The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Regarding the acquisition and conversion of existing models, in my opinion the problem is that modding community in general is a bit old-fashioned in terms of open-sourcing all of these awesome creations. In contrast if you post some software on GitHub you are very much encouraged to choose a license that explicitly states what can and can not be done with your creation.

I myself was not open enough when I posted some of my mods in the past. Even if I included text such as " If you wish to convert this model to another game, you must contact me for permission, ... you most likely will get the permission. " that was not really open source. I know that that particular model was converted, "ripped" without my permission a couple of times, but really, I am happy that more people can use it. I would never get payed for it anyway.

So if a user made mod is explicitly open-sourced and even comes with source files for Blender/3DsMax, GIMP, etc. then you would have an easy solution where to get the models. And humanity would make a bit less of duplicates of a McLaren F1 game models.

And if someone makes money selling a game with my content in it, well at least I will get to enjoy the game with my content in it :) An alternative would be - my favorite car is not included at all or the game has less content as developers wasted time to re-create the same thing again.

I myself was not open enough when I posted some of my mods in the past. Even if I included text such as " If you wish to convert this model to another game, you must contact me for permission, ... you most likely will get the permission. " that was not really open source. I know that that particular model was converted, "ripped" without my permission a couple of times, but really, I am happy that more people can use it. I would never get payed for it anyway.
For me, when people are already ignoring that type of disclaimer, it's a bit pointless to care which type of license it technically has. Those software licenses only come into play when it's between two companies anyway, everyone else just cobbles together whatever code they can find.

The idea of games sharing assets might be nice in theory, in practice it's rare for the engines to be similar enough to have any hope of an easy quality product. For example AC and RF2 handle interior materials so differently that not only will the textures not be reusable, the UV maps have to change. Material settings naturally have zero transfer. The shaders just have different capabilities.

I've never been onboard with the idea that sharing a Blender/GIMP file will meaningfully make a conversion easier. Most of the stuff that's different between the AC kn5 and the Blend file is shortcuts to help my personal workflow. GIMP is even worse, the shortcuts are not stored in the xcf file at all. From xcf to a body dds file is over a dozen user interactions. (ctrl+a, ctrl+shift+c, ctrl+shift+v, alt+l, m, y, b, a, <return>, click other window, unhide layer, ctrl+c, click other window, ctrl+v, ctrl+h, ctrl+shift+e, click filename, enter. go to folder, run dds conversion script)

I suppose the one thing that does transfer over is physics to a large degree. Objective facts are objective facts no matter what engine it runs on. You just need to do some legwork for every engine's own way of input and quirks, but the facts of the car don't change.

Even with this being true, people already inside the same sim insist on making their own because they don't trust that mine is good/don't care to use the good one, so maybe it's a stretch to say other sims will care or be aware of physics inside another sim. :roflmao:

Historically most the mods for cars in other sims have not been very good, even the best stuff in rFactor was kinda thrown together in terms of data so I kind of understand, but I suppose AC is different.

For me, when people are already ignoring that type of disclaimer, it's a bit pointless to care which type of license it technically has. Those software licenses only come into play when it's between two companies anyway, everyone else just cobbles together whatever code they can find.

The idea of games sharing assets might be nice in theory, in practice it's rare for the engines to be similar enough to have any hope of an easy quality product. For example AC and RF2 handle interior materials so differently that not only will the textures not be reusable, the UV maps have to change. Material settings naturally have zero transfer. The shaders just have different capabilities.

I've never been onboard with the idea that sharing a Blender/GIMP file will meaningfully make a conversion easier. Most of the stuff that's different between the AC kn5 and the Blend file is shortcuts to help my personal workflow. GIMP is even worse, the shortcuts are not stored in the xcf file at all. From xcf to a body dds file is over a dozen user interactions. (ctrl+a, ctrl+shift+c, ctrl+shift+v, alt+l, m, y, b, a, <return>, click other window, unhide layer, ctrl+c, click other window, ctrl+v, ctrl+h, ctrl+shift+e, click filename, enter. go to folder, run dds conversion script)
I have official content in AC and RF2 in both cases the UV mapping I wasn’t asked for anything specific and both games I used the same techniques not sure what difference the UV would make 1 game to the next.

I have official content in AC and RF2 in both cases the UV mapping I wasn’t asked for anything specific and both games I used the same techniques not sure what difference the UV would make 1 game to the next.
In terms of efficiency of texture usage, maybe, if two games require a different material approach. UV can stay the same, but splitting to more materials will mean either the texture is used twice or the texture is not fully used.
Or in case of a flag on a track, where the amount of movement is defined by the U coordinate in AC and maybe not for rF.

In terms of efficiency of texture usage, maybe, if two games require a different material approach. UV can stay the same, but splitting to more materials will mean either the texture is used twice or the texture is not fully used.
Or in case of a flag on a track, where the amount of movement is defined by the U coordinate in AC and maybe not for rF.
RF2 uses more UV channels than Material slots but yes the odd things will require a slightly different approach

Some cars (like the Kunos cars and the ones from AC Cars Reworked) have plates that you can customize in CM Showroom and some don't (like A3DR's and many others). What makes a car's plates customizable? I thought it was just the material and texture names, but some cars with noncustomizable plates have the same names as customizeable ones.

Hello RD Community!

*ASKING FOR EXPERIENCE*

Let me explain my situation
Im working in a car design studio based in Munich as an Exterior designer. We're planning to do a company summer celebration inviting clients and potential customers. We want to show two of our internal showcars in Virtual Reality (already done) as well as make them drivable in AC.

The Design Geometry I'm unfortunately unable to publicly post but we are under quite some time preassure (first week of September).

Since im the only one in our Company having somewhat of an experience in AC I got the job to make the cars drivable. And it turns out to be a lot more complex than expected.

I have done a few basic tutorials but keep running into very time consuming issues already. So I thought getting an expert in who can work more efficiently will help us out.

Im quite experienced in 3d Modelling, recently working with blender but new to modding, so I assume there wouldbe a lot more future issues coming up during this process for me.
The Car geometry Is created in Autodesk Alias but will be ported to Blender (or any wanted software/format) for modding.

Starting point: 3d model, vision from our team
Requested Result: 1-3 Drivable models ( depending on how long it takes) with electric car sounds (similar to formula Lithium mod) and custom physics, ready to race.

So if anybody around here is very experienced and wants to earn some extra Bucks, hit me up va PM and be ready for some intense discord/skype working sessions!

looking forward and thanks in advance!

Best wishes,
Max

__custom_showroom_1597682535.png

After a whole lot of work learning the program, and trying things out in Race Track Builder. I am working on a open roads track set in Lake Tahoe. Still learning but its progressed really far in 2 days.

Open road courses are always a great idea :) Asetto Corsa is blessed with a lot of excellent roads, but there is nothing like your personal favorite road or favorite car. Great progress so far!

So the area that is modeled is based off real roads around Emerald Bay in Lake Tahoe, California.
I have actually never been there in person but I am using google earth and maps to accurately scout the area.

google earth 11small.jpg

To complete the around 12 Km circuit, I connected the two ends of the bay with a fantasy connector road using a bridge based off a real bridge elsewhere.

I modeled the bridge in Sketchup,
icon.jpg

I have successfully imported the model into AC, but I am still working on the texture. I am not used to working with DDS textures and that is a new process for me.
Screenshot_ks_mercedes_190_evo2_tahoe_23-7-120-16-49-24.jpg
Screenshot_ks_mercedes_190_evo2_tahoe_23-7-120-16-51-57.jpg

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes