F1 2012 'Understeer' is actually faulty grip levels: CM fix inside

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)
CM explains why there IS an understeer issue:

"Hi guys, just to let you know that we’ve adjusted track information that will provide a more uniform level of grip across the entire surface. This update will be going live in patch #4 later today.

We’ll post the patch notes later this afternoon!"

grip levels needed to be more uniform

I agree F1 2011 had too much grip.. and too much optimum balance.. but at least that balance responded properly to setup changes.. the way a race car should.. and also allowed you to slide the front OR the rear.. depending on how you drove it. These cars don't allow you to slide the rear.. it's normal to have this problem but normally you can avoid it with car setup (both in real life and in sims). In F1 2012.. it's like understeer is hardcoded into everything you do.. and no matter what you change.. it's still understeer. Normally cars with this characteristic are touring cars that weight twice as much with tyres half as wide.. these are F1 cars that weigh 600kg and have 750hp..
Got to agree, i play GSC and i really know what you mean when driving touring cars, the stock car feels like this, even if you make a setup with much more oversteer you will only get oversteer on exits, since the weight of the car is too much and it wants to go wide. By the way, i wish someday i can play an F1 game with physics like GSC.:)

After some experiements I've been able to have some oversteer in time trials.. just need to use extreme anti roll bar settings.. I still have braking problems and high chance of running wide (if braking super late).. but now it's understeer + oversteer.. anyway.. I think with balance you just need to focus more on anti roll bars and less on wings.

I have been able to spin on entry like Perez did at Suzuka. Just needs extreme settings. With rear brake bias and lots of rear anti roll bar. And driving like a spaz. :)

In my opinion there is no understeer problem what so ever, you just need to play the game differently. When i frist tried the Demo trust me i was like what the hell CM have done with the handling model but after spending time and changing my style completely now i have no understeer problem and then again this is my opinion, i don't have any problem if you think otherwise. See the video below and tell me if you can see any udersteer problem:

BTW the person most complaining about understeer doesn't have the game yet.

I can understand why some people don't have problems, but it seems to effect wheels differently. For example the G27 seems to be the wheel to have for this game, but the Thrustmaster seems to be an ok wheel but betyter than the XBox 360 wheel. In F1 2010 and 2011 i used the 360 wheel and it felt the exact same in both games, i got the Thrustmaster while playing 2011 and i was much slower because i needed to adapt to the new wheel. I use to race with the wheel sitting on my lap and the pedals was almost flat to the floor so very little room for applying the power, the Thrustmaster had more space between 0 and 100% acceleration but the pedal was stiff (thats to be expected from a new wheel). Now the pedals are much softer, the way i like them.

The only complaint i really have is how twitchy the cars can be on very long straights and the fact that you can't use a line that is used in real life without loosing some time, it seems there is only 1 line for each track and that is wrong. Apart from those 2 little things (and they are little things) i love F1 2012, and will continue to play it. After i got 2012 i uninstalled 2011 and never reinstalled it or thourght about reinstalling it, i have a lot to learn about the handalling in 2012 and that will come in time, i don't have the amount of free time as many people who play this game, but what time i do have i will have to use it to get use to the new handalling physics of this years game.

The only complaint i really have is how twitchy the cars can be on very long straights and the fact that you can't use a line that is used in real life without loosing some time, it seems there is only 1 line for each track and that is wrong. Apart from those 2 little things (and they are little things) i love F1 2012, and will continue to play it. After i got 2012 i uninstalled 2011 and never reinstalled it or thourght about reinstalling it, i have a lot to learn about the handalling in 2012 and that will come in time, i don't have the amount of free time as many people who play this game, but what time i do have i will have to use it to get use to the new handalling physics of this years game.
Roy by any chance you are using toe in and out settings far right. Twitchyness can be greatly reduce by using toe in and out to the left. Try that and let me know how it went!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back