TT Isle of Man - The Game

As good as the game is for us TT fans, yes the physics are based on car physics. And Kylotonns car physics at that. It is what it is.
But forgetting the sidecars, the bikes do work well. If you ride them with care and feel like you would a real bike. As a biker myself with track experience I still ride the bikes in the game with a fear of crashing anyway hence my lap times are slower than these super fast no fear hot lappers we have in the overall timings. Yesterday I jumped on the cbr600 (Bruce Ansty's) for the first time in a couple of weeks and did a 4 lap TT race without falling off once. I finished with an average lap time of 20 mins which is slow but boy was it fun and it was super realistic with a lot of sweating in the end. What I am saying is if you just play this game pushing 120%, the physics will bite you eventually. So I play it at 80% just like the real riders in real life ride the circuit.

I don't mind the "go careful" ethos, I'm happy with just about getting to the 20 min mark. I just wish the bike behaviour was more like a bike. Downside is I'm gravitating back towards Ride2 and hardly spending any time with this anymore.....I'm gutted but I just don't enjoy the physics. I'll hopefully get back into it one day and crack on with learning the track.

23:13 over the mountain course after some real effort to learn how to get the crazy trike under control! If I could reduce the number of crashes in slow speed corners I would be close to the current top 10 times in the 21 minute range. How the current leader is running 19 minutes is well beyond me, I can just about do that on the much faster supersport bikes.

This is what seems to work for me to keep the sidecar on the track and sunny side up:

+ Throttle management in the faster corners, ease off and throttle trough the apex to avoid those slides that are so easy to induce.
+ No throttle lifting once committed to the corner, that always ends in a massive and mostly unrecoverable slide.
+ Keep well off the kerbs, they are instant death.
+ Braking distances are huge compared to the bikes.
+ Slow corners mean ultra slow and I need to be able to see the exit before throttling on to avoid huge 'oversteer' and being thrown into the inside of the slow corners. I've crashed so many times at low speed.
+ The sidecars seem to demand even more patience and balance, maintaining speed with balance.

Anyway it's a huge challenge and absolutely different from any of the other racing games I've played before.

I did another 4 lap Supersport TT today. It is excellent. The feeling of speed etc. Riding on the edge literally and riding the bike like it was my own trackbike, with due care and attention. Really enjoyed it. And not one off. So it is perfectly rideable if you ride it realistically with fear of crashing. The sidecars are another thing altogether......leave em alone. They are not motorbikes anyway.:whistling:;)
I came 5th this time with an average lap time of 19,02 minutes and that for me is realistic. It was hard to concentrate for all four laps but the feeling of maintaining your relative time position against the AI is superb.
I love it.
ps, it's getting me in the mood. Not long to go now. :thumbsup:

r9P8TOZ.jpg

AyMgbst.jpg

XhebwC7.jpg

m8ghdMC.jpg

Last edited:
Hey all,

First off I just want to say if you're reading this and you've already given up on the sidecars I really recommend you go back and give them another try, as unrealistic as the physics are they can actually be really fun and rewarding to ride once you understand their physics!

Before you start I would say lowering your sensitivity settings are essential, I run with brake and throttle at 0% and steering at 45%. The sidecars are all about being smooth and gentle, the dreaded rightwards spin usually results from asking too much from the tyres in a corner, lowering your sensitivity means you have a much higher control range to play with before you start pushing the tyres too much.

At the start take the sidecar with the highest handling, set semi-auto passenger, pick your favourite non-TT circuit and just do some laps, my advice is as follows:

- Left-hand Corners: Going left is the easier of the two directions, don't use too much input and you should be able to get through the corner ok. If the sidecar starts to lift it is really hard to recover so you have to be really smooth, use all the road and be gentle and you're good. Sometimes the AI passenger will be stupid and not lean around a corner, if this happens just manually move them for that corner to avoid a crash.

- Right-hand Corners: This is probably the hardest element of the sidecars, too much steering input will spear the sidecar right and is basically instant death when it happens. Be smooth with your inputs, gradually move the stick to the side and look and listen as you go through the corner, you will over time be able to see and feel when it is about to slide and thus recover. Again using all the road is very important. Most of the spins I see are from people steering waaay too much and instantly losing traction coming through the corner.

- Braking: It is less common but sometimes the sidecar will spin on the brakes, this happens because of lock-ups, listen to the engine as you brake and don't let it bog down because it is starting to lock and will probably spin if you carry on like that. Use tiny brake inputs at first, the brakes are quite strong and don't need anywhere near full input to slow down properly.

Summary:
- Be smooth
- TINY steering inputs
- Use ALL the road
- Learn from your crashes; Too much steering input? Locked a wheel? What did you do to cause the crash?

So I hope this guide helps a few people to enjoy the sidecars and maybe even brings some of you back who have abandoned them, as I said before they can be really rewarding and satisfying to get right, you just have to get your head round them first.

FJBH10

I honestly didn’t find them too hard. The key is, like you say, being smooth. I don’t use the brakes that much and don’t downshift too much and concentrate on smoothness and shifting the passenger correctly (I play with no aids). I crashed a lot initially while I got used to things but it’s fine once you know where the limits are on different corners.

I really wish they would have the leaderboard shown periodically in online multiplayer on TT laps. It works on other tracks and actual TT races, but most online play is doing a single lap of the mountain course.

Yesterday I came second in a race by 0.8 seconds. I was 8th on the road, the winner was 2nd, and I had lost count of other riders I’d passed and thought I had it in the bag at the end and backed off over the mountain. Wish they’d sort this out as it’s quite annoying.

lol, be the most interesting part of it, he bound too have better physics than the bikes or sidecars
Oh no... physics speech again. :rolleyes:
I guess we'll know for sure after we hit him.
Imagine if they added people running across the street like they do with rabbits in Dirt 4 lol
They have rabbit(s) in DiRT 4 ? :confused:
Totally ashamed to say I didn't noticed single one.
Guess that's the proof that I need to play the game more. :x3:

But seriously... best pedestrians/bystanders/spectators/marshals ever were those in Richard Burns rally. Dear Lord...:inlove: how many many times did I thought "will he move:confused: or not already!" they were flashing their cameras, smoking pot or whatever right in the middle of the damn road and move (seemingly) always at the very last time.
Priceless. Shame no one could (or care to try?) repeat that in their game anymore. Rally games should have that, period. And maybe TT Isle of Man too. Ok this is different kind of crowd, speeds are much higher but having a man or two, standing in not so safe position, would add a lot to immersion, for sure !

But seriously... best pedestrians/bystanders/spectators/marshals ever were those in Richard Burns rally. Dear Lord...:inlove: how many many times did I thought "will he move:confused: or not already!" they were flashing their cameras, smoking pot or whatever right in the middle of the damn road and move (seemingly) always at the very last time.
Agreed:thumbsup:

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 43 8.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 21 4.4%
  • Yearly

Votes: 31 6.4%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.1%