The Latest Automobilista 2 Beta Update Is Here

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have deployed a new build of Automobilista 2 - and it comes with some significant reworking of the current simulation force feedback properties..

Yes, a new and fresh beta update has been deployed to the public version of Automobilista 2.. available to download the next time you restart your Steam client.

Given the designation of V0.8.4.0, the latest update to the sim introduces a welcome range of improvements and enhancements, not least of which is improvements to the brake behaviour and feel within the title - something that has proven to be a hot button subject within the community since the game released.

Also seeing further attention from Reiza developers is the force feedback within the sim, with a 'new default' profile having been added to take advantage of the changes in how ffb is represented within this latest and future builds. You can read more details about these changes in the update notes at the end of this article.

In terms of content, the new inclusions as part of V0.8.4.0 are three kart layouts for the Brazilian Interlagos venue, although physics, AI and artwork for a number of vehicles have been revised.

Update 0.8.4.0 Release Notes:

BRAKES
for all cars, including optimum temp ranges, wear, fade & failure properties have all been thoroughly revised according to the brake materials and specs of each car. These will address the brake failure issues from v0.8.3.2 and should hopefully provide more realistic wear and more "feel" on some cars.

CUSTOM DATE option has been temporarily removed from session options, now sessions will always run on default date for that track - with that we have also addressed the bug that would cause a new track selection to retain the default date of the previous track, which could be particularly problematic when for example the user switched from a Brazilian track with a December Summer default date to an European track, leading the latter to load with winter weather and temperatures with fairly big impact on physics that the user wouldn´t have an obvious visual cue for. Next step will be to add a custom season option along with seasonal foliage (which besided the added visual variety will provide the visual cue for different temperatures). Option to customize date may be added at a later stage once we have more systems feeding correctly from such a specific setting.

FORCE FEEDBACK: we have included an additional "NEW DEFAULT" profile featuring several Force Feedback developments, as an option to the "OLD DEFAULT" profile in the FFB UI - those with existing game settings will remain with "OLD" until they opt to switch to "NEW" . As the Gain, Low Force Boost and FX sliders work quite differently in the "NEW" profile, we want to give people the chance to opt into the new once they have understood how the Sliders may need to be adjusted.

Main differences with "NEW DEFAULT" relate to the Low force Boost slider. and how it interacts with the Gain slider.

In AMS2 "OLD DEFAULT" profile, Gain slider was a confusing device as overall output FFB path was setup badly, with Low Force Boost applied after Gain slider - this was problematic as essentially then you have as many combinations of what happens with signal as there are settings on Gain slider, leading to big inconsistencies (this explains some of the difficulties users had finding a good all-around FFB setting that worked well with all cars, specially on more powerful wheels).

With the "NEW DEFAULT" profile, Low Force Boost is applied before Gain slider, leading to more consistent behavior - it is now factored in the same order as AMS1.

Sample of differences in LFB curve with OLD vs NEW profile:

Reiza Update Image 1.png
Reiza Update Image 2.png

In the next build we will be adding further functions, including an updated tyre scrub formula & a minimum force configuration. Future builds will see a custom FFB multiplier per car so that users can fine tune each car to their preference. Once these and some other minor adjustments are completed, we believe AMS2 FFB will be ready for v1.0 release and by then "old" default profile will have been completely phased out.

CONTENT
  • Added Interlagos Kart track (3 layouts)
GENERAL
  • Disabled custom event date setting
  • Fixed bug that would cause a new track selection to retain the default date of the previous track
  • Fixed multiplayer client rebroadcasting (could cause clients to be dropped from server)
UI & HUD
  • Added pedal input & engine power/torque data to telemetry screen
  • Fixed reported issues with VR / Triple HUD customization (needs validation, will reset any previous edit in those types of display)
  • Reenabled HUD selection for Options screen in-session
FORCE FEEDBACK

Added "New Default" FFB profile, with the following changes vs "old Default:
  • "Remapped" Gain slider
  • Improved Low Force Boost formula
  • A more detailed calculation of steering linkage ratios and how they influence force transferred over to the rack;
  • Overall small change in FFB output;
  • More accurate self-aligning torque and factors in residual Mz, camber inclination Mz; steer gyro Mz;

PHYSICS & AI
  • Updated brake disc thickness, optimum temps, wear, failure, fade properties with variations depending on brake material, fixing brake failure issues from previous build & improving brake feel on some cars
  • Minor adjustments to F-Classic tyre tread (all gens)
  • Adjusted AI tyre rolling resistance in F-V12, F-3, Roco
  • Minor AI performance update for Brands Hatch, Campo Grande, Donington, Guapore, Montreal, Oulton Park, Snetterton, Velocittá
VEHICLES
  • Puma P052: Updated missing LOD levels, cockpit display, rim blur, windscreen
  • Copa Truck: Added new parameter for Trucks to spawn in their pit slot rather then inside the garage, fixing bug in tracks where they wouldn´t fit the garage
  • Adjusted MRX & Roco collision mesh
  • Opala OldStock: Fixed bodywork mapping distortion
  • Gol Copa Classic: Added missing LOD levels
  • F-V12 : Updated #22 #23 community skin
  • Copa Uno: Completed livery updates for all cars in the series

Original Source: Reiza Studios.

Automobilista 2 is available on Steam Early Access now.

If you need help and support getting the most from AMS2, start a thread in our AMS2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let our great community help you out.

AMS 2 Update 1.jpg

AMS 2 Header.jpg

...the car doesn't want to come around as easily under throttle and it turns in better off throttle.

It’s interesting that you mention this. I’ve had this “gut feeling” that the differential in AMS2 either behaves differently overall than what many of us are used to in AMS1 or that maybe the diff settings in the default setups are providing a noticeably different feeling. Again, that’s nothing more than an impression on my part. I haven’t done any methodical testing of diff values within AMS2 yet let alone A/B testing against AMS1. Personally, I'm holding off on making any specific judgements until I can get some sort of Motec-like telemetry to look at.

I have DD wheel and Old default FFB for me it's reasonably ok now despite of some cars having huge spikes of FFB resulting in exagerated steering swings.
Too bad we need to calibrate the steering lock every time you drive a different vehicle class. For example with formulas I need to set the wheel for 270° of rotation and lets say for karting have to change it to 180°. Wish you didn't need to do this.

I have DD wheel and Old default FFB for me it's reasonably ok now despite of some cars having huge spikes of FFB resulting in exagerated steering swings.
Too bad we need to calibrate the steering lock every time you drive a different vehicle class. For example with formulas I need to set the wheel for 270° of rotation and lets say for karting have to change it to 180°. Wish you didn't need to do this.
I don't have to do this in AMS 2, ACC, AC, DiRT Rally and other games. But I have to do this with rF2, AMS and R3E, though.
Have you already contacted Reiza about this?
Maybe they can solve this issue very easily.

If I had just £1 for every time someone has asked me "how long is the race" in the R3E club, despite this information being very clearly stated in the forum thread, I'd be on a DD wheel and motion rig right now, instead of a T300 and Playseat Challenge. :p
Hahaha.
Good one:thumbsup:
In Iracing the mandatory question just before gridding: How much fuel? :roflmao:

The FFB was updated. Old settings and "knowledge" no longer apply. You need to start again from scratch.
I spent a lot of hours trying to setup it, and the result is: I'm floating... there is no sign of tires loosing contact or similar.. just lateral forces..

Reiza, I'm not saying to copy Assetto Corsa or iRacing.. I'm just saying to you keep a look how these titles uses the FFB to pronunciate "tires loosing contact" in a sofisticated way...

Please do not try to sell to me that "spikes" on ffb are "tires loosing contact" ...
These "spikes" are absolutly nothing more than invisible giant rocks over the asphalt ...

Here's a list of what I would like to be fixed or included by relevance on the next updates:

1st - Ability to save multiple steering lock profiles or auto steering lock system for all vehicles.

2nd - keep both old and new FFB profiles available or intruduce a few more.

3rd - Decrease FFB spike level when regaing grip on vehicles with low or no downforce.

4th - Create Independent sliders for world and car movement. There's currently way too much camera shaking regardless of the settings.

5th - Fix AI wheels wobbling around particularly on V10 cars.

6th - Fix side Tv cameras bluriness and low graphics performance.

7th - Fix rain spray unrealistic visual.

8th - Increase opponents engine sounds level and quality. (There's practically no audible awareness of your opponents unless they are at less than 2 cars distance)

Last edited:

You do not if your wheel is configured properly. Even the old AMS has auto-configuration of each car's proper steering ratio.

I spent a lot of hours trying to setup it, and the result is: I'm floating... there is no sign of tires loosing contact or similar.. just lateral forces..

Reiza, I'm not saying to copy Assetto Corsa or iRacing.. I'm just saying to you keep a look how these titles uses the FFB to pronunciate "tires loosing contact" in a sofisticated way...

Please do not try to sell to me that "spikes" on ffb are "tires loosing contact" ...
These "spikes" are absolutly nothing more than invisible giant rocks over the asphalt ...

Spikes mean your FFB settings are incorrect for your hardware. Simple.

Here's a list of what I would like to be fixed or included by relevance on the next updates:

1st - Ability to save multiple steering lock profiles or auto steering lock system for all vehicles.

2nd - keep both old and new FFB profiles available or intruduce a few more.

3rd - Decrease FFB spike level when regaing grip on vehicles with low or no downforce.

4th - Create Independent sliders for world and car movement. There's currently way too much camera shaking regardless of the settings.

5th - Fix AI wheels wobbling around particularly on V10 cars.

6th - Fix side Tv cameras bluriness and low graphics performance.

7th - Fix rain spray unrealistic visual.

8th - Increase opponents engine sounds level and quality. (There's practically no audible awareness of your opponents unless they are at less than 2 cars distance)

#1 - already present

#2 - there is a Custom profile that you can do whatever you want with if you do not like the Reiza defaults

#3 - there are no spikes unless your FFB is set incorrectly or sub-optimally

#4 - already present...turn both down at the same time if you want less shaking. There is one more thing they could do to replicate AMS 1 settings, but not sure if that is planned

#5 - will be done by release time I am sure

#6 - Not sure what you are referring to?

#7 - Already been updated once...if others agree it is unrealistic, I am sure it will be updated again

#8 - You are allowed to adjust your own opponent engine sound slider--it won't hurt you. All sounds and sound balancing will be continuously updated until release date (and probably after, too).

Personally, I'm holding off on making any specific judgements until I can get some sort of Motec-like telemetry to look at.

tmapp_0_11.jpg

Ive been using this for a while now. Its working ok and gives you the core data you need. There is some data missing that I want (ffb, stereing arm force, Inside/mid/outside tire temps), but its better than nothing.

There are also a few other free pC telemetry apps out there, but they more or less show the same things and suffer from some bugs or other annoyances.

There are commercial alternatives too, that likely would be a notch better than this free one, for example a tiny bit more data available, dash panels and such.

I know that Reiza has not changed the data output API for the shared memory or UDP protocols, so any of these applications that are meant for pC/pC2 will work.

I found it slightly better. Can feel more tire scrub effects and breaking effects. Also That to change steering feel between high downforce cars and heavy cars I just adjust LFB.
More consistent overall.
I decided to give the New default another chance tonight and I've completely changed my mind. I guess my brain struggled to interpret the new outputs and therefore I thought "this is different and I don't like it". The majority couldn't be wrong, could they, so there had to be something wrong with me :)

• Deleted member 963059

I'm afraid we all have different experiences. I tried the P3 Roco car yesterday on Brands hatch and had a blast. Could feel exactly what the car was doing, especially when losing grip like understeering or braking too hard. I just used the new default FFB setting and quite standard settings on my wheel (CSL elite). Maybe just delete wheel settings file and start over again.

There are commercial alternatives too, that likely would be a notch better than this free one, for example a tiny bit more data available, dash panels and such.

I know that Reiza has not changed the data output API for the shared memory or UDP protocols, so any of these applications that are meant for pC/pC2 will work.
Have Reiza said anything about support for the professional telemetry tool MoteC?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back