Vettel / Hamilton War of Words Post Baku Contact Continues

Personally I found both drivers to be at fault. Hamilton did slow down too quickly in my opinion (even if he may decide the pace), not giving ample time to the driver behind to react. Vettel of course got furious and reacted in a split second, which every human will be guilty of at some moment in their life when frustrated. Are their actions to be justified? I don't think so but they clearly show the human nature of both drivers and trying initially to justify/explain their actions. All I'm saying is Vettel & Hamilton are both no saints and this whole situation should also not be blown out of proportion. A stop & go for both drivers would have been the more correct action in my eyes, signalling to Hamilton to take into consideration the cars behind (aka not slowing down too suddenly) & signalling to Vettel to maintain a sportsmanlike conduct (aka don't hit the other car on purpose).

What actually made me roll my eyes more was the commentator's from "La Deux" saying they have never seen something like this in F1. I guess they forgot about Senna & Prost at Suzuka. We're humans...sometimes (more than not) we behave like idiots and are quick to shove blame on the other instead of looking to our own reasoning & accompanied actions.

I think this is just dumb. Look what senna did to prost back in the days. He crashed into Prost at speeds around 250 km/h and nobody cared. Senna is still one of the most beloved racing drivers and even the idol of Lewis. And now he calls Vettel disrespectful and behaves like a child with not wanting to talk with him. And in all that things going on everybody forgot that Lewis wanted Bottas to slow down an hold Vettel of. This were some dirty Red Bull tactics going on right there.

Vettel got off lightly. Intentionally driving into a competitor should be considered gross misconduct and result in disqualification from the race.

It's far from conclusive that Hamilton brake-tested Vettel and, besides, he had the right to control the pace behind the safety car.

Vettel needs to work on his temper. He's been in the sport far too long to be acting like a child.

Quote.......

Villeneuve: I don’t think Seb was trying to hit Lewis... They're going 10mph, who cares?... It's good to see that they're on it. Much nicer than Lewis asking Bottas to slow Vettel down. I mean, that was embarrassing.

I watch on Canal+ and Villeneuve is the best commentator. I feel just like him, such BS politics going on, dangerous driving at 10mph... are they ****ing serious ? they didn't even put a safety car straight away, you had marshalls on the tarmac for Kyvyat cars and than they want to talk about a little wheel bumping being dangerous... fia are ridiculous fatsos ! ****ing dinausors !

The way I see it:
Bottas deserved a penalty but didn't get it
Hamilton deserved a penalty but didn't get it
Vettel deserved a penalty and got it

Wheel bumping at 10mph is more dangerous than stupid Bottas raming Kimi at 110mph+... FIA logic. I still maintain that while Seb was responsible for the wheel bump, he DIDN'T do it on purpose.

Two things.
Hamilton - I didn't quite understand... he was complaining the whole time about how freakin slow safety car is and how it put them all in danger, then he drive even more slower, at place where he feels like. Man... today's rules in "following the SC" are BS,:thumbsdown: they really need to change something there.
Vettel - well, he's like that. He can't control himself sometimes. He's acting like a good guy, especially since he came in Ferrari, but we all know his dark side very well. If nothing, just remember the Mexico and those horrible Charlie cursing. :unsure: Sad.

Quote.......
Villeneuve: I don’t think Seb was trying to hit Lewis... They're going 10mph, who cares?... It's good to see that they're on it. Much nicer than Lewis asking Bottas to slow Vettel down. I mean, that was embarrassing.
Jacques was my driver, only driver I really root for but this statement is just... let's just say it's unrealistic. What, he's trying to say now that Shumacher hit on him in season finale and title decider Jerez '97 was unintentional ? :whistling: He used to joke with that saying that Schummy maybe wasn't looking where he was going or his hand were slippery but c'mon... :)
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130410

"Much nicer than Lewis asking [Valtteri] Bottas to slow Vettel down. That was embarrassing."
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hamilton is not the first time slows down intentionally to take advantage and create mess on the following drivers.
He did it on purpose and Vettel had no way to avoid the contact.
Vettel was right to get angry and wave his hands over Hamilton.
He surely made a bad manouver ramming from the side the Mercedes but in the same situation I probably would have done the same because Hamilton repeated his trick more and more. He well deserved it.

Hamilton behaves like the rich boy who is permitted to do everything....and he cries for every little thing against him. Ridiculous.
Hamilton deserved a penatly as well as Vettel.

Vettel started going down hill for me last year, when he started whining constantly, about the most inane crap. His tempter has been getting out of hand, too, finally blowing over in this last race. That side swipe was insane! And for people saying he misjudged the distance... Are you crazy? The cars are wider, but they've obviously gotten used to it. Monaco and Canada are proof of that. You don't put a car a few centimeters from a wall if you don't know it's width...LOL. Vettel knows his car well. He purposely smacked tires with Hamilton, knowing the tire could take the contact. He should have received more than 10 seconds for that.

But, honestly... I get it and could probably forgive him for it. Racing is highly competitive. Drivers are stressed and tempers are hot. But what makes Seb a complete jerk is that he pretended it didn't even happen after the race. He didn't just deny it. He completely ignored what he did, and just kept bashing Hamilton for his imagined brake check. Vettel was either not paying attention, or was being over aggressive, preparing to try to jump Hamilton at the start. That's totally obvious. And also probably why he's so angry and won't admit his wrong. It always stings more when know/see our own fault in our problems.

Hamilton is not the first time slows down intentionally to take advantage and create mess on the following drivers.
He did it on purpose and Vettel had no way to avoid the contact.
Vettel was right to get angry and wave his hands over Hamilton.
He surely made a bad manouver ramming from the side the Mercedes but in the same situation I probably would have done the same because Hamilton repeated his trick more and more. He well deserved it.

Hamilton behaves like the rich boy who is permitted to do everything....and he cries for every little thing against him. Ridiculous.
Hamilton deserved a penatly as well as Vettel.

^^Vettel love/fanboy at it's finest.

When is it ever okay for a driver to ram another driver. Your personal feelings about a driver are irrelevant. There are rules and expectations of behavior. It is not uncommon to back up the field before a restart, and the officials didn't think it was brake checking. Even so, one could debate brake check. What you can't debate is whether Vettel's reaction was warranted or justified. It was obviously wrong. You basically called Hamilton a spoiled rich kid, but Vettel was the one behaving like a frustrated child.

I think penalty was appropriate, and I think that what he did to Hamilton also was appropriate. Now I like Vettel much more, he was fighting so hard for many seasons now, and now as he does have real chances, Hamilton using dirty tricks. Like come on... talking about "showing bad example for kids", sure... But what kind of example is to suddenly slow down a lot, so the driver who is behind would damage front wing and loose pace later. Who doesn't understand that it is even worse behavior, it is corrupting the race.
Its lot from 70 to 50 :D

^^Vettel love/fanboy at it's finest.

When is it ever okay for a driver to ram another driver. Your personal feelings about a driver are irrelevant. There are rules and expectations of behavior. It is not uncommon to back up the field before a restart, and the officials didn't think it was brake checking. Even so, one could debate brake check. What you can't debate is whether Vettel's reaction was warranted or justified. It was obviously wrong. You basically called Hamilton a spoiled rich kid, but Vettel was the one behaving like a frustrated child.

Well said Haiden773
Its hard for people to separate their feelings even when something is wrong and try find justification. But then same opinions change if the situation was reverse

Its actually getting a bit funny seeing someone saying it's justified to hit another car and turn the situation around.

No trying to be rude, but did you miss the part they were doing 50kph in probably on the safeties vehicles on earth?

Unless someone wants to make motorsports racing, from a extreme sport to something more princess than soccer...
Maybe I missed the part of the rulebook where it says at which speed deliberately ramming other cars is permitted... :whistling:

I actually read all the comments here and have to say wow, a few people seem to have clear vision and know what's going on, but some others...well.
To the ones who say Vettel is an idiot, deserved black flag or worse - yes, the pulling up alongside Hamilton and touching (mind you, touching, not ramming) his wheel was wrong to do. Did he get punished for that? Yes he did. Did that ruin his race? It more or less did. He had a good chance to win before the incident, afterwards he did not. To me that is a punishment and it sure hurt. As it has been mentioned here a few times - have you forgotten how people like Schumacher, Hill, Senna, Prost, Piquet and others have been driving at times? DC turning MS into a trike in the rain at Spa, Senna vs Prost multiple times, the rivalry Schumacher/Hill wasnt without contact, and yet these people are considered among the best the sport has ever seen. So how come Vettel is an idiot, while others who did similar or often worse are heroes? You people should consider that and look beyond driver support and your own animosities or whatever you feel towards a certain person. Everyone is talking about how F1 is boring and nothing happens, but if something happens then suddenly you guys want to turn F1 into hello kittie and issue black flags. So much also for the so "unbiased" commenting coming from English people like mr. Hill who (surprise surprise) support an English driver. It did not happen on a public road, mr. Hill, it was on a racetrack with different rules. So the "you get arrested" comment was not needed.

To the ones who think Vettel rammed into Hamilton on purpose (twice!): I still highly doubt that he did any of the contacts on purpose. Do you really think the championship leader risks a pontential race win, losing good and needed points as well as punishment by ramming into someone else, and even twice? Then you seriously need a reality check. (To the one who explained here how you can see how Vettel turns the wheel to ram Hamilton - I would like to see where you saw that, since on the footage I have seen so far you CAN'T see exactly that.) Yes he should have stayed behind Hamilton and simply radioed what he thought. His frustration is obvious, why would he drive into Hamilton's rear on purpose? Makes no sense at all. And it makes no sense to deliberately knock his wheel against Hamiton's. Mind you, he did not ram anyone off the road.

To the one who compared Vettel's move with Schumacher vs Villeneuve 1997: You should realise that these were completely different situations and incidents. Schumacher actually rammed Villeneuve because that was his only chance to get him out of the way and win the title. Vettel touched Hamilton after an incident he felt was unnecessary, early in the championship when nothing is decided yet. I think that's a little different.

I say it again, losing your temper this way is not good, Vettel should have remained calm. But at least we saw an honest reaction coming from him. Hate him for that? Go ahead. But what was really disgracing, mr Hamilton, was your request to use your teammate (completely ignoring his chances for a good finish) to slow down the competition, so YOU can come out better than you did. Your loose headrest was not Vettel's fault, but your willingness to use others to compensate whatever goes wrong speaks volumes about you. (When Vettel was jokingly asked in Monaco whether he would like Kimi to be told to let him pass in the first corner, he said "no, I would not want that." Compare
that to what mr. Hamilton says and does.)

Oh yeah, to the one who rather watched MotoGP instead of boring F1: I watched that race, too. It was on a while before F1, so it was very possible to see both :) If you do not like F1, simply do not watch it, end of. No need to tell people over and over again how crappy F1 is now in your opinion. I don't go to a forum where they talk about tennis just to tell the folks there how boring tennis is and how I rather watch boxing.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.