre directly coming at me without real reason other than to try and say im doing something im not.

by all means, fine tooth comb my comments, and highlight where I have been detrimental to another sex, or sexist or any of that nonsense. id welcome it and own up to it if you can.

I actually haven't.

youre just trying to make it look like I have.

now im not trying to get in any arguments here, but like I said, twice now youre needlessly singling me out, in a very alarmist manner, and of course, if you want to keep quoting me and directly addressing me I will of course reply, outside of that, im obviously not going to, or further comment in any provocative manner, ive had my say, and I don't feel im anyone who needs to hammer any point home. its my opinion, noone elses and I don't expect anyone to bow to my will

so far, im not the one perpetuating this

im 40 years old, I don't feel the need to "rock" any boat, but I also wont be made to look like something im not, or be guilted in to not voicing my opinion, certainly when its done in a manner that is not racist, sexist, genderist, anti lgbtq or any other and is done in a lucid and mature manner.
I also wont be bullied, even if its by moderators overstepping their boundaries and allowing emotions to creep into their posts.

now by all means, ban me or whatever it is you want to do, like I said, this has been a gradual weening from here anyway, hence my not renewing membership, but as far as im concerned the matter was over about 10 posts ago, barring a somewhat overly reactive post someone didn't need to write

Last edited:

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 88 18.9%
  • €151-500

Votes: 123 26.4%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 80 17.2%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 9.0%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 46 9.9%