The what pisses you off the most about rF2 thread

i've been on the new UI for months now and still can't help but think that Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles would have done a better job.
I try to give devs the benefit of the doubt and presume they are trying their best, but in this case I'm forced to agree with you.
I fired the game up yesterday and had my first encounter with the new UI, I've been involved with PC's since the dos days IMHO I believe that is the worst UI I have ever came across.
I did eventually get on the track but couldn't help thinking what must someone new to the game think of this in 2021.

I try to give devs the benefit of the doubt and presume they are trying their best, but in this case I'm forced to agree with you.
I fired the game up yesterday and had my first encounter with the new UI, I've been involved with PC's since the dos days IMHO I believe that is the worst UI I have ever came across.
I did eventually get on the track but couldn't help thinking what must someone new to the game think of this in 2021.
I'm the one who started the thread, I didn't really want to rant as such, but I did wonder who sets the priorities in the development, and why they still havn't fixed all the annoying legacy bugs after all these years.
I guess I'm just a bit sad that they havn't made rF2 the sim it deserves to be, after all this time. I mean, what have they been doing all these years? Year after year of empty promises and good intentions, but nothing really useful.
And how they could manage to screw up the UI so badly is beyond my understanding, it is, after all these years, just utter crap, it is an eyesore and an embarrassment.
And it has always pissed me off that the devs don't feel the need to communicate with their user base. I'm not counting their monthly waffle reports, which ramble on for paragraph after paragraph, and nevertheless manage to say bugger all. The person that writes that could make a good career as a politician.
And now that they've been bought out my hopes that they'll finally pull their collective fingers out and do something useful have died.
RIP rF2....

Last edited:
how they could manage to screw up the UI so badly is beyond my understanding, it is, after all these years, just utter crap, it is an eyesore and an embarrassment.
I often take forum rants with a pinch of salt but yes I was truly shocked at just how poor an effort this was.
I know you and many others have long decried the functionality of rF2's UI (both old and new) I now understand the frustration.
And now that they've been bought out my hopes that they'll finally pull their collective fingers out and do something useful have died.
RIP rF2....
On the other hand bringing a focus to something like the BTCC could play to their strengths.
Hope so.

I often take forum rants with a pinch of salt but yes I was truly shocked at just how poor an effort this was.
I know you and many others have long decried the functionality of rF2's UI (both old and new) I now understand the frustration.

On the other hand bringing a focus to something like the BTCC could play to their strengths.
Hope so.
Like the Russians say: the last thing to die is hope :)

For a rant thread there are actually some well considered posts.

I don't have the energy for Rf2 anymore to rant other than to say i've been on the new UI for months now and still can't help but think that Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles would have done a better job.

Like, of course the skin selection is in black and white, because seeing in colour is overrated... now, which car would you like? The grey one or the grey one? Awesome work...I don't run Rf2 so much nowadays.
The grey cars are ones that have not been updated by the mod makers to the latest UI standards. IT is completely up to the modders to do that work. The car under the grey tarp are placeholder icons that the modders can replace whenever they so choose. S397 can't be meddling with other people's work. Don't try and argue that point, it's been covered for about a year now. Dead Horse.
Color? there is lots of color in the car selections screens, as long as they have finished the work.
There also may be some older ISI cars that do not have color icons. S397 decided long ago not to attempt to change most of those older cars.
If the cars you use are still hidden under the placeholder tarp, contact the original modder and see if he will update his work.
1621798452631.png

Last edited:
That's not the screen that i use. The screen i use with the skins at the bottom are ALL black and white. Can't be bothered to screenshot or argue Dave, it's sunday evening and there are other things i'd rather do like trim my earhair.

That's not the screen that i use. The screen i use with the skins at the bottom are ALL black and white. Can't be bothered to screenshot or argue Dave, it's sunday evening and there are other things i'd rather do like trim my earhair.
try plucking...it's like Hide and Go Seek. You KNOW the hair is there,,,just can't tweeze it..... :)

I understand people's frustration and, yes, the new UI is a beginner effort, but give them some credit. They had to earn money to stay afloat while building this and clearly they didn't have aesthetic and UX people (or at least modern, experienced people) to design the UI so for what they did it's actually not bad.

Building a new UI, that needed all new ground up work because they couldn't migrate the old one, and manage to get the number of functionalities into the new ui that they did, that's not nothing. It's much more difficult than you might think, even ignoring the fact they had to create a whole new UI code infrastructure and integration.

Compare this to other sims that seem to progress rapidly. Why? Because they're sitting on a platform where all this is already made easy, a la Unreal Engine or Project Cars 2 (platform used by AMS2).

Have no doubt. Motorsport Games will build a platform and take that route and it'll be a modern, slick interface. But who knows, maybe they'll dumb it down to sell.

We won't know what we have until it's gone.

Here's hoping Motorsport Games has more integrity and commitment than 99% of other racing game publishers out there.

I understand people's frustration and, yes, the new UI is a beginner effort, but give them some credit. They had to earn money to stay afloat while building this and clearly they didn't have aesthetic and UX people (or at least modern, experienced people) to design the UI so for what they did it's actually not bad.

Building a new UI, that needed all new ground up work because they couldn't migrate the old one, and manage to get the number of functionalities into the new ui that they did, that's not nothing. It's much more difficult than you might think, even ignoring the fact they had to create a whole new UI code infrastructure and integration.

Compare this to other sims that seem to progress rapidly. Why? Because they're sitting on a platform where all this is already made easy, a la Unreal Engine or Project Cars 2 (platform used by AMS2).

Have no doubt. Motorsport Games will build a platform and take that route and it'll be a modern, slick interface. But who knows, maybe they'll dumb it down to sell.

We won't know what we have until it's gone.

Here's hoping Motorsport Games has more integrity and commitment than 99% of other racing game publishers out there.
I think you are responding to the wrong thread. ;)

I found your screens, they highlight in color the car you choose, but you are correct, the bottom horizontal scrolling list of cars is grey grey grey. Funny though...you choose horizontal and the majority of complaints against the UI are because of too much horizontal scrolling. One never knows.

My main complaint is how s-l-o-w it is. I would guess it takes 20 - 30 seconds to load the game on initial start up... prob at least 30 actually. Then loading a setup takes an age and is super clunky. But the worst, is deleting unwanted content/server mods. Sometimes you have to clear them out and it's just a stupid amount of time. Oh I forgot, changing track or car (or both) in SP. You still have to select All Tracks and Cars (where is this ever explained?), which takes forever.

Dave, I see your posts around and it's clear that you're a reasonable and sensible guy. I respect your opinion. But you have to admit, too many people really dislike this UI. It's not just the - arriving home to find your GF decided to rearrange the flat without telling you, so now you can't find any of your toys - feeling. It's way more than that. I can't tab out successfully any more, the name tags still don't work after we were told weeks ago that they'd be in a new build soon, the change car without leaving the server feature is gone. IMO it's really unprofessional the way they make vague promises that just never seem to be acted upon. No wonder people have had enough.

I used to really stand up for them in the early days. After the DX11 upgrade they were releasing free content and everything felt positive. Nowadays it really does feel like they pump out a bit of DLC and if they screw up on QC with it (often seems to be the case), they REALLY drag their feet with addressing any issues.

Taken in the round, it smells fishy to me. It's almost as if they are milking a cash cow - the very thing I defended them about and swore blind they'd never do such a thing. I'm really getting suspicious that their real focus is on developing another game(s) and just using rF2 and it's paying customers to keep them afloat whilst they do that. Again, it's just a wild accusation with nothing to back it up. Not really an accusation... just a feeling I get. I don't see what else is going on, it doesn't make sense. Then again, if that was the case, it doesn't seem like a clever way to develop and launch a new game - by treating your customer base like that, I mean.

Once again, all of this is just my opinion and everybody is entitled to an opion of their own. I'll be 58 this year. Conundrums like this exercise the brain. If this is still going on in 20 years time (I kid you not), it may well help save me from developing dementia. :roflmao:

I found your screens, they highlight in color the car you choose, but you are correct, the bottom horizontal scrolling list of cars is grey grey grey. Funny though...you choose horizontal and the majority of complaints against the UI are because of too much horizontal scrolling. One never knows.

I guess maybe i did choose it if it wasn't the default. As i say i haven't spent much time with it recently and haven't been bothered to look how to change it.

Doesn't change the fact that skin selection in b&w is a dumb idea.

Edit: good post Denis.

Last edited:
I guess maybe i did choose it if it wasn't the default. As i say i haven't spent much time with it recently and haven't been bothered to look how to change it.

Doesn't change the fact that skin selection in b&w is a dumb idea.

Edit: good post Denis.
grey cars is/are only in that one of 3 choices. click on the icon near the upper left of the screen. looks like several horizontal lines and..a dot or something. then you can choose between 3 different list display types. :) We both just chose whatever came up first. I don't think I had even looked at the horizontal method, not because it was wrong or anything, just the vertical one seemed ok and I left it. :)

lol ...lol :(

Untitled 1.jpg

If it is unclear, to load a mod with only the cars and tracks you want takes seconds

All Cars and Tracks you are refreshing ALL content ...why why why do this ?

Last edited:
Takes me 2 minutes to unsubscribe ALL content :roflmao:

At least attempt to learn how it is not difficult
Is this in the correct thread?
Judging by the screenie I guess it is.
I'm only subscribed to the content I want though.

All very well being all cyptic and knowledgeable. I don't know of any official handbook/guide that informs people about all the weird and wonderful work arounds that you seem to have time for. If the UI is actually fast and snappy for everybody else, and I'm just being an idiot then I hold my hand up and apologise unreservedly to S397.

No offense intended to you, but I'd be very surprised if that were the case. Each to his own I guess, no sense getting into mud slinging with other contributers to the thread. Your opinion is just as valid as mine. I think the UI is awful, no matter how many work arounds might improve it. I don't believe it works well out of the box and I think I'm entitled to think that. :)

You can unsubscribe all content as fast as you can click on each unsubscribe
30 in a row I have 6 pages
I can click unsubscribe 30 items on one page in 15 seconds times 6 pages = 90 seconds

Problem is people use each mod page to unsubscribe each item that means a page reload every click but you don't do it that way !

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back