The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Shoutout to Gary for showing the spline + photomatch way of creating a car.
Made a spline model based on blueprints, and just now matched some pictures to it. Some parts are still obviously wrong, like the front, but overall it's pretty decent already. And since it's my first attempt at camera matching it could probably be better. I'm getting error values around 2.5 where under 1.5 is recommended.
ojSapLM.png
just like the license plate says: "YAY" !!
you beat me to it :D
i had prepared the folders at home with all the references for some time now aha
neat work on the splines! Like gary says, it's heaven to work with, saves a LOT of time when placing the polygons. Looking forward to this one

Is this even remotely the right way to do these windows? I'm still looking at other wireframes to get an idea. I can scrap the whole thing if need be: whole damn car if need be. Although I think the fender area is alright.

An idea I had would be to make the underlying metal flat and thin, and model all those other metal parts around the side windows separately. The front window seals I will model separately for sure. The main issue is making it work with the bonnet and sides.

Frontend_230119_wire1.JPG

Side_230119_wire1.JPG

20190123211443_1.jpg

img_0149_1.jpg

4167410001_large.jpg

Its pending a RaceDepartment Investigation™ if it gets uploaded :roflmao:

(Rims, if anyone was wondering. They look awfully similar to the Alfa GTA ones.)
To me it looks like the very front end and the rest of the car don't fit in, so I'd not be surprised if there's some Alfa mesh in it. The flow is clearly cut-off and the edge quality varies for a model that's worked so far...

For all I know it's temporary. It'd be nice if he'd remodel everything from the ground up himself to replace whatever's, uhh, "inspired" by other works. Wink wink nudge nudge.

Revised the window area and the rear quarter. The windows right now are not supposed to include the metal liners, but instead what I imagine the metal's shape to be underneath. It appears like the metal somewhat follows the shape. I need to model the liners separately anyway for the material, so might as well do it right. Need to find more reference though. The shape's not quite as clear-cut as it appears from the side...

240119_1906_wire.JPG

240119_1906_side.JPG

I'd really be splitting via smoothing groups (or whatever is the Blender equivalent) to get hard edges where needed to avoid excessive loops. Think CC posted about that earlier, will really help imo.

I'd really be splitting via smoothing groups (or whatever is the Blender equivalent) to get hard edges where needed to avoid excessive loops. Think CC posted about that earlier, will really help imo.
I haven't yet even applied the subdivision, just modeling with subdiv on but not applied. Maybe I'll take a look at smoothing groups later.

The advice to use smoothing groups right now feels to me like advising a beginner painter doing an under-sketch to limit their color palette and main values so the piece reads better, despite not yet being at the actual painting stage. I'm more concerned about the structure and organization of the model than the technique.

On blender you set edge sharpness with the crease tool (shift+e) on a per-edge basis if you want it to apply to subdivisions, or set sharp edges (ctrl+e, 9)

Anyway the point is you don't add the extra edge loops until after the subdivision modifier is applied, they make your model worse

It changes how far subsurface moves the edges from their original positions on the mesh.
gfwnfXt.jpg

At 0 (default) a square turns into a circle, at 1 (maximum) it stays essentially a square, in between it's just less round.

You can use smoothing groups on the low poly to help keep your high poly organised.

Quick mock up, low poly shape, with smoothing groups applied:
upload_2019-1-24_17-44-5.png

And after subdivision respecting smoothing groups:
upload_2019-1-24_17-44-16.png

Then same model, just manually 'cleaned up' (obviously on such a simple example there is much needed), and manually added a chamfer to the shoulder line:
upload_2019-1-24_17-44-31.png

To get the same(ish) sharp edges without smoothing groups, you end up with a lot of loops that take time to clean up later, which is more what i'm seeing on yours right now:
upload_2019-1-24_17-44-45.png

Lots of different ways to go about it, but thats how I would do it.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.