Resource icon

Tracks Virginia International (VIR) track skin 3.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
racinjoe013 updated Virginia International (VIR) track skin with a new update entry:

Virginia International (VIR) track skin\ext_config

One last small update before I put this to bed for awhile. I did some work on the main tree textures and small edits to the ext_config file. For the tree textures I removed a little bit of the red and blue from some of the textures. You will notice that everything is a bit more colorful now. If you prefer the more blue toned textures, just download the last update and extract the skin folder again.

For the ext_config, I reduced the dried out look in the summer time and increased it a...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I hate to say this, but i'm going to have to do another update in the not too distant future. I got a quick lesson from someone on GT Planet's modding forum about how the top down image (don't know what to call it exactly) impacts the overall colortone of the entire scene. He suggested, and he is right, that I edit that texture file to reduce the amount of red to increase the amount of green in the grassfx.

I am sorry to make everyone have to do another download. I really thought I was done with this one for awhile.

Last edited:
racinjoe013 updated Virginia International (VIR) track skin with a new update entry:

One final (please God let it be the last one) update. Three minor adjustments.

-- Adjusted the ksAmbient and ksDiffuse values for the dark tree replacements. I found that they looked fine under most situations, but at dawn\dusk or certain cloud lighting conditions, they got a bit nuclear in spots. The updated ones are a bit of a compromise. They are a little darker during the day, but not as bright under those certain conditions. If you prefer the older version with the lighter daytime...

!!! THIS UPDATE IS ONLY FOR USERS OF PURE !!!

I discovered this morning that my dark tree fix doesn't play well with the new lighting Peter implemented in Pure so I had to create a separate .kn5 file for Pure users. It's a quick fix and wasn't tested under all conditions so I don't know how it will work under varying weather conditions.

You will need to rename one file to get this to work right with Pure. In the extension folder, rename (don't delete in case you...

A little good news. I may have accidently stumbled upon a way to get rid of the nuclear lighting on my dark tree fix that occurs under certain lighting conditions. I was working on an ext_config for Cadwell Park when it hit me that something I was doing for it might work on VIR. If it works like I hope, I will also be able to match the lighting with the rest of the trees under normal conditions so they don't have to look so dark compared to the other trees.

Finger crossed, I may actually have a fix soon.

Optional update. You don't need it if you are happy with the past version.

-- Corrected poorly colored tree trunks that caused colored trunks in the fall.
-- Optional new ext_config file. I played around with a different way to handle the season changes. These provide a bit more vibrant green grass and overall give a warmer ambient feel. I like it if I had never seen the original, but I think I still like the original better. You can decide for yourself. Just rename the current...

I got it. No more dark trees. No more overexposed dark trees under certain weather conditions. No more need for separate versions for Sol and Pure. It's all good now. Just need to get the alignment right and make sure to do a good test under all conditions. Anyone want to help?

Screenshot_gt4_sin_r1_vir_24-1-122-19-15-32.jpg

Last edited:

First draft of my latest attempt to fix the dark trees. IMO, it's much better than before. It no longer has the wild exposure issues under certain cloudy conditions. It no longer requires different versions for Pure and Sol. Those two things alone make it better than before.

It does have it's own set of small issues though. The biggest being the monotonous look. I'm trying very hard to find different Pine tree textures to use that fit to break up the monotonous look. For now i'm...

Just a little note. I'm taking some of the knowledge I gained from doing some of these recent track skins and ext_configs as well as what I learned from the guys at GTPlanet to revisit this one. I'm going to rework the seasonal stuff for more accurate changes to that area. I only live a few hours away so I have a pretty good idea of how and when things should change. The lighting on some materials for better balance in the diffusing of light between objects. No more overly bright objects in low light. New grassfx and hopefully a more saturated, deeper look to the texture colors, especially the grass. Hopefully won't take too long. Low light is looking pretty good.

acs 2022-04-18 19-20-32.jpg

acs 2022-04-18 19-21-13.jpg

Been holding on to this one for awhile because i'm not sure how it will go over. The look is now a lot greener and more saturated and I wasn't sure if people would like it. You can always roll back by downloading the last version. All the color and lighting choices are based on my personal ppfilter so I can't say how this will look on your system. It would be best to delete the previous skins and files from the extension folder before extracting.

-- Color adjustments to all tree and...

If you use Content Manager, you just have to extract the files to the VIR folder. Then in Content Manager when you choose the track, there is a skins drop down menu that you can choose one of the two skins.

If you don't use content manager, then it's a little more complicated. You have to go to the VIR folder and create a folder called skins. Inside the skins folder you have to make another folder called default. Then you have to manually extract the files from whichever skin you want to use to that default folder. To try the other one, you would have to manually extract the files to the default folder and let it overwrite the existing files. This is why using Content Manager makes the game so much easier to manage.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 47 9.2%
  • Monthly

Votes: 21 4.1%
  • Yearly

Votes: 31 6.1%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 12 2.3%