Authorised Vendor Thanos AMC-AASD15A 6axis Servo Motion Controller

Regarding support for the AMC-AASD15A and other electronics, we do more than just replacing parts, and each "failure" that comes back is a lesson how to improve going forward...

And some hot plug testing of the controller afterwards:

Thanos

I have a strange, inconsistent issue with Mega+, wondering if this could be Thanos controller related. In most cases it works, but sometimes SRS/session starts and the motion seems to be only a percentage of the standard speed , e.g. if it normally takes the system to go from A to B in 1s, it goes into a "slow mode" and it would take 3s to go from A to B. No software changes - I believe i read a post about a similar issue prior to a FW update, but I updated to the latest a few weeks ago. Wondering if someone experienced this as well?

I have a strange, inconsistent issue with Mega+, wondering if this could be Thanos controller related. In most cases it works, but sometimes SRS/session starts and the motion seems to be only a percentage of the standard speed , e.g. if it normally takes the system to go from A to B in 1s, it goes into a "slow mode" and it would take 3s to go from A to B. No software changes - I believe i read a post about a similar issue prior to a FW update, but I updated to the latest a few weeks ago. Wondering if someone experienced this as well?

There could be a few things going on.

1. Leftover wrong parameters from previous version firmware that are retained in the epprom memory. You could restore defaults and adjust the only necessary (Actuators Stroke, Auto-Park Actuators to "4act+TL+Surge" if you are using more than 4 vertical actuators). The procedure to restore defaults: After loading the new firmware, hold down the 'EXIT' button on the Thanos controller. While continuing to hold down the 'EXIT' button, press and release the "RESET" button to restore the default parameters. Now release the 'EXIT' button. This is needed to remove any incorrectly stored values from the eeprom from the previous firmware as sometimes these get updated too. See this video:

2. You may have Spike Filter value too low and its activating too easily, this can be set in SRS (Simracingstudio app).

3. Rare but it could be slowdown from the USB port driver. I'd suggest connecting the AMC-AASD15A controller using a powered USB hub, to bypass the motherboard root hub and its generic driver. In this case the AMC FTDI port enumerates in the USB hub instead on separate tree from rest peripherals shared on same USB root on the PC motherboard. A small hub like this one is the best to use: https://a.co/d/aC0Mhmh

Thanks
Thanos

There could be a few things going on.

1. Leftover wrong parameters from previous version firmware that are retained in the epprom memory. You could restore defaults and adjust the only necessary (Actuators Stroke, Auto-Park Actuators to "4act+TL+Surge" if you are using more than 4 vertical actuators). The procedure to restore defaults: After loading the new firmware, hold down the 'EXIT' button on the Thanos controller. While continuing to hold down the 'EXIT' button, press and release the "RESET" button to restore the default parameters. Now release the 'EXIT' button. This is needed to remove any incorrectly stored values from the eeprom from the previous firmware as sometimes these get updated too. See this video:

2. You may have Spike Filter value too low and its activating too easily, this can be set in SRS (Simracingstudio app).

3. Rare but it could be slowdown from the USB port driver. I'd suggest connecting the AMC-AASD15A controller using a powered USB hub, to bypass the motherboard root hub and its generic driver. In this case the AMC FTDI port enumerates in the USB hub instead on separate tree from rest peripherals shared on same USB root on the PC motherboard. A small hub like this one is the best to use: https://a.co/d/aC0Mhmh

Thanks
Thanos

Thanks, will try! Today, there is no motion at all when testing it from SRS or in-simulator, even though it connects successfully (both via SRS and the config tool). Motion system works when tested from the controller though.

Thanks, will try! Today, there is no motion at all when testing it from SRS or in-simulator, even though it connects successfully (both via SRS and the config tool). Motion system works when tested from the controller though.

You didn't mention which firmware you updated to.

The latest firmware version is 2.26 fix0: https://github.com/tronicgr/AMC-AASD15A-Firmware/tree/master/Latest_firmware

There is step by step guide from Jeff explaining every detail on the procedure:

Last edited:
You didn't mention which firmware you updated to.

The latest firmware version is 2.26 fix0: https://github.com/tronicgr/AMC-AASD15A-Firmware/tree/master/Latest_firmware

There is step by step guide from Jeff explaining every detail on the procedure:
Sorry for the confusion - I didn't recently update the firmware, I have been running 2.26 fix0 for the last 2 months, this behavior started recently without obvious software / firmware changes.

Last edited:
Not a specific question about the Thanos even though that's what I'm using. I'm having a problem with one of my SFX-100 motors (90ST-m02430) constantly running backwards. This was a working system for about 2 years that suddenly started doing this. Doesn't matter which servo controller or cable it's hooked up to so seems to be an issue with the motor itself. Wondering if this is something anyone else has ran into and if there is a fix or if I'm going to have to replace the motor. Thanks.

Last edited:
Not a specific question about the Thanos even though that's what I'm using. I'm having a problem with one of my SFX-100 motors (90ST-m02430) constantly running backwards. This was a working system for about 2 years that suddenly started doing this. Doesn't matter which servo controller or cable it's hooked up to so seems to be an issue with the motor itself. Wondering if this is something anyone else has ran into and if there is a fix or if I'm going to have to replace the motor. Thanks.
That sounds very strange. Just to be clear, for instance if it was the right rear, you have taken the signal and power cable from left rear and connected to that motor and it still behaves that way?

It sounds like a controlled movement and that has to come from somewhere other than the motor I would think.

That sounds really strange. If the motor is still outputting the same kind of force except it's moving exactly opposite what it's supposed to do, i dont think the motor burned out, etc. It seems like a software or driver setting of some kind.
Im not sure if thanos' amc controller saves this setting when it senses the motor is connected, but one reason it could be moving in the opposite direction, is if you set the actuator to foldback instead of inline, or vice versa.

Please check all 4 are saved as Inline actuators.
Also, is this just the upright 4 actuators, or a TL actuator?

That sounds really strange. If the motor is still outputting the same kind of force except it's moving exactly opposite what it's supposed to do, i dont think the motor burned out, etc. It seems like a software or driver setting of some kind.
Im not sure if thanos' amc controller saves this setting when it senses the motor is connected, but one reason it could be moving in the opposite direction, is if you set the actuator to foldback instead of inline, or vice versa.

Please check all 4 are saved as Inline actuators.
Also, is this just the upright 4 actuators, or a TL actuator?
Sorry guys I must have done a bad job explaining the issue. It's not reverse from what it should be doing from the controller. It's just constantly moving at around 1 rotation per second in the direction that causes the leg to go up into the housing. This results in the leg being retracted most of the time but during use but it can still go down if the signal from the controller is telling it to. This seemed like an interference issue to me so I tried swapping the cables for another corner and this motor has the same behavior.

Sorry guys I must have done a bad job explaining the issue. It's not reverse from what it should be doing from the controller. It's just constantly moving at around 1 rotation per second in the direction that causes the leg to go up into the housing. This results in the leg being retracted most of the time but during use but it can still go down if the signal from the controller is telling it to. This seemed like an interference issue to me so I tried swapping the cables for another corner and this motor has the same behavior.

Is it in calibration perhaps? Maybe you are missing some parameters in the servo drive. Can you make a video showing the issue, and also pan the camera on the LCD of the controller to see if its trying to calibrate the motor?

Is it in calibration perhaps? Maybe you are missing some parameters in the servo drive. Can you make a video showing the issue, and also pan the camera on the LCD of the controller to see if its trying to calibrate the motor?
Ah crap you're right. I guess the squeaking I heard was the rod slipping inside the coupler. It was indeed showing C for calibration on this motor, once I tightened up the coupler it gripped enough for it to leave calibration mode. I'm going to put it back together but hopefully that was it.

Ah crap you're right. I guess the squeaking I heard was the rod slipping inside the coupler. It was indeed showing C for calibration on this motor, once I tightened up the coupler it gripped enough for it to leave calibration mode. I'm going to put it back together but hopefully that was it.
Yep put it back together and everything seems fine. Thanks for the help.

When your actuators can accommodate the extra load for mounting your screen on your rig...

IMG_20220730_170356.jpg

@Tronicgr_6DOF - Hi Thanos I have a question please re PT Actuator Mega Monsters. I have 3 on my rig, 2 front and 1 rear, they perform incredibly well. Thanos AMC-AASD15A servo controllers with SRS software runs them for near 2 years now.

Three times now I have experienced the whole rig dropping heavily with the Actuators being in use and about 60 percent extended, so it is quite a jarring drop and obviously not good for the Actuator mechanism.

One time it was a temporary power outage and the other tmes was after an in game car crash in Assetto Corsa via Content Manager and also RRRE. In all cases the pc system crashed and the Actuators dropped down heavily.

So I want to know is there a way to prevent or bypass this from happening via some hardware or a safety feature where the Actuators lock in place rather than dropping heavily or even drop slowly without force ? It is actually quite a shock when it happens due to how fast and heavy the whole rig drops down in a mighty crash ! I am guessing this has happened to other motion sim rig users as well for similar reasons.

Last edited:
@Tronicgr_6DOF - Hi Thanos I have a question please re PT Actuator Mega Monsters. I have 3 on my rig, 2 front and 1 rear, they perform incredibly well. Thanos AMC-AASD15A servo controllers with SRS software runs them for near 2 years now.

Three times now I have experienced the whole rig dropping heavily with the Actuators being in use and about 60 percent extended, so it is quite a jarring drop and obviously not good for the Actuator mechanism.

One time it was a temporary power outage and the other tmes was after an in game car crash in Assetto Corsa via Content Manager and also RRRE. In all cases the pc system crashed and the Actuators dropped down heavily.

So I want to know is there a way to prevent or bypass this from happening via some hardware or a safety feature where the Actuators lock in place rather than dropping heavily or even drop slowly without force ? It is actually quite a shock when it happens due to how fast and heavy the whole rig drops down in a mighty crash ! I am guessing this has happened to other motion sim rig users as well for similar reasons.

First of all, what leadscrew actuators do you have 1605 or 1610? The 1605 are 250mm/s speed and have more resistance when the load is back driving them down unpowered from gravity. The 1610 are 500mm/s and they have less resistance and can develop speed if let go from higher position.

Said that, the AMC controller will never let the actuators go down free, unless you engage the e-stop button, which is repeatedly mentioned is to be used as LAST resort if catastrophic failure occurs.

Now if your computer crashes and it reboots, it might toggle OFF-ON the power on the USB ports, which would result in the AMC-AASD15A rebooting as well, with 1 sec delay until it energizes again the motors for automatic calibration. A solution to this particular problem is to use a powered USB hub, worse it will happen is the AMC will automatically park the actuators since it lost communication with the PC.

Now if there is total power loss on your house, nothing can prevent the actuators from dropping free fall. Except if you use UPS battery to power the servo drives and the powered USB hub that the AMC-AASD15A is getting power from. Same situation, everything else loses power but the Servos will automatically park down since the AMC lost communication to the PC...

See a similar solution Coops came about since his area has lots of power disruptions and his 6DOF stewart rig actuators are too long if the power goes off:

But another situation that can happen and there is no real remedy, is if you overload the servo drives, their internal safety will cut power to the motors and the result is well, depending on the load and the distance, kind of hard.

See here Coops 450mm long stroke actuators with 1610 leadscrew, drop with overloaded drives (2 of them didn't fail immediately and the load shifted back):

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea