DiRT Rally 2.0 The Expectations Behind Dirt Rally 2.0

Dirt-Rally-2-9.png

What do you believe Codemasters has in store for us?

After the pretty sad epilogue that saw Dirt 4 go down pretty much unnoticed by the virtual racing community, it was an exciting turn of events seeing a new Dirt title announced recently, this time rooting back into the ‘Rally’ origins and branded as 2.0. Following after the persistent requests from those who loved the original Dirt Rally to have some sort of a sequel to the unforgettable sim that caught everyone by surprise back when it was released in Early Access, it looks like now our wishes have been granted. Codemasters seems to have learned from its mistakes, and with this new iteration in the franchise is no longer trying to bridge a gap at all costs between simracers and arcaders, but it is now focusing entirely on the former. There is much to be excited about, but something to be worried of too.

Looking at the trailers and bits of gameplay released so far, I could not help but notice some pretty evident compromises still made in the physics department in order to make the game at least lenient towards the casual driver, but taking away realism from the hard-core player. It is not a sin, of course, as the first Dirt Rally had some noticeable inconsistencies too in the driving experience and the title, as a whole, tried to also meet the expectations of the arcade racer. This did not really happen however, since many console players and non-simracer PC users still complained that the game was “too hard” and rejected it. My question then is, why try this approach again? Why trying to make a sim with some arcadish features blending in, like the first one, if it won’t be enough for casual players to enjoy the game anyway? Why not going all-in for the absolute simracing experience and please just one audience, but at least pleasing it to the fullest?

Another thing I am not entirely convinced with is the amount of marketing and promotional videos we are being bombarded with as of late. A continuous stream of content, even if just one minute long at times, sponsoring the new game. This is a matter of concern to me. The first Dirt Rally came out unexpectedly. One day, it was there, without anyone really knowing it was going to, and leaving everyone speechless. It was not perfect, but it was an amazing and well-received surprise. During Early Access, the title was developed, improved, and with its quality did its own marketing. The game spoke volumes for itself and let players and their useful feedback be the cornering stone of its success. I honestly would have preferred in this case the same pragmatic approach that distinguished the original one.

DiRT-Rally-2-7.jpg

I loved the first Dirt Rally, and I am a long time player of the Dirt franchise. I played almost all of them, and liked them. Therefore, my wish is that Dirt Rally 2.0 will nail it on the head, and will give to all of us rally lovers (even though I consider myself merely a novice in the field) what we have been waiting for so long. A realistic, complete rally driving experience. The first one came already incredibly close, and its sequel has now the chance to hit the bull’s eye with its brand new features like track degradation or tyre selection and management (the one I am most excited for). This gives me the reason to stay confident, despite any doubt I may have so far.

If you want to discuss the game with our passionate community, and read about the latest news, check out the RaceDepartment DiRT Rally 2.0 Sub Forum. Give it a go, just keep it DiRTy!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

What do you think we can expect from Dirt Rally 2.0? Do you believe it will be up to the expectations of the simracing community? Which features are you most excited about or which one would you like to see included in the final game?

Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
I mostly suppose it is all about making money, it's a business afterall....I think a hardcore Sim Racer such as myself is always going to be in the minority....'The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few'
While that's true I think the sim market is like a shinning beacon of A grade consumers. While sim racers are a niche, most have money and are more than willing to spend it, and a lot of it. iRacing is probably doing the best on the software side at tapping that market with their monthly fees. The hardware market is exploding with products coming out every other month.

Codemasters is on the edge of that market and it looks like it's testing the waters, seeing how much effort they'd have to put in to get a little bit of that pie. I don't think it will work, your either in or your out, halfway in is still out in this market. Unless they can come up with a way to do some iRacing style pricing I don't think they'll be able to fund the product we're looking for.

And while that kind of pricing makes things pricey iRacing has shown if the product is good enough people would buy it. Rally is probably the one racing discipline that is underdeveloped in sim racing going by how popular it is. It's wide open for someone to come along and corner the market.

There's a bug in Codemasters games. When you open the game, you have to press the start button with your wheel, if you press Enter, it will reset the wheel bindings. The start button on the wheel is usually the same as the one you select menu
The button they want is not on his Fanatec rim, that is the problem. I don't remember the solution, but I know I press enter on the keyboard when the game starts and then my Fanatec wheel works in DR. IIRC you mustn't remap the start button, but I think it was even more complicated.

Rally is probably the one racing discipline that is underdeveloped in sim racing going by how popular it is. It's wide open for someone to come along and corner the market.

Slightly Mad Studios perhaps? PC2 has solid loose-surface physics. The Fast and Furious game that was supposed to be announced a year ago hasn't appeared yet. No hint of PC3, either. Ian Bell wrote in GT Planet the other day that they are working on some "epic things". I wonder...

Does Bigben still own the WRC license?

Also I would like to see another proper rally game by Milestone now that they have gotten their act together by moving to Unreal Engine.

Rally is still a niche motorsport; I don't think there is as much of a potential userbase as you imply. I do agree however that the market is ripe for someone to come out of nowhere and surprise us.

The button they want is not on his Fanatec rim, that is the problem. I don't remember the solution, but I know I press enter on the keyboard when the game starts and then my Fanatec wheel works in DR. IIRC you mustn't remap the start button, but I think it was even more complicated.
You can map any button to be the "start" button (the one the game wants you to press in the beginning), you just can't remap it ingame. To remap it you have to edit the actionmap xml files.
They're in DiRT Rally/input or DiRT4/input/actionmap folders.

You will wan't to change this line, the button ID will depend on the wheel, you need to find that out yourself
Code:
<Action id="Menu Start Button">
<Axis id="di_button_9" />

The wheel will still work, if you press Enter, but, at least for me, it resets the bindings, if I do

The 4WD cars can be setup nicely at an angle before corner entry.
RWD cars are back to their glory days of Dirt Rally. Now you can dictate where you want the rear by simply use your right foot, something that was severely lacking in D4.
FWD will feel understeery by the nature of them, but nothing wrong with that.

What about the weight of the cars, is that like D4? D4 had more of an NGP weight to it that I like.

Slightly Mad Studios perhaps? PC2 has solid loose-surface physics. The Fast and Furious game that was supposed to be announced a year ago hasn't appeared yet. No hint of PC3, either. Ian Bell wrote in GT Planet the other day that they are working on some "epic things". I wonder...

Does Bigben still own the WRC license?

Also I would like to see another proper rally game by Milestone now that they have gotten their act together by moving to Unreal Engine.

Rally is still a niche motorsport; I don't think there is as much of a potential userbase as you imply. I do agree however that the market is ripe for someone to come out of nowhere and surprise us.

I agree that PC2 has decent loose surface physics, even though the rest of the game is ****.

Bigben still has the license as far as I know, and WRC 7 is IMO hands down the best of that franchise. Unfortunately they decided to make VR4 this year, which for all intent and purposes is a decent game with nice physics, but I'd rather have WRC 8.

I'd like to see Bugbear (Wreck Fest) make another rally sim. They made Rally Trophy seventeen or so years ago which was amazing for its time, and Wreck Fest has very good physics. Now that they have THQ Nordic behind them I'm hoping they can get a bigger budget.

Rally is not a niche motorsport, it's one of the biggest motorsports in the world with a huge following and a lot of registered drivers around the world. Last year, the total cumulative TV-viewing audience was 849 million for WRC as compared to 603 million for F1. RX doesn't even deserve a mention, they're sub 50 mill worldwide. The amount of attention RX gets in games and media is extremely overrated in terms of eye balls.

If I could choose I'd kick out RX from Dirt 2.0 and make it a standalone game for those few that want it.

Last edited:
Dirt Rally, is a very fun game, but there is still huge gap between DR and RBR .. in terms physics.

Only between DR and NGP, and even then the gap is nowhere near huge. DR is realistic enough while still being fun, and yes NGP is more realistic and also a lot of fun, some cars are less realistic than others so it is very inconsistent.

What about the weight of the cars, is that like D4? D4 had more of an NGP weight to it that I like.

The feeling of weight is more like D4. There is one jump in particular on a certain stage in Dirt Rally that we've been taking in the handling prototype for Dirt Rally 2.0. The difference in height and airtime on that jump is night and day between DR and what we tested.

There's a bug in Codemasters games. When you open the game, you have to press the start button with your wheel, if you press Enter, it will reset the wheel bindings. The start button on the wheel is usually the same as the one you select menus

I'd read that, but press what you like...it doesn't work. The sheer fact it's a known bug compounds the issue. Give them more of my money???

Once you tried VR you can´t go back to a flat screen.With VR you can judge braking distance so much better,everything is more alive.I don´t buy F1 2018,because it doesn´t have VRand I don´t buy DR 2 if it doesn´t have it.Then i stick to DR 1.In fact i don´t buy any racing game without VR anymore.

I maybe the boring guy, but... Rallycross is amazingly interesting and fun!!! "Dirt rally" doesn't mean only rally! And rallycross has been the thing for many years! Competing in insane races with agreasive AI for 3 or 4 laps! That's fun!

The feeling of weight is more like D4. There is one jump in particular on a certain stage in Dirt Rally that we've been taking in the handling prototype for Dirt Rally 2.0. The difference in height and airtime on that jump is night and day between DR and what we tested.

That sounds good. I'm carefully optimistic about this game. So you've tried the same jump in both games, does that mean there are any of the same stages from DR or have you just used those stages to test?

I maybe the boring guy, but... Rallycross is amazingly interesting and fun!!! "Dirt rally" doesn't mean only rally! And rallycross has been the thing for many years! Competing in insane races with agreasive AI for 3 or 4 laps! That's fun!

You're not the boring guy, everyone likes what they want. I used to like rallycross more than I do now when all they seem to do is close down all the real rallycross tracks and race on stupid X-Games style courses on F1 tracks. At least my countrymen are dominating it still... ;)

Dirt Rally should mean only rally. It's not called Dirt Rallycross. While we're at it, Dirt Rally is a strange name. Gravel Rally would be more "rally like". But who's the boring guy now...

Once you tried VR you can´t go back to a flat screen.With VR you can judge braking distance so much better,everything is more alive.I don´t buy F1 2018,because it doesn´t have VRand I don´t buy DR 2 if it doesn´t have it.Then i stick to DR 1.In fact i don´t buy any racing game without VR anymore.

Glad I don't have to deal with that narrow window of options with my 1080p screen.

Vanilla RBR is way ahead of Dirt rally. It may feel slippery at first until you realise the speed at which you are going because it is not felt right away, just like in assetto corsa. But in terms of pendulum effect, throwing the car around and controlling it with the brake and throttle is unmatched in any other rally game, Dirt rally has this weird countersteer help where you don't have to turn the wheel much to countersteer and your counteering doesn't have to be precise.

I'd love to see some rally sim go with the sale model of iracing because maybe this is the only way to make a true sim. Also would be interesting to see something from the creators of PC2 as far as I know the guy who programmed RBR physics is working in that company.

• tunaphis

Why do CodeMasters catch so much negative feedback?They have always supported rally,introducing many players to this sport.Sure they lost their way sometimes but their games provide most players value for money which can't be said for the latest crop of wannabe's.
That said RX is a dying sport if ever there was one,Just look at the crowd at the lastest Launch Control video,maybe 1/4 full stands looking mostly bored.A pure stage based game is needed (WRC need not apply).
@ $129 in Oz for the full deluxe version they are asking alot for players who want stage rally only not RX or buggies/Trucks/etc. though with out a doubt I will pay as this is what I like to play cause atm there is no other decent alternative.
RBR was the benchmark as was Windows XP...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back