The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

wsVTv0X.jpg

Only 3 more non-flexible things in/around the engine so I decided to make the cover. Todo list is actually getting kinda short for "exterior" stuff, move to "interior" soon. Looks like I need to re-bake the underbody shadow now that more of the engine's in place...

Misc improvements to nose smoothness, the usual thing - go back to a mesh and you can always make it smoother by moving vertices a few mm.

I also spent a couple days progressing the tires forward from v4 to v7 and then v10. They're still too cold but they are a fair amount smaller than anything made by Kunos except the Abarth 595's, and even those run under heavier loads (the FF's front tires have about 100kg each, rears 140kg) so I don't have a lot to work from.

I was having issues with collision walls in that they'd grab hold of cars when a collision occured. So I made them 2D walls instead of an encompassing 3D wall like they were, and the wall-car interaction is better now.I think this is how things are progressing, at least as far as I can/will go with this track:
crvOXTn.png

Road shape - 90% (if I can figure out how to texture, this might get a facelift)
Terrain - 75% (the shape near the road and what will be visible is okay...maybe a bit more tweaking)
TSO's - 10% (virtually nothing done here except one wall)

I get from 25-40 FPS on this track with 7-9 other cars, so I expect it will run great on anyone else's PC.

Not sure what you mean with 2D vs 3D walls but IIRC you're definitely supposed to make the collision meshes for walls covering smaller areas and in as simple shapes as possible in order to avoid slow-downs when collisions occur. I suppose that also eliminates any weird physics behaviour with more complex objects.

Last edited:
Walls cannot be a two sided single plane object. You can use a box as a wall but you need some distance between both sides. If they are too close you get sticky walls.

To the previous 2 posters, they were box walls (3d) and are now planes (2d). The 3d walls which were 6 sides encompassing the 3d shaped walls on my track. The cars got stuck in the simpler boxes, but now scrape nicely along the 2d planes...all is good.

edit: I'm guessing here, but I think the KS engine doesn't like the fact that 2 boxes were joined, meaning there are 2 touching planes where every wall section was. So I'm just professing my previous bad track making procedure.

To the previous 2 posters, they were box walls (3d) and are now planes (2d). The 3d walls which were 6 sides encompassing the 3d shaped walls on my track. The cars got stuck in the simpler boxes, but now scrape nicely along the 2d planes...all is good.

edit: I'm guessing here, but I think the KS engine doesn't like the fact that 2 boxes were joined, meaning there are 2 touching planes where every wall section was. So I'm just professing my previous bad track making procedure.
Yes that would cause the sticky issue. The basic rule is you never want to get anywhere near the backside of a normal/face on any wall object.

Reactions: Two
Next car has come quite a long way now, but there are still some things I need to work on. Mainly reflection mapping and some of the emergency indicators (arrows). Most likely tomorrow, than it´s on to the bigFM #36 car.

Would love to have a smaller windshield banner (allready under discussion @AC forum) and the ability to close the fog light openings in the front.

preview.jpg

Car #99 will recieve an update soon with some aliasing fixes.

Not the most exciting update

Mostly just modelling various smaller details and unwrapping - those cables took forever to unwrap, probably an easy way that I don't know of... Got the pedal assembly done, air vents plus piping, finally settled on a hinging mechanism for the glass - really a boring looking hinge, but I couldn't get any more interesting animations to work. Better than the floating glass I had before.

Interior is starting to become a more interesting place to be now. Still some more to do, seatbelts, properly model/texture steering wheel buttons - but really the list of things i need to have done before release is getting a lot shorter... :)

20170114224935_1.jpg

20170114224945_1.jpg

20170114224925_1.jpg

I unwrap cables to a generic texture with some shading gradient on it while modeling them, then as I conform them to the surface I twist so the shade is near the surface it's on. I suppose it depends on the material but generally they're thin and dark enough you don't notice much better.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.