Tracks tracks modding, physical objects

[FIXED]

Hey guys,

what's the secret behind physical objects in Assetto ??? I'm trying to get these working and I'm struggling with visibility, and also their physics is , well let's say funny, as they keep wanting to stand up

I was under assumption that the AC_POBJECT_1_01 is a simplified geom for the collision, and underneath it, you will have the actual mesh that you want to be visible, but I'm getting issues where it's one visible from certain angle and what not all the time, plus it's reverse to what I would expect, the more detailed child geom is the only that only shows at certain angles, and the other one doesn't hide

or is it the other way around that the AC_POBJECT is the visual higher detail mesh, and the other one is the one used for collision and should be set to non-rendeable?

have anyone got these working and figure out what exactly they need to be set to ??

here is a vid showing both issues

sorry for 2 vids, I used to be able to merge these in youtube, but that option seems to disappear now

Last edited:
There's nothing automatic I think, you have to set the parent object not renderable.

I had the vague impression from doing cones that it determines the center of mass using the average of vertice positions. Which decides how it can fall over.

hmm, that would be interesting, since my things are proper boxes, so the center of gravity is certainly not at the base ,.. pivot is thouhg, so maybe I should raise it

edit: yeah so just verified that it's ineed pivot where it takes the center of mass from, making it center of my object makes those things fall normally,

still not sure why the visibility doesn't work as expected, ... when set the parent to be invisible, I only see them in a small angle :( sigh

Last edited:
By checking the foam (or whatever material is) of the sign at the first chicane of monza made by kunos, it looks like that it's only one object called AC_POBJECT_00x and set as renderable

for some object, I suppopse it makes sense to use only 1 object, but for things like traffic cones, those might be too heavy for collisions, if you use the actuall full detail mesh

In fact the first chicane object is a rectangle, so very easy mesh. but for the plastic new jersey they use a high poly and low poly object both renderable but they are called Jersey_HI_1 and Jersey_LOW_1. For object like the one in your videos they use (at silverstone 67) the POBJECT name but with no render (at the last fast corner before the start/finish line)

That's a good question and i'm trying to find an answer too Patrik

The jersey i checked is the one in the inside corner of red bull ring, so maybe is different naming because no car have to hit it in kunos evaluation

well if the mesh is outside where you can hit it, it obviosly doesn't need a dynamic collision object, which I think that's exactly what the AC_POBJECT is ,
but yeah, no idea why it works for Kunos tracks and not min .. yet

I can't open the fbx easily (editor takes about 20min just to load) and take a screenshot, but the persistence settings are like this

Code:
[model_FBX: sebring.fbx_AC_POBJECT_cone_large.004]
ACTIVE=1
PRIORITY=0

[model_FBX: sebring.fbx_AC_POBJECT_cone_large.004_AC_POBJECT_cone_large.004]
ACTIVE=1
PRIORITY=0
VISIBLE=1
TRANSPARENT=0
CAST_SHADOWS=1
LOD_IN=0
LOD_OUT=0
RENDERABLE=0

[model_FBX: sebring.fbx_AC_POBJECT_cone_large.004_VisibleCone.008]
ACTIVE=1
PRIORITY=0

[model_FBX: sebring.fbx_AC_POBJECT_cone_large.004_VisibleCone.008_VisibleCone.008]
ACTIVE=1
PRIORITY=0
VISIBLE=1
TRANSPARENT=0
CAST_SHADOWS=1
LOD_IN=0
LOD_OUT=0
RENDERABLE=1
It's 4 objects cause there's object + mesh on each of 2 layers. The pobject one is definitely not rendering cause it's a pyramid that entirely contains the visible cone.

Last edited:
I think I tried that, but didn't see anyting

I guess my probelm all along is the actual hero object, that it doesn't render - only in ceratin angle, so the thing is working as should in my setup, but I don't see the object for some reason

I have no idea about the names, but this is how I have it set up in 3ds max. The parents/child stuff is the same in blender:
SAeSTRl.jpg

alright, so reading logs revaled something suspicious, there were errors not finding a surface ID for those objects, which is weird,
until I realized that name starts with number!! .. becasue they were named as 100marker, 200marker ( describing what they are ) , but in AC, if object name starts with number, it's used for auto collision, and it needs to be defined as surface !!

renaming meshes to marker100_01, etc. solved the problem !!! yaaay!

sounds like the auto hide-ing coudl be some render optimization ?

Come to think of it, I did have objects disappearing... on Test Pad, which for some reason had huge scales on some of the objects (like 50x scale). Applying scale made them cull correctly so the editor's doing some bounding box calculation wrong on scaled objects.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back