The what pisses you off the most about rF2 thread

Partly to blame is the rose -tinted view we take of studios, believing they exist only to make the best simulation possible when the reality is that as businesses their priority will always be investors and shareholders. As any other business, 397 exists to make money first and foremost.

If they were to deal with the many offline/AI issues for already paid up users like us, what do they get? Perhaps some future dlc sales? We blindly buy that anyway even though we know it will probably be useless offline. (Cote d' Azur - purchased winter '19, finally made useable spring '21...shouldn't complain I s'pose...)

Judging by the direction, it's probably more lucrative to sell licences for e sports events and appeal to new customers via that route than it is to pander to our wants or actually get the thing to fulfil it's potential. Never let a good simulation get in the way of making money it seems. Not unique to 397.

Tbh i'm finding sim racing a bit dull at the moment. Despite the massive pc hardware advances of recent years, all of the development is in motion rigs, ever more expensive wheels or graphics etc. It seems that Rf2 was "peak" complexity, with more recent sims, for example, opting for empirical tyre models rather than go to the expense of developing a physical model. And yes, afaik current physical models are flawed and technically difficult to implement but of the two, it is the newer technology. By now we should be shredding tyres in real time, but it is easier and cheaper to keep dialing numbers into a formula that has probably been around since the dawn of sim racing.

Having been around since Chequered Flag on the ZX Spectrum it's been a fun ride, watching the complexity of driving games increase as the hardware got stronger but I feel that the ride is over. The last few years have brought nothing new to the table, no one is pushing for ever more nerdy levels of detail anymore. In my opinion ISI were the last to truly break new ground. (Sorry if i'm discounting iRacing here but i never got past the comedy payment model.) It seems complexity costs money in this era of just-enough simulation...

Last edited:
Partly to blame is the rose -tinted view we take of studios, believing they exist only to make the best simulation possible when the reality is that as businesses their priority will always be investors and shareholders. As any other business, 397 exists to make money first and foremost.
t seems that Rf2 was "peak" complexity, with more recent sims, for example, opting for empirical tyre models rather than go to the expense of developing a physical model. And yes, afaik current physical models are flawed and technically difficult to implement but of the two, it is the newer technology. By now we should be shredding tyres in real time, but it is easier and cheaper to keep dialing numbers into a formula that has probably been around since the dawn of sim racing.
So S397 gets a pass on fixing bugs because they exist to make money, but other devs should go to the expense to develop more complex tire models to make the best simulation possible?

Last edited:
I wasn't gonna post anything in this thread as life is too short to "love to hate" a computer game, but in recent months/weeks I've grown tired of the RF2 Devs blatantly ignoring the much long needed AI bugs & issues....to the point I quit the testing team as I just cannot be arsed to support a company that persistently ignores this area for so long.

As you all know I'm a staunch supporter of RF2, I do have the utmost respect for S397 and what ISI did before them. I stood by them through thick and thin, defended them where common sense was needed amongst the keyboard warriors moaning about the smallest detail. I spent many happy hours behind the scenes helping out testing new features and helping to fix the bastard bugs, but in the end I just continually felt let down every time an update came out that didn't include any AI fixes.

The straw that broke the camels back for me was the addition of "Automatic Wipers and Headlights" designed and coded for people too lazy to bind them to a button and features I've never seen anyone request. The time wasted coding them in could've gone towards fixing the long standing and much warranted AI bugs...but no.

I went to the official forums, I told Marcel my thoughts and he responded in kind but alas he says there's no sign of the AI fixes coming anytime soon....its been five years already so it could well be another 5 more at this rate....and I CBA to waste my time patiently waiting anymore.
Other Sims are progressing with their AI alongside other developments simultaneously, it's a crying shame S397 simply refuse to do the same.

In the meantime I've moved away from the RF2 "scene", I've been in and around it since 2006 with RF1. Currently getting my fix with AMS2 but spending a majority of my time in a new found hobby in flight simming, which I'm thoroughly enjoying even though the developers are a naive annoying bunch with their own issues!

P.S. Oh and if you wanna have a fit about load times, try flying MSF2020...its a whole new world of long load times!
Whatever road you travel, enjoy yourself. Thank you for all the years of advice you sneaked(! sneaked??? how about snuck) out of the ISI/S397 vault.

Last edited:
Pffff, that's pretty shocking. I'm just dumbfounded. I thought your post was heartfelt, considered, as balanced as could be expected from somebody in your position. Reminds me of stories I heard about the official forums for a certain other sim - which shall remain nameless. I hope they don't make a habit of this. :(

Hopefully S397 won't be reaching out and removing this thread.

Pffff, that's pretty shocking. I'm just dumbfounded. I thought your post was heartfelt, considered, as balanced as could be expected from somebody in your position. Reminds me of stories I heard about the official forums for a certain other sim - which shall remain nameless. I hope they don't make a habit of this. :(

If S397 carry on ignoring their userbase like they have up until now, I don't think you need to worry about them deleting this thread. In fact, I'm pretty sure that they don't really give a f*ck about their userbase, they've been ignoring their suggestions and complaints ever since they took rF2 over.....how many years ago? 4, 5, 6?....

Last edited:
It was a thread on S397 forum, started by Mark G.
Linked a few posts above.... but the link is now dead.
Yeah, you can get deleted on S397s own forum really quickly, I gave up posting there ages ago. And all you ever got to hear was "we're aware of the problem, it's on our list of things to do, but we don't have a specific time line".... The 12th of never? ( Wasn't that a song from Cliff Richard? I'm sorry, I'm degressing....)

It's censorship and it's pettiness, I've read far far worse over the years from others without their posts getting deleted, yet I guess my post touched a nerve that they didn't want others to see. - i.e. the truth!

Anyway **** 'em quite frankly, if they're gonna behave like children then all the power to them, I'm happy moving on to better things.

Even if they did, why on earth would RD even feel compelled in the slightest way to comply with such an unreasonable demand ? RD doesn't need S397, do they ? This a a community site/forum, and developers need the community at least as much as the community needs the developers. It's a 2-way street, simple as that.

Now that I'm here, I might as well talk about my biggest gripes with rF2.
It takes more time to set up a race just the way I like than the actual race itself and I really don't have time for that in 2021...
And even after the move to DX11, the graphics still look like they came straight out of 2005.
It also runs worse in VR than ACC, at least to me it does.
And don't get me started on the new UI or the fact that you have to browse your Steam inventory to avoid buying the same DLC twice...

Don't get me wrong: I've got nothing against S397 and when set up right, rF2 provides a very satisfying driving experience, maybe one of the best out there in terms of physics and ffb. I'll also probably keep supporting them by buying a bit of DLC every now and then, the serious simracing offerings are scarce enough as they are after all. But I'm mostly done with rF2... I was very excited when S397 took over development from ISI but I'm left with an overwhelming feeling of disappointment after all these years. Such a shame, it could have turned into a real gem by now.

Then again, who am I to feel entitled to anything just because I invested quite a bit of money into something that didn't come to fruitition...yet :rolleyes: Life's a gamble: you win some, you lose some...

Last edited:
It's censorship and it's pettiness, I've read far far worse over the years from others without their posts getting deleted, yet I guess my post touched a nerve that they didn't want others to see. - i.e. the truth!

Anyway **** 'em quite frankly, if they're gonna behave like children then all the power to them, I'm happy moving on to better things.
I grew tired of the rf2 "direction" and attitude and gave up any future purchases from the beginning of this year. Pretty ready to ditch rf2 altogether now, especially with the latest beta version of AMS2 and the GTEs. They are brilliant. I know you're an early backer too, Marc, so do yourself a favour and give attention and effort to a developer that actually cares about offline experience. The driving feeling of the GTEs is now very close to rf2. The AI is getting there and very convincing.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies