The Latest Automobilista 2 Beta Update Is Here

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have deployed a new build of Automobilista 2 - and it comes with some significant reworking of the current simulation force feedback properties..

Yes, a new and fresh beta update has been deployed to the public version of Automobilista 2.. available to download the next time you restart your Steam client.

Given the designation of V0.8.4.0, the latest update to the sim introduces a welcome range of improvements and enhancements, not least of which is improvements to the brake behaviour and feel within the title - something that has proven to be a hot button subject within the community since the game released.

Also seeing further attention from Reiza developers is the force feedback within the sim, with a 'new default' profile having been added to take advantage of the changes in how ffb is represented within this latest and future builds. You can read more details about these changes in the update notes at the end of this article.

In terms of content, the new inclusions as part of V0.8.4.0 are three kart layouts for the Brazilian Interlagos venue, although physics, AI and artwork for a number of vehicles have been revised.

Update 0.8.4.0 Release Notes:

BRAKES
for all cars, including optimum temp ranges, wear, fade & failure properties have all been thoroughly revised according to the brake materials and specs of each car. These will address the brake failure issues from v0.8.3.2 and should hopefully provide more realistic wear and more "feel" on some cars.

CUSTOM DATE option has been temporarily removed from session options, now sessions will always run on default date for that track - with that we have also addressed the bug that would cause a new track selection to retain the default date of the previous track, which could be particularly problematic when for example the user switched from a Brazilian track with a December Summer default date to an European track, leading the latter to load with winter weather and temperatures with fairly big impact on physics that the user wouldn´t have an obvious visual cue for. Next step will be to add a custom season option along with seasonal foliage (which besided the added visual variety will provide the visual cue for different temperatures). Option to customize date may be added at a later stage once we have more systems feeding correctly from such a specific setting.

FORCE FEEDBACK: we have included an additional "NEW DEFAULT" profile featuring several Force Feedback developments, as an option to the "OLD DEFAULT" profile in the FFB UI - those with existing game settings will remain with "OLD" until they opt to switch to "NEW" . As the Gain, Low Force Boost and FX sliders work quite differently in the "NEW" profile, we want to give people the chance to opt into the new once they have understood how the Sliders may need to be adjusted.

Main differences with "NEW DEFAULT" relate to the Low force Boost slider. and how it interacts with the Gain slider.

In AMS2 "OLD DEFAULT" profile, Gain slider was a confusing device as overall output FFB path was setup badly, with Low Force Boost applied after Gain slider - this was problematic as essentially then you have as many combinations of what happens with signal as there are settings on Gain slider, leading to big inconsistencies (this explains some of the difficulties users had finding a good all-around FFB setting that worked well with all cars, specially on more powerful wheels).

With the "NEW DEFAULT" profile, Low Force Boost is applied before Gain slider, leading to more consistent behavior - it is now factored in the same order as AMS1.

Sample of differences in LFB curve with OLD vs NEW profile:

Reiza Update Image 1.png
Reiza Update Image 2.png

In the next build we will be adding further functions, including an updated tyre scrub formula & a minimum force configuration. Future builds will see a custom FFB multiplier per car so that users can fine tune each car to their preference. Once these and some other minor adjustments are completed, we believe AMS2 FFB will be ready for v1.0 release and by then "old" default profile will have been completely phased out.

CONTENT
  • Added Interlagos Kart track (3 layouts)
GENERAL
  • Disabled custom event date setting
  • Fixed bug that would cause a new track selection to retain the default date of the previous track
  • Fixed multiplayer client rebroadcasting (could cause clients to be dropped from server)
UI & HUD
  • Added pedal input & engine power/torque data to telemetry screen
  • Fixed reported issues with VR / Triple HUD customization (needs validation, will reset any previous edit in those types of display)
  • Reenabled HUD selection for Options screen in-session
FORCE FEEDBACK

Added "New Default" FFB profile, with the following changes vs "old Default:
  • "Remapped" Gain slider
  • Improved Low Force Boost formula
  • A more detailed calculation of steering linkage ratios and how they influence force transferred over to the rack;
  • Overall small change in FFB output;
  • More accurate self-aligning torque and factors in residual Mz, camber inclination Mz; steer gyro Mz;

PHYSICS & AI
  • Updated brake disc thickness, optimum temps, wear, failure, fade properties with variations depending on brake material, fixing brake failure issues from previous build & improving brake feel on some cars
  • Minor adjustments to F-Classic tyre tread (all gens)
  • Adjusted AI tyre rolling resistance in F-V12, F-3, Roco
  • Minor AI performance update for Brands Hatch, Campo Grande, Donington, Guapore, Montreal, Oulton Park, Snetterton, Velocittá
VEHICLES
  • Puma P052: Updated missing LOD levels, cockpit display, rim blur, windscreen
  • Copa Truck: Added new parameter for Trucks to spawn in their pit slot rather then inside the garage, fixing bug in tracks where they wouldn´t fit the garage
  • Adjusted MRX & Roco collision mesh
  • Opala OldStock: Fixed bodywork mapping distortion
  • Gol Copa Classic: Added missing LOD levels
  • F-V12 : Updated #22 #23 community skin
  • Copa Uno: Completed livery updates for all cars in the series

Original Source: Reiza Studios.

Automobilista 2 is available on Steam Early Access now.

If you need help and support getting the most from AMS2, start a thread in our AMS2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let our great community help you out.

AMS 2 Update 1.jpg

AMS 2 Header.jpg

I see people adding Angry icons when I said the above the other day but it is not me being critical but trying to understand what's going on. It is a legit question as I'm a £100 backer and big fan of Reiza and I'm unable to rave about the latest update. The previous update I was really pleased with the FFB but now it feels (to me) like I'm back to playing PCARS 2. I asked a question as to what I could be doing wrong so please don't display your anger at my comment but please try to add a solution to my issue, as other people are raving about the new update and I'm sitting here thinking it's a 10 fold backwards step. So, obviously I'm not experiencing what some of you are which is why I asked "Am I doing something wrong?". [/vent mode].
it's hard for someone to help when you give no info about what type of wheel/settings you are using...someone with the same wheel who is satisfied with the new FFB could possibly assist you, but you need to meet them half-way...also, here is a post by Renato explaining some of the fine points of the new FFB : https://forum.reizastudios.com/threads/automobilista-2-v0-8-4-0-released.10431/

also you still have the option to use the old default for the time being while you attempt to sort it out

it's hard for someone to help when you give no info about what type of wheel/settings you are using...someone with the same wheel who is satisfied with the new FFB could possibly assist you, but you need to meet them half-way...also, here is a post by Renato explaining some of the fine points of the new FFB : https://forum.reizastudios.com/threads/automobilista-2-v0-8-4-0-released.10431/

also you still have the option to use the old default for the time being while you attempt to sort it out
Thank you for some pointers Billy and apologies for my rant. I just get fed up of people just flaming here because all is 'amazing' on their side. If you post anything derogatory or opinionated against their opinion/experience then you are obviously wrong.

Anyway, I will try your advice and go back to the old default but I'm concerned that this will be removed in future. I'm on a T300 RS wheel by the way, not expensive but adequate nontheless.

Chill out mate. Just one individual gave your post an "angry" reaction, hardly justification for your "vent" post. This is the internet. People are people. Let it go.

If people aren't responding to your query specifically then it's probably because we don't know what the issue is. The FFB feels fine to me, a marked improvement on the previous iteration, so I have no idea why it would feel so much worse for you. Try going back to basics, see if it helps:

- Temporarily disable Steam Cloud and delete the entire My Documents/Automobilista 2 folder, so that you get a fresh start with default values.
- Reset your wheel to default settings in it's own CP.
- Take the time to experiment with the in-game FFB sliders because the values required by the new FFB will not be the same as for the old.
- Try a bunch of different cars, as the FFB is not currently consistent across all content.
Goffik,

Many thanks for the advice. I will try your suggestions for sure.

A total crap day at work today so was immediately sparked with people have a negative issue with what I thought was a fair comment. Apologies to all for my rant.

Last edited:
Thank you for some pointers Billy and apologies for my rant. I just get fed up of people just flaming here because all is 'amazing' on their side. If you post anything derogatory or opinionated against their opinion/experience then you are obviously wrong.

Anyway, I will try your advice and go back to the old default but I'm concerned that this will be removed in future. I'm on a T300 RS wheel by the way, not expensive but adequate nontheless.
Weirdly, i hated the old ffb in my t300 compared to the new ffb. I find the new ffb to be much more responsive and i can feel the front end a fair bit more. I'm using 75/15/15 for now, but need to play around a bit more with the settings (thats with gain at 98 in the TM conrtol)

Thats exactly what I feel. The driving experience is different depending on the car/track combo. On some tracks I get unexpected loss of traction, as if they had an invisible variation of asphalt compounds. I guess the track surfaces just have alot of physics involved and they need some work to interact properly with the tyre model. Say for example Interlagos Karting track, there are at least two areas where you are driving straight and you get heavily pushed to the side for no reason, but some tracks like for example "Monaco" or "suzuka feel just perfect.

I have uploaded the video on comparison between new FFB settings and old FFB settings.
I am using Fanatec CSL Elite.
Will provide more informative videos so make sure to subscribe my channel.
Your subscription means a lot to me.
My setting on Fanatec CSL Elite
FF 85
DRL Off
FEI 50
For 100
Spr 120
Dpr100
ABS 35
Sho 80

Personal update:

few days ago I wrote here my opinion about FFB. I was claiming I wasn't feeling the locking wheels and this kind of effect, and also a lot of Spike and noises over the wheel.

So. I reinstalled and reset all configs and the FFB and wheel behavior has changed from the water to wine.

I just restarted my tests now.
Thx for everyone who try to help me.

Automobilista 2 v.0.9.1.0 RELEASED!

The Kyalami Grand Prix Circuit is now available in Automobilista 2! Also featuring in this update is the Sigma P1, which despite the name actually raced in P2 class for most of 2019, thanks to a somewhat overweight drivetrain. That´s the P2 car in the game now - the 2020 car promises to be a big step forward to bring the fight to the AJRs in P1 class, and once it gets to race it will have a version in AMS2 as well!

With these additions we are now up to 40 unique racing classes, 40 venues for over 70 layouts! Check out the full updated car & track llist here[forum.reizastudios.com].

The new update rectifies some netcode issues that have made close racing difficult in Multiplayer mode up to now - all good for quality online action now!

The new buil also brings a round of AI performance callibration in this build to balance performance vs player following recent modifications, as a result you may find necessary to adjust AI Strength from what you were running before in certain series in order to get the same performance from the AI )the goal being for less adjustments needed from series to series).

IMPORTANT! This is the last weekend to buy Automobilista 2 with the current 40% discount over its v1.0 price - as we have crossed the halfway point in our Early Access roadmap, by Monday pricing will be adjusted accordingly to be 20% off its v1.0 full price, remaining that way until its official release.

V0.9.0.1 CHANGELOG:

CONTENT
  • Added Kyalami Grand Prix Circuit
  • Added Sigma P1 to P2 Class
  • Added Passat to Copa Classic FL Class

GENERAL
  • Update App Key used in Live Motion SDK

NETCODE
  • Reduced Fade Accel parameter to minimise chances of "ghost" car-to-car collisions in a Multiplayer Session

UI & HUD
  • Fixed back button on TimeTrial screen
  • Amended all brake bias labels to include F / R qualifier and all values to include front and rear.
  • Fixed telemetry HUD screen anchors (affects ultrawide positioning)
  • Fixed in-game menu anchors on various pages (audio, camera, controls & gameplay options screens, save/load setup, quick/full setup edit screens, VR)
  • Added Track Altitude information to loading screen
  • Added current time of day to Session Overview / Pause screens
  • Added Imola 1972 & Modern trackmaps
  • Added Stock Car Driver names
  • Updated missing tire names for Caterhams, F-Ultimate, Copa Classics
  • Added chat box to lobby page, multiplayer & pre-event screens
  • Fixed bug with incorrect engine torque statistic in vehicle selection & loading screen due to reversed metric / empiric system conversion
  • Adjusted naming for various Metalmoro MRX models
  • Fixed track country label on lobby page
  • Added exit confirmation to pre-event screen
  • Coodown lap now defaults to manual player control

PHYSICS
  • Standardized ranges, adjusted drag & lift increments per setting for cars with adjustable radiator & brake ducts
  • Adjusted brake heating for all prototypes & GT cars
  • Minor adjustments to Ultima Race, StockV8, F-Vintage tyre treads
  • Reduced roll inertia for StockV8, SuperV8, Ultima Race, Ultima
  • Slightly reduced grip off the ideal racing line
  • Reduced Metalmoro AJR diffuser efficiency
  • Adjusted StockV8 diffuser center of pressure slightly rearwards
  • Adjusted Roco, MRX, ARC Camaro engine torque curves
  • Moved default brake bias rearwards for Sprint Race, StockV8, Ultima Race

AI
  • Slightly increased AI awareness of human players
  • AI performance tuning for GT3, StockV8, P1, P2, P3, P4, Ultima Race, Sprint Race, F3, F-Vintage classes

TRACKS
  • Spielberg: fixed hole in garage floor; replaced incorrect pit building walls & pit doors; remapped garage and pit stall locations; removed excess grid assignments (32 cars supported); rebuilt triggers.
  • Brands Hatch. Fixed bug with cars appearing to float over the track; adjusted rolling start location; revised track limits; fixed garage door collision

VEHICLES
  • AJR: Adjusted Driver Animation; Added Imperio #175 & Mottin Racing 46 liveries
  • MRX: Corrected RPM LEDs for all variants
  • Ultima Race: Adjusted collision mesh
  • Puma P052: New liveries/updates/redesign for #01 #02 #04 #06 #07 #08 #10 #11 #12 #13 #19 #42 #53 #54 #69; Added community skins #17 #91

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back