Resource icon

Tracks Virginia International (VIR) track skin 3.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
racinjoe013 submitted a new resource:

Virginia International (VIR) track skin - Virginia International (VIR) track skin

This was a little project I did over the Holidays just to learn how to do something new. I never messed with track textures before. It was never intended to be shared, but like my other resources, I always figure someone might get some use out of it, even if it's just one person.

I love VIR, but the tall Pines always bugged me because of how light and washed out they looked so I did some editing to them to try and make them look better. Mind you, i'm no Photoshop expert so don't expect...

Read more about this resource...

Just a note. I'm in the process of fixing the one tree I still had issues with as well as altering two other smaller pines. Just couldn't get past the old blue green tint that still bled through on the one. So I guess there will be a future update in the not too distant future....maybe even today.

racinjoe013 updated Virginia International (VIR) track skin with a new update entry:

Virginia International (VIR) track skin

Sorry for the quick turnaround. I realized I forgot 3 Material entries in the ext_config file that caused the lighting on three trees to change incorrectly in different seasons.

If you decide to roll back to the older textures from version 1, don't extract the extension folder from the old package because it doesn't include the missing Material entries in the ext_config file.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Regarding the really dark pines, disable the VAO-Patch to see if it disappears. looks like an issue with how the VAO baked the trees.

I looked, but couldn't find a vao-patch for vir either in the track folder or in ...extension\vao-patches folder. I'm not sure VIR even has one. It's not listed in CM as being available.

What is happening based on my testing is that when the sun is not shining directly on those trees, the shadow effect is overdone. If I scroll through the time of day and get to a point where the sun is directly in line with those dark trees, the darkness goes away and you can see the tree texture detail perfectly.

What I don't know how to do is correct that. It might be something that can be fixed using a config file entry, but I sure don't know how to do it. If I knew how to create a .kn5 file, I could possibly make new objects for those trees and use the config to insert the new trees.

Last edited:
Thanks for doing an overhaul on VIR. Looks really good.
I don't know if you take requests but would you have any interest in doing something for the Vallelunga track as that is a good track let down by very poor textures and trees and would benefit from one of your overhauls :thumbsup:

Thanks for doing an overhaul on VIR. Looks really good.
I don't know if you take requests but would you have any interest in doing something for the Vallelunga track as that is a good track let down by very poor textures and trees and would benefit from one of your overhauls :thumbsup:

After a quick look, I don't think the textures are the problem. It's a Kunos track so the textures should be as good as all the other Kunos tracks. What I see is a very weird track .ini file setup. They made some odd color changing choices for the different seasons.

I'm not familiar with the area so maybe the grass really does get that brown in the summer and the trees get undersaturated. All I know is I don't care for it so I might make my own ext_config for the track and make some changes for the summer months. Early spring, winter and fall look ok I guess.

I only assumed the textures were the problem but anyway, if you do make something it would be greatly appreciated but not a problem if you don't want to touch this track.

I only assumed the textures were the problem but anyway, if you do make something it would be greatly appreciated but not a problem if you don't want to touch this track.
I'm working on a new ext_config right now. Not sure it will go over well but I like it. Never was a big fan of the overly brown summer look. This is what summer time looks like with my ext_config. Plus I fixed a few fall issues as well with some of the textures no longer turning orange and yellow.

Screenshot_f1_2011_williams_ks_vallelunga_1-1-122-22-38-8.jpg

Last edited:
racinjoe013 updated Virginia International (VIR) track skin with a new update entry:

Small update to correct the bad alpha layer on a few textures to remove the small lines that appeared in the sky. Thanks to Zombie Boy for pointing it out. If you still see the lines anywhere, please let me know so I can fix them as well.

BTW, while I like how this mod makes VIR look, there is a much better mod recently released by BoBaHK that has better enhancements to VIR than mine. He obviously knows more than I do and was able to get rid of the ugly dark tree textures I can't get rid...

Kind of excited about this one. I finally found a way to get rid of the dark trees. This is only a beta version of it because it still needs work, but at least I have something I can work with.

Right away I can see that I need to get the trees to fit in better with the other trees. They are much better looking actually so I will probably end up trying to get the older washed out looking textures to match the new tree texture.

I also need to do a better job of matching the lighting...

Just a heads up to be on the lookout for another small update in the next few days. I managed to get a better blend between all of the tree textures. I'm going to spend a little time trying to figure out the winter problem on these new trees before I put out the update. I'm not very confident I will though.

Old:
original.jpg

Updated:
updated.jpg

Virginia International (VIR) track skin\ext_config (Final?)

Best I can do with my limited knowledge. I did manage to get a better color match of the dark tress with everything else, but the winter look is still bad. Sorry about that one. Maybe someday I will figure it out.

View attachment 539315

Hope you like it. It was hard work, but fun to do because I love to learn how to do new things. Please let me know of any problems or suggestions for improvement. I'm open to any thoughts both good or bad.

Thanks. Is this compatible with the facelift extension by BoBaHK?

Probably not because he completely changed all of the tree material\texture names because he created new objects so none of my textures would match. I just tried to work with what was in the original track. He did a much better job because he completely changed everything. In many ways, I like his version better but I use mine most often simply because I made it and don't want to feel like I wasted my time. :)

Last edited:
Just wondering if it would bother anyone if I made another small update so quickly? I got to playing around with the ext_config file and finally figured out how to make summer time much less dry\faded looking. I like it much better and thought other people might as well but I know it bothers some people when mod makers do these repeated updates day after day.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 130 86.1%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 25 16.6%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 24 15.9%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 45 29.8%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 52 34.4%