The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

New project, new Blender... finally going over to 2.80 series, I'd been avoiding it cause I knew I'd have to google every 2nd keypress and it would really slow down actually completing anything.
0wOmiNX.jpg

Unsurprisingly there are no blueprints or measurements or anything for a 1967 one-of-~three group 7 prototype. So I'm starting off with a bezier cage to get some photomatches happening. I do have better reference info for a McLaren M1B so I'm going off that where necessary (eg. the tire size, 6x15 and 7x15 funnily enough the same as the Lotus 25, and 2.31m wheelbase)

OH MY GOD YOU'RE MAKING A CHINOOK!!!! :inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:

You are my favourite person.

0.0.0.0.1 pre-pre-pre-pre alpha and not even the earliest video what could be shared! Go figure out what it is.
I always said no when asked but then somebody said something, somebody gave permission for something, the moon and the sun was in the right position and I realised I have fairly solid plan to get things done.

More lines, photomatched from 4 angles, I think it's time to start building a mesh. Thinking about starting with wheels & tires so I can get rid of those cylinders.
75nF596.jpg

The black box is the outer dimensions of an M1B, doesn't surprise me that this would have a longer nose.
41AkwgY.jpg

SO excited for this thing.

Need some liveries done up for it?

SO excited for this thing.

Need some liveries done up for it?
Maybe in a couple years.

Since people are being helpful, can anyone identify the top centre wheel on this page labeled 10A? https://vintageeng.com/products/magnesium-wheels/eagle-lola-mclaren-wheels/ McLarens also ran it (as in header image). A picture of the backside of the spokes would be very helpful cause I can tell from some photos that they have a through-hole but I can't find a name or company.

Maybe in a couple years.

Since people are being helpful, can anyone identify the top centre wheel on this page labeled 10A? https://vintageeng.com/products/magnesium-wheels/eagle-lola-mclaren-wheels/ McLarens also ran it (as in header image). A picture of the backside of the spokes would be very helpful cause I can tell from some photos that they have a through-hole but I can't find a name or company.

Couple years? Maybe by then I'll finish the historic circuit I've got planned :D

CSP makes this light look more complete than it is... top half of the interior's still not even modeled but the RefractiveFX just treats that as 'maximum distance and reflective' I guess.
kmKNWvI.jpg

ztzYcJY.jpg

WOW! that's very cool, I've tried tweaking on Reflections FX but for some reason, the headlight and the taillights were blocking the lights after when I used the FX, I couldn't achieve it like this.
everything was supposed to be transparent but it wasn't
here's how it looks from the taillights
ifmGzgh.jpg

MyumvtV.jpg

IDK why it's blocking the lights, the lights won't come out
and the front headlights was the same

2NVi78M.png

9mK1DtJ.png

IDK what is causing this issue........

You need to include the name of every object you want to get drawn in the refractive lights, that's all I know about it. And only one emissive per refractive section will work correctly, other ones will just light up the same 'bulb'

McLaren-Elva magnesium wheels ... pretty well sorted.
9SGuBLh.jpg

Maybe not the most appropriate mannequin but oh well.
N83UYvT.jpg

Last edited:
pU26U2D.jpg

NU2iOzh.jpg

Used the handy wireframe to do the body at low poly also quickly. Still some geometry I'd like to sort out around this level of detail before I really start subdividing.

I was a bit surprised it's so much smaller than the T70 MkII but I checked the wheels (best option I have for scaling to photos) and they're 15" as expected.

I wouldn't take that T70 model as gospel without checking it. I'm not sure how accurate it is, with no disrespect meant to Crossply.
I don't doubt the difference, I was just surprised there's ~6 inches more track width on the Lola. I suppose it has a competitive advantage in a class with minimal limits on horsepower.

5LSx8DY.jpg

Got holes for the tires, exhausts, lights, (probably) trans cooler, and one extra hole just because. Of course the bottom 1/3rd of the rear end is just exposed differential/suspension so that'll change the look when it's installed, same for the spoiler adding 3-4" of height.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 32 16.6%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Thursday

Votes: 27 14.0%
  • Friday

Votes: 69 35.8%
  • Saturday

Votes: 108 56.0%