Trulli out, Petrov in

He was so extatic with the new car and this is what happens.
Sad to be honest..

Yup, it's the cruel world of motorsports :/ I was never a fan of the guy but if they were going to do this they should have let him go sooner rather than let Jarno's hopes up.

Either way I'm glad to see Petrov with a ride this year. I don't care what anyone says about the money behind him, I think he's a good racer.

i don't think Trulli was faking it..he was having driving issues or something,no doubt...the question i think is: could the team have fix it or did they want him to struggle all season(like Webber let's say) so they can replace him for 2012..after all they are a new team that could use some sponsor money, so continuing to keep two drivers purely based on talent is illogical

im not going to lie and will admt that i have thought about how they(RB) could've blown that tyre ,but i dont get to spend much time around F1cars so its hard to say...and specualting openly on it would be foolish
..if me and you were having a coffee i would:)

I think what happen in Brasil solidified my theory for Abu..whether or not Mark could've won Abu is a differen story...RB7 was a very fast car,so surely if you took one of them out the other has a better chance at winning,considering the constructor had already been won they had nothing to lose really

i don't think Trulli was faking it..he was having driving issues or something,no doubt...the question i think is: could the team have fix it or did they want him to struggle all season(like Webber let's say) so they can replace him for 2012..after all they are a new team that could use some sponsor money, so continuing to keep two drivers purely based on talent is illogical
Ahaa ok i understand what you mean now :)
But then we get to the weird stuff of letting him do the tests instead of just hiring Petrov at the end of the season.

I disagree, i think two drivers that are proven is worth more then sponsorship money. Especially with a team like Caterham which in reality already have a massive backing from AirAsia. I do get the idea of why they let Trulli go but i just think it would be better to run the car they have, put everything in their two excellent drivers then let the results do the talking.
The better you perform the better sponsors you get.

im not going to lie and will admt that i have thought about how they(RB) could've blown that tyre ,but i dont get to spend much time around F1cars so its hard to say...and specualting openly on it would be foolish
..if me and you were having a coffee i would:)
If you have ever been in the Off topic section then you will see i talk about quite a lot of controversial things.
But it needs some form of plausible evidence so if you have some theories then let me know, you never know, a lot of crazy stuff has happened over the years in F1. Renault springs to mind...

I think what happen in Brasil solidified my theory for Abu..whether or not Mark could've won Abu is a differen story...RB7 was a very fast car,so surely if you took one of them out the other has a better chance at winning
So you have another theory but this time it´s the gearbox? :)

Would Webber still have been 2nd in the championship if he had come 2nd in the race?

Webber had a gap of almost 30 seconds to Button at the end of the Brazil GP. 10 seconds to Vettel with a broken gearbox.

Ahaa ok i understand what you mean now :)
But then we get to the weird stuff of letting him do the tests instead of just hiring Petrov at the end of the season. .
they weren't sure if Petrov could string up his sponsors together
I disagree, i think two drivers that are proven is worth more then sponsorship money. Especially with a team like Caterham which in reality already have a massive backing from AirAsia. I do get the idea of why they let Trulli go but i just think it would be better to run the car they have, put everything in their two excellent drivers then let the results do the talking.
The better you perform the better sponsors you get.

Don't forget Petrov is a talented driver,yet to reach his peak(who brings a ton of money with him),where Trulli is on the downslope of his carrer

If you have ever been in the Off topic section then you will see i talk about quite a lot of controversial things.
But it needs some form of plausible evidence so if you have some theories then let me know, you never know, a lot of crazy stuff has happened over the years in F1. Renault springs to mind...

just because it looks implousible doesnt mean it is:)..yes Renault and Nelsinho ..exactly

Would Webber still have been 2nd in the championship if he had come 2nd in the race?

Webber had a gap of almost 30 seconds to Button at the end of the Brazil GP. 10 seconds to Vettel with a broken gearbox.

it's not the tyres Or the gearbox..it's what the team decides it to be:)

as i said earlier..we can only specualte on this,but the agenda of the team owners will remain uncertain

they weren't sure if Petrov could string up his sponsors together
Still don´t make sense. Why deliberately destroy for a driver when they actually depend on him.

Don't forget Petrov is a talented driver,yet to reach his peak(who brings a ton of money with him),where Trulli is on the downslope of his carrer
If Trulli and Petrov got a car each i think Trulli would beat him in everything to be honest. I have yet to be impressed with Petrov yet.
If Michael can do it at 43, then i think Trulli can at 37, especially considering he never took a break from F1.

just because it looks implousible doesnt mean it is:)..yes Renault and Nelsinho ..exactly
I never said it was impossible, i just don´t see any logic behind the Abu Dhabi and Brazil incidents.

it's not the tyres Or the gearbox..it's what the team decides it to be:)
as i said earlier..we can only specualte on this,but the agenda of the team owners will remain uncertain
So they fiddle with the car before the race and make sure it breaks during the race?
Still don´t make any sense in terms of the Abu Dhabi race where Vettel actually would be an asset to have on track.

The agenda of the team owners is to win everything, always. Not manufacture wins for the nr2 driver :)
wins that the nr1 driver could have taken instead.

Trulli was better than Alonso in 2004...
In France Trulli made one mistake, making Flavio mad. After that Trulli didn't have a good car anymore, and after a fight it led to a break up.

I don´t even know how he got the Toyota on pole from time to time, or even close to pole.
Especially in 08 where BMW Ferrari Mclaren & Renault all won races he still managed to put the car 2nd on the grid for Brazil GP next to Massa.

It´s like he broke the laws of physics in qualifying from time to time.

In my opinion, discussing Trulli's glory days is pointless. They are clearly over, so what does it matter if he was (perhaps) good once?

In the here and now, this decision is completely rational and makes perfect sense. Petrov might have a future, Trulli doesn't. Petrov has money, Trulli doesn't. That just about concludes it for me.

The only reason Petrov is in the Caterham is because of money.
Not talent, not great personality etc, 100% cash.
It is not because Trulli is past his prime, which i doubt by the way.
Just because he has never driven a Championship winning car it does not mean he´s less of a driver then some of the truly fast drivers in the history of F1.

We should not discuss past F1 drivers either judging by your logic? I´m sure Trulli would fit in that folder and in this thread bearing his name.

Told ya it would happen.

Oh the Irony that Trulli, moaning about pay-drivers stealing the seats of more talent gifted drivers, get replaced by such.

Successfully trolled.

You probably said lots of things. All of them were guesses though..
This one just popped into reality this time.

Which in itself is very sad. That a team that applied to run in F1 don´t even have the capital to run the team is a joke in of itself.
An even more fun note is that F1 probably has never been as cheap as it is now. Atleast in the modern day.

Oh the Irony that Trulli, moaning about pay-drivers stealing the seats of more talent gifted drivers, get replaced by such.
Considering his reaction now ("I was prepared for a possible divorce from Caterham, in the knowledge that the difficult economic situation would have pushed the team to find an adequately-supported driver"), he probably already knew this was going to happen when he did the moaning (or at least he had good reason to suspect it).

The only reason Petrov is in the Caterham is because of money.
Not talent, not great personality etc, 100% cash.
Hampus, you usually jump to Maldonado's defense, when he gets accused of these things and state that he we might not know yet how good he is, but yet you ascertain that Petrov definitely has no talent, even though he's also had some good drives?

I think he has a contract but not necessarily a contract to be in the race seat. At least that's sort of what the ambiguous stories from last year seemed to hint.
Whenever Mike Gascoyne or Tony Fernandes were asked about Trulli driving in 2012, they said "He will be part of the team." That doesn't guarantee a race seat or even a reserve seat.

Webber's win put him 1 point ahead of Alonso to take 3rd in the WDC.

Hampus, you usually jump to Maldonado's defense, when he gets accused of these things and state that he we might not know yet how good he is, but yet you ascertain that Petrov definitely has no talent, even though he's also had some good drives?
The difference here is one holds the record for most wins in GP2, and he's a GP2 world champion.

And no, i never said Petrov had no talent, i said he has yet to impress me and that the reason he's in F1 is not because of his talents, it's because of his sponsors.
If you want to make things up or put words in my mouth then i'll rather not reply again.

I kind of get the feeling that Trulli wasn't upset by being let go possibly because his heart/interest isn't in being an F1 driver anymore. He and the team might have talked about this before the switch. Or it was just understood.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back