Valve Index Announced

So the only option for me is either built a desktop PC that could maintain 90fps or return Index and grab Rift S? Do you know of things would be better if I get Alienware amplifier and put 2070 Super in it? I will loose probably around 10% of performance due to connection but it would still be around 30% more than my 2070 Max-Q? Would that make any difference?

One other Index issue I've found is getting controller configurations to stick. You can create custom configurations for each game and save any number of profiles for that game, but getting a new profile to take effect seems to require that I reboot my computer.

That said the Index controllers are extremely configurable and I can get them to work as well as my Touch controllers and actually a little better because they have so many places to map things. I can even have redundant assignments and choose whether the joy sticks or track pad operate as a button, a DPad with configurable functions for N,S,E,W etc.. Very nice stuff. I'm finding that I like this better playing In Death because I don't accidentally hit the joystick when going for a button, but snap right and left work great and I'm using the track pad as a different button.

I haven't started with any of the very advanced things like gestures, but they are a way to effectively add a pile of additional controls with finger positions.

It appears that Valve sent out a bunch of updates today, updating SteamVR and the firmware for the headset and the controllers.

Now my changes to the controllers are taking effect better. There is a new test Controller section.

I'm continuing to get it dialed in better. It is really sucking me in and I've been playing around with it again more non-stop today. This is huge :)

Since no one here talks much about the actual performance of the hand controllers and tracking. Compared to the original Rift, this is at another level. The combination of clarity and just being able to aim within a hairs breath, means I've got headshot, headshot, headshot and then way way way off in the distance shots with a much higher degree of accuracy. I have been getting used to the new controllers now that they are becoming 2nd nature, I'm really happy with how quickly I've recovered back to where I was and now I'm pulling away into new personal performance!

Index Synopsis:

Hand Controllers: Tracking is fantastic and allows me much greater accuracy than I had with the Rift cameras. Getting used to them took me about a day from the Rift Touch controllers to reach proficiency. They are very comfortable and fit my hands well. As of the last SteamVR, firmware update the Controller configuration tool allow you to make changes to the mappings while the game is up that take effect immediately!!!

Base Stations: Set them and forget them. Setup for the Index is very easy. Rather than telling it your height like the Oculus asks. The Index just asks you to put your controllers on the floor and it calibrates everything from there. Not sure how this works without them. You trace your play area just like the Rift walking around with an hand controller with the trigger pressed. Setup overall was very quick and easier than setting up a Rift with cameras.

Heat: Not an issue that I've noticed after extended marathon sessions. I leave the front shield off just because of the reddit post saying it stays 10-15 degrees cooler that way. For racing and flight sims I typically have a small fan blowing at me.

Room Scale: Having an additional meter in length over the Rift cable is great! I'm running two base stations in opposite corners of my room and have a much larger area to play and never run out of cable. In Death is no longer trying to direct me to face forward and for tracking purposes it doesn't matter how I'm facing.

The HeadSet: This has gotten the most press, so I saved it for last.
  • Color: Looks great to me
  • Sharpness: Excellent
  • SDE: If you look for it you can still see it, but it doesn't jump out like the Rift and I rarely ever notice it in games.
  • FOV: Noticeably better and as others have said especially vertically which is great for glancing down at gauges without having to look down.
  • Comfort: Very comfortable even after extended sessions. No aftermarket anything required.
  • On/Off: Once you have the headset adjusted it is very easy to pull off and put back on without any readjustments necessary.
  • Hygiene: I just got my 2 spare face gaskets which pop in and out extremely easily with the magnetic fasteners. The material is soft and feels great.
  • FPS: I could tell the difference running at 120fps and I would love to run every game at that speed if I could.
  • Audio: I'm hearing effects in games that I never noticed and it does make everything sound more full and ambient. I can't hear my NLRv3 or transducers while playing and honestly the out of the box sound is loud and I turned it down some. These headphones are very dynamic and some games have more pop in them to handle lesser headphones. Some effects in some games while spectacular where too much and I had to adjust game settings to lower the volume.
Performance: My i9-9900K with 1080Ti is running it well, but it takes a pretty powerful machine to really take advantage of it. Dirt Rally running inside ReVive appears to require dropping to 80 fps to reliably work without any stuttering. I could run it at 90fps and it would be good most of the time. Likewise DCS World flying planes looked great most of the time at 90fps, but depending on settings was happier at 80fps. In PC2 it will run 120fps well and I like it. For many other room scale games I could run 120fps and crank up the resolution quite a bit. I was running Space Pirate Trainer at 180% and 120fps and it looked great. Likewise In Death at 120fps and 140% looks great.

Gaming Performance: This is a combination of things.
  • Higher frame rate
  • Better clarity and resolution
  • Better tracking
When you can see further, aim more accurately because of tracking and higher frame rate the combination is greater than the sum of its parts. This will give you an advantage in some games. I notice this especially playing In Death. It was like I had a scope on my bow.

Work In Progress: I've updated the firmware and SteamVR twice since I got my Index and the changes are combinations of bug fixes and new features. This has just been released and I can only assume there will be performance enhancements coming as well like there have been for every other headset that has been released.

My hope is that eventually I'll have a computer that can drive this headset in all games like I can in Eve Valkyrie at ultra high settings with 120 or better fps and high super sampling. It looks absolutely stunning! This tells me that I'll only get better results out of this headset over time.

• Deleted member 197115

Make sure to put it back when not in use, spiders like warm crevices like that.

FWIW and since I'm sure you would be curious the Odyssey + does have less SDE as I'm sure you suspected, so it still has that bragging right.

My son who owns the Odyssey + has been in my Index for a couple hours. He loved the smoothness of 120fps in shooting games. I found the auto smoothing is nothing to be scared of in DCS World so he's been flying with 120% at 90fps and it looks good.

He.played In Death again which he gave up on with the Odyssey + because of tracking issues. He ran PC2 at 120fps and we finally tried Beat Saber at 144Hz. Worked great :)

Last edited:
OMG the difference at 144 fps is remarkable! In Space Pirate Trainer it seemed to take on a higher resolution and felt very very much like I was really there as fictitious as that place was. I don't know how or why, but the SDE appeared to disappear completely at that refresh rate. I'm going to guess that my head moves just enough that at that refresh rate it manages to fill in any remaining gap to persist. I still had it running at 140% at 144 fps. There is some threshold that feels like it's been passed at 144 fps that is absolute smoothness. 120 fps looks good but 144 fps is being there. Both Beat Saber at 100% and Space Pirate trainer at 140% stayed in the green without smoothing at 144 fps. I can't believe there is a more noticeable difference between 120 and 144 fps than there is between 90 and 120 fps, but there is. It was more noticeable in Space Pirate Trainer than Beat Saber for some reason.

Was running iRacing at 120 fps and 120% solid today. The physics in that game are the best I've experienced and the NLRv3 response was also the best I've experienced. I still need to dial in the tactile a bit, but wow! The overall experience was excellent.

My left headset headphone just quit on me after just under 2 weeks of use.

I reconnected every plug and tried a set of regular headphones plugged directly into the Index 1/8" jack. The regular headphones worked fine, so I know the audio is making it's way to the headset.

I just created a support ticket, so I guess I get to find out how well their support works.

Sorry to hear that, Mark :(

Let's hope they will get you back up and running soon. I'll be interested to hear about how your case gets treated.

I googled around for this issue and I couldn't find anything, so hopefully it's just my copy. The big issue people had was having no audio at all which required upgrading the NVidia driver.

Until I ship mine back, I can get by with ear buds, but I definitely don't like ear buds nearly as much.

My Index had a Microphone fault on day one. Steam support handled it really well. But it may take a couple of days to get your first response from support.

Pure coincidence, the replacement headset arrived today. I don't know they'll handle your situation, but they sent me the replacement while I still have my original purchase. They said they'll send me a shipping label to return the old one. But at this moment I have two Indexes.
upload_2019-8-12_17-12-21.png

I hope they do that with me as well. Sending out a replacement before requiring I mail mine back would be a good sign.

I can get by with ear buds, but ideally would like to not be without my HMD.

Last edited:
I don't know if another factor influenced things. I recorded the fault in my YouTube review and sent them a link to the segment when I contacted them. There was some going back and forth telling me to try some things before they decided it was a genuine fault. It was a pleasant surprise how they handled it this way.

I've been really impressed with Steam Support and have been pleasantly surprised. Requests typically take 2 - 3 days to get an answer but they are always detailed, specific and thorough in their response. I was experiencing a random and temporary black screen during racing and we had some diagnostic exchanges between us. I sorted it in the end by other methods and reported back that everything appeared stable and the problem was resolved. However on the basis that the HMD cable may have been a contributory factor, they offered to send me a replacement anyway, which arrived in the UK a couple of days later. No fuss and no complicated RMA procedure either. Clearly they want their users to be up and running and enjoying their Index with minimum downtime and 'red tape' and that's certainly to be commended.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back