Vettel / Hamilton War of Words Post Baku Contact Continues

Lewis should not have blatantly brake checked thew whole field, and Vettel should not come along side and hit him. Is the penalty Vettel received justified? Yes. Should Lewis, or any other driver be told to not slow up suddenly? Yes.

Lewis did not brake test seb, did you not see the onboard data, rev's and speed stayed the same going through and then after the corner.

Found a pic of Vettel post-incident.

p_101528432.jpg

Lewis did not brake test seb, did you not see the onboard data, rev's and speed stayed the same going through and then after the corner.
1. They go into the corner without any significant speed difference, with 73kph. On the apex Vettel had to slow down to 64kph and hits Hamilton at 45kph.

2. Whatever telemetry they looked at. We are simracers. We race cars whenever we have the time I guess and see things in the races most people don't, from the movements of the cars, from virtual experience. Look at the external camera. Look at Perez's onboard (this is the best view in my opinion). Look at Hamiltons onboard and check how the Pirelli logos "slowed down". That Mercedes slowed down coming out of the corner, for certain, and relatively abruptly considering the speeds. Vettel brakes already in the corner... with CRITICALLY cold tires, while the road is going downhill and even locks up, probably because of that. Now Hamilton was the most vocal about not having grip behind the slow SC. He should have known. Must have known. He's too talented and smart to not know that.

3. What Vettel did was not right. Wasn't particularly dangerous, but not right. We will never know about the intentions. What Hamilton did was not fair or sportsmanlike either. You are the leader, you dictate the pace, you have just as much responsibility as the guys behind, if not more. Both of them screwed up.

Maybe I missed the part of the rulebook where it says at which speed deliberately ramming other cars is permitted... :whistling:

So let me understand this, for you, is exactly the same doing what Vettel did behind a safety car at 50kph, to what Senna did to Prost in the first lap of the 1990 Japanese gp ? ok...

btw I would do exactly what Senna did in that situation, but I would probably not have done what Vettel did

Nobody finds it weird that vettel gets a penatly seconds after Hamilton is forced to pit ? no ? that doesn't bother anyone :s.

Last but not least, enjoy this beautiful picture of hamilton braking (while it was said by the FIA that he didn't brake).
Ah mate! totally agree, I was saying exactly the same thing watching the race.
And the brake thing too, graphic was showing that he was braking.

Just checked a video with Hamilton's "graphic", there was no latency at all, he downshifts 4th to 3rd before the corner, the graphic changes gear exactly when the number changes on the steering wheel. Brakes must be a bit bugged though, it is like an on/off switch. But for all cars. So we know he did apply brakes, but not how much.

Its lot from 70 to 50 :D

It is not right to judge it like that. Safety Car was very far ahead, and Hamilton slowed where he should have been gaining more speed - the turn exit. Thats how it is supposed to be. So judging by that - he had slowed down a lot. It is shame that Vettel wasn't able to stop, how could he know that Lewis is going to slow down where he should have been accelerating.

It was a trick.

Someone from Mercedes just needs to look at Hamiltons telemetry to determine whether or not he hit the brakes or lifted off the throttle at that moment and release that info to us and/or Vettel, simple.

The media outlets these days should be ashamed of themselves... On nearly every sporting site which has an F1 section there are almost 4 articles talking about the Vettel and Hamilton incident, Regurgitating the same information in the previous article. There should be a law against publishing an article that has more than 80% of the information the same as the previous article without a time difference of two weeks or more. Appalling to see...

The media outlets these days should be ashamed of themselves... On nearly every sporting site which has an F1 section there are almost 4 articles talking about the Vettel and Hamilton incident, Regurgitating the same information in the previous article. There should be a law against publishing an article that has more than 80% of the information the same as the previous article without a time difference of two weeks or more. Appalling to see...
Could not agree more, welcome to the Age of Digital Media where reporting and mis-reporting go hand in hand, truth or not.

....It was a trick.
Is it not necessary for the leader to try to surprise the following once and he should drive predictable as possible at the restart. :thumbsup:
Best opinion ever mate :laugh: Also your statement about Vettels behavior after this should be considered ;)
I think if it happens the other way around you'll be one of the first guys who lift up Vettel for this great and clever maneuver and blame Hamilton for his stupidity :whistling:
Not an offence, just a statement about yours :thumbsup:

@After_Midnight If you'd brake check me like that online....

Of course Vettel was wrong to get angry, and do that little bump, but if I was Hamilton, then I'd admit that it was his mistake too to drive so slowly, but he was so slow on purpose. Maybe he didn't want Vettel to crash into him, but the result was exactly that. In this case I'd call it: "Mental games failure".

Can Hamilton and Vettel fans look past their support and give and unbiased opinion? very unlikely.
I belive its all part of racing no major damage was done but not owning or acknowledging your actions is bad

Vettel should own it and explain he was angry and lost it or whatever he's reason and lets move on. Based on he's denial of the side contact, he did not learn what was wrong and should have a stiffer punishment.

The poll result will be fan boy based...even after telemetry says there was no brake test people still belive he brake test?
You don't have to pump the brakes to slow these cars rapidly the electric recovery is enough to slow the cars down by a significant margin just look back at Webber's crash at Valencia and that was without hybrid recovery system he simply couldn't react fast enough when the lotus lifted off at the end of the straight and wham downforce became lift

People are watching F1 in 2017? o.O Holy sh*t. Uhm, back to topic, ofcourse was Vettels behaviour wrong but it showed that he doesnt let Hamiltons do his games with the others. Mostly all of the Hamilton fans are whining about Vettels behaviour but take a look back at 2014-2016 were Hamilton literally bullied Rosberg. Now Vettel just pays it back so its in my opinion justified to show Hamilton that he isnt the b0$$ in F1 and cant do whatever he wants to.

F1 became way too boring. Its more a politic sport (who has the best connections to FIA, who has the most money and so on) than some kind of motorsport. They should bring in a BoP to see whos the real fastest driver on the track. Also the fight should be on track and without any kind of electronical helps such as DRS and ERS. Since about 2011 F1 is dying more and more. Why cant they just bring back the old good times where it was the drivers work and not the pitcrews. Besides Michael Schumachers dominance in F1 been the times from 2000-2007 the best in F1 history in my opinion. A lot of fighting in the top 10, leadgroups of more than just 2 cars and some action packed racing.

Last edited:

Then watch the on board video again. Yes, he tapped the brake, but it was AFTER THE CONTACT.
Just watch the move of his helmet caused by the contact.
I don't like Hamilton at all, I don't like his behaviour, and yes, his dirty tricks. But now I don't think he was seriously guilty. For me it was a normal before-restart trickery from him.
What I really don't understand: Is there anybody who REALLY BELIEVE Vettel didn't rammed willfully into the Mercedes?
The worst thing for me in this case, Vettel doesn't have the balls to say, yes I was very angry with him, sorry for that move. No. He says, I didn't do anything, like a child, despite there are evidences from at least 5 cameras.
It's ridiculous.

Last edited:
So let me understand this, for you, is exactly the same doing what Vettel did behind a safety car at 50kph, to what Senna did to Prost in the first lap of the 1990 Japanese gp ? ok...

btw I would do exactly what Senna did in that situation, but I would probably not have done what Vettel did

At least Senna had the decency to forewarn Prost before the race started that he was going to do it. :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 205 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 148 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 111 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 210 14.3%