Trulli out, Petrov in

Chris Jenkins

Driving til the wheels fall off
From BBC Sport:

Russian Vitaly Petrov has replaced Italian veteran Jarno Trulli at Caterham for 2012.
Trulli, 37, was under contract to the team but has been dropped after a tough 2011 season and the arrival of Petrov with a substantial sponsorship package.
The move is likely to end the career of a man who has been in F1 since 1997 and won the 2004 Monaco Grand Prix.
Petrov, 27, joins Caterham after two years at Renault, now re-named Lotus, and will partner Heikki Kovalainen.
Trulli joined Caterham - who have raced as Lotus until this year - for their debut season in 2010 but the relationship between the team and driver soured through 2011.
The Italian, who is renowned as a remarkably sensitive driver who needs the car to be to his liking to perform at his best, struggled with the car's power-steering system.
He was comprehensively out-performed by Kovalainen, and although his form improved when the team were able to fit a modified system with improved feel, he was out-qualified by Kovalainen in 16 of the 18 races they did together.
This was especially disappointing for the team as Trulli has been recognised throughout his career as one of the fastest drivers in the world over a single lap.
The Finn was also generally the stronger race performer, although Trulli did finish ahead in the championship on the basis of having one more 13th place finish.
Caterham's decision is based on two major factors.
One was that the budget Petrov brings - worth several million pounds - is the equivalent of having a new major sponsor, a major consideration in the current difficult economic climate, especially given that Trulli needed paying a salary.
The other was the usual size of the margin between Kovalainen and Trulli - often nearly a second in qualifying.
Although Petrov is considered only a journeyman, the team believe he should still be able to produce performances at least as good as if not better than Trulli was managing in 2011.
Team principal Tony Fernandes - a multi-millionaire businessman and owner of the Air Asia airline and Queens Park Rangers Football Club - has also been putting pressure on the team to become more self-sufficient. They have so far mostly been funded by his businesses.

I agree, you want as much consistency in testing as possible. Petrov might be completely different to Trulli in how he sets up and drives the car, which costs valuable time changing the car.

I am not a big fan of either of the drivers but what i have never understood about this ongoing "Trulli will be replaced" story is: didnt he have a contract with the team as a driver?

Now lets wait two weeks to see if Lada withdraws from the WTCC again so they can have their logo on the sidepot of a Caterham F1

I am not a big fan of either of the drivers but what i have never understood about this ongoing "Trulli will be replaced" story is: didnt he have a contract with the team as a driver?
If you remember Bram, the press release never stated that Trulli would actually be driving, and that caused a big fuss and that is where the replacement rumours started.
Still, looking forward to his first victory (if ever) so I can hear that awesome anthem that Russia have! :D

If you remember Bram, the press release never stated that Trulli would actually be driving
That still doesn't answer the question if Trulli has a contract with Caterham F1. Is he fired? Or how does that work.. I can imagine that if you have a contract they can't replace you. If he didnt have a contract, was he driving the test sessions as a free agent?

That still doesn't answer the question if Trulli has a contract with Caterham F1. Is he fired? Or how does that work.. I can imagine that if you have a contract they can't replace you. If he didnt have a contract, was he driving the test sessions as a free agent?

I read that Caterham were negotiating with Petrov's sponsors, to get them to agree to buy out Trulli's contract.

they will buy him out, it's happened in the past and will happen again with him, unless he takes up a reserve slot which i highly doubt as i think it's been filled.

personally i think Truli will do alot better in another series :)

Now lets wait two weeks to see if Lada withdraws from the WTCC again so they can have their logo on the sidepot of a Caterham F1

That's exactly what I fear of. I really liked their approach in WTCC in 2008-2009. I would really like to see them return there, seeing the Lada logo on a F1 car is much less exciting. I also think it's much worse marketing for them. I still didn't see a single Kalina/Priora/Granta on the streets, only the good old box Ladas, Samaras, and a few 110-s that appeared in 2008-2009 when they were in WTCC. 1 thing is that F1 is watched by more people, but seeing a Lada logo on a Renault is not exactly the same as seeing an actual Lada racing car competing in an FIA official world championship, among cars like BMW-s f.e..

On another note I'm glad that Petrov still has a seat in F1 as I think he is a good driver. I'm not happy about the removal of Trulli though as probably he could have a few seasons still. One thing worth to mention about him btw is that there were times when he had beaten Alonso, and not many people have done that.

People have judged him too quickly, they probably only started watching F1, 2 years ago not relly understanding what a fine driver Trulli really is.

This decision just shows that Caterham needed the money which falls in line with what the boss said about being more independent.
Truly iditotic decision imo.. just when they really can fight with the bottom-middle markers they blow it.
Kova and Trulli was an incredibly strong line up for a rookie team.

Trulli more or less ended his own career a few years ago by admitting that he couldn't concentrate enough to drive 100% for a full race. Always mega fast on one lap, but lacks consistency.

So he ended his career a few years ago despite continuing to run with Toyota until they quit and then got a new contract with Team Lotus?

I think that statement should be taken as lightly as Hamilton's race joke.
He finished on 13th place one more time then Kova so some concentration is it left for sure.

Money > Talent.....Jarno was a good driver, better than Petrov in fact, Its just the fact that his Caterham cars have always had issues with him, he wasnt confortable in it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back