Authorised Vendor Thanos AMC-AASD15A 6axis Servo Motion Controller

OMG !!! :confused: Wow that second vid of the Hexapod suddenly dropping at the end was scary ... poor Coops looked bit shocked at the end !

Anyway, thanks for the detailed info in your reply Thanos ... I do not have an E-Stop connected and as far as can tell the servo's are never overloaded. I had a UPS and it died awhile ago but might have to look into one again.

My PT's are the 250mm/sec but I would say it did not feel like they dropped slowly as it crashed to ground fast and hard with me in the rig. But you said it should have parked itself the 2 times that the PC crashed because I cannot recall power being completely cut except for when there was a power outage.

Have I incorrectly adjusted settings in the AMC-AASD15A ?

Attachments

• Settings_MB.jpg
    Settings_MB.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
OMG !!! :confused: Wow that second vid of the Hexapod suddenly dropping at the end was scary ... poor Coops looked bit shocked at the end !

Anyway, thanks for the detailed info in your reply Thanos ... I do not have an E-Stop connected and as far as can tell the servo's are never overloaded. I had a UPS and it died awhile ago but might have to look into one again.

My PT's are the 250mm/sec but I would say it did not feel like they dropped slowly as it crashed to ground fast and hard with me in the rig. But you said it should have parked itself the 2 times that the PC crashed because I cannot recall power being completely cut except for when there was a power outage.

Have I incorrectly adjusted settings in the AMC-AASD15A ?

I'd suggest changing the Pulse Filter to 0 as its recommended for use with SRS motion software , and even if you don't have the e-stop switch set the e-stop mode to 1 (hold position) in case the signal activates by EMI signals or overload.

You didn't mention if you have powered USB hub or not. I'd recommend this one if you don't have one:

Can you share a photo of your rig to see what load in involved?

Thanks
Thanos

I'd suggest changing the Pulse Filter to 0 as its recommended for use with SRS motion software , and even if you don't have the e-stop switch set the e-stop mode to 1 (hold position) in case the signal activates by EMI signals or overload.

You didn't mention if you have powered USB hub or not. I'd recommend this one if you don't have one:

Can you share a photo of your rig to see what load in involved?

Thanks
Thanos
I do not have a powered USB Hub but have now ordered one from Amazon per your suggestion. I did not know the Pulse Filter had to be off for use with SRS and that is quite surprising to know as I found at the current setting I have eliminated all the harsh bumps and I get a nice smooth ride with no harsh jerking about. However I will try it set at zero / off. I am away from home working so unable at this time to take a pic of my rig.

Basically it is a Trakracer TR160 extruded aluminium frame. On it is my Fanatec V2 Pedals, Simucube 2 pro wheel, CSP Shifter and myself. Total gross weight being lifted by the three actuators is 220 Kg calculated by weighing every single component including myself that must be lifted. The PT-A's are rated at 150kg each, so 450 Kg total. Plenty of overhead.

@Tronicgr_6DOF - Thanks and I can now show some pics of my rig as you requested. Sorry if quality is bit rough and angle is not great as the space is pretty confined where I am setup. Also Thanos, just wanted to add that I experimented at Pulse Filter 0 and did not like it at all. It introduces a very raw and harsh feeling to all my profiles. It likely is more detailed but I have all my AC & AMS2 profiles tuned to Pulse Filter 4 (tried 2 then 3 and settled on 4). I like the smoothness and balance it gives at this setting and I do not perceive any lag. Is there other technical or mechanical reasons why it is advised to have this at zero ? Thanks.

PT-MonsterX3_Blanes001.jpgPT-MonsterX3_Blanes002.jpgPT-MonsterX3_Blanes003.jpg

Attachments

• PT-MonsterX3_Blanes004.jpg
    PT-MonsterX3_Blanes004.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 65
  • PT-MonsterX3_Blanes005.jpg
    PT-MonsterX3_Blanes005.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 59
  • PT-MonsterX3_Blanes006.jpg
    PT-MonsterX3_Blanes006.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 52
  • PT-MonsterX3_Blanes007.jpg
    PT-MonsterX3_Blanes007.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
@Tronicgr_6DOF - Thanks and I can now show some pics of my rig as you requested. Sorry if quality is bit rough and angle is not great as the space is pretty confined where I am setup. Also Thanos, just wanted to add that I experimented at Pulse Filter 0 and did not like it at all. It introduces a very raw and harsh feeling to all my profiles. It likely is more detailed but I have all my AC & AMS2 profiles tuned to Pulse Filter 4 (tried 2 then 3 and settled on 4). I like the smoothness and balance it gives at this setting and I do not perceive any lag. Is there other technical or mechanical reasons why it is advised to have this at zero ? Thanks.

View attachment 590637View attachment 590638View attachment 590639

The reason I suggested using the Pulse Filter value 0, although its a bit more harsh, is because it implements better the Park/Standby automation timing and has better reaction time to SRS profiles that are tuned by Jeff for that value.

Also I can see why it can drop faster with only 3 actuators, more load per actuator to back drive it unpowered.

The reason I suggested using the Pulse Filter value 0, although its a bit more harsh, is because it implements better the Park/Standby automation timing and has better reaction time to SRS profiles that are tuned by Jeff for that value.

Also I can see why it can drop faster with only 3 actuators, more load per actuator to back drive it unpowered.
Okay and thanks for your advice. I try some of those profiles but prefer my own and now all tuned with pulse filter. I have the powered usb hub delivered next week and other option is I can invest in another UPS.

Adding active belt tensioner on 6DOF Stewart platform, driven by the Thanos AMC-AASD15A controller:

Many thanks to Chris for his great videos as always!

Last edited:
@Tronicgr_6DOF I dont know if I will go down this path but if I did, do you think I would have any issues?

One thing most software packages dont seem to allow you to do is to adjust your seatbelt, for example map buttons to loosen/tighten your belt on the fly using the servo not phsically adjusting the belt. I might have some clothing that moved and i want it tighter.. I might just want to adjust during the race for whatever reason.

Do you think there would be any issue wiring a pulse generator on to the servo driver in parallel with your controller? Without software supporting this it's the only hack I can think of but unsure if there is an issue I should be aware of?

Last edited:
@Tronicgr_6DOF I dont know if I will go down this path but if I did, do you think I would have any issues?

One thing most software packages dont seem to allow you to do is to adjust your seatbelt, for example map buttons to loosen/tighten your belt on the fly using the servo not phsically adjusting the belt. I might have some clothing that moved and i want it tighter.. I might just want to adjust during the race for whatever reason.

Do you think there would be any issue wiring a pulse generator on to the servo driver in parallel with your controller? Without software supporting this it's the only hack I can think of but unsure if there is an issue I should be aware of?

First of all what type belt tensioner you use or plan to use?

If its actuator based and relay on the hard stop or limit switches for its calibration, forcing the motor move beyond the current positions known to the AMC-AASD15A controller is not good idea, as it can park the motor beyond its physical limits.

Even is its a "direct" type one, it could still be bad as it could apply more force than expected when not in game (offline automation to park or standby...).

Also inserting pulses electrically can cause conflicts, as you will also need to flip High (5v) or Low (0v) the direction pin which could be a short circuit if the controller has it set to 0v (ground) and you set it to 5v without resistors for controlling the current flow...

So the obvious solution would be adding two push buttons on the AMC-AASD15A to do this belt adjustment by inserting the extra pulses. There are two unused pins that could be used for that purpose (S2 and S3 jumper pads) but I'd need to add the relative code for this in the firmware first. Do you have the 1280 or 2560 chip revision? So I know which one to alter for you to try...

First of all what type belt tensioner you use or plan to use?

If its actuator based and relay on the hard stop or limit switches for its calibration, forcing the motor move beyond the current positions known to the AMC-AASD15A controller is not good idea, as it can park the motor beyond its physical limits.

Even is its a "direct" type one, it could still be bad as it could apply more force than expected when not in game (offline automation to park or standby...).

Also inserting pulses electrically can cause conflicts, as you will also need to flip High (5v) or Low (0v) the direction pin which could be a short circuit if the controller has it set to 0v (ground) and you set it to 5v without resistors for controlling the current flow...

So the obvious solution would be adding two push buttons on the AMC-AASD15A to do this belt adjustment by inserting the extra pulses. There are two unused pins that could be used for that purpose (S2 and S3 jumper pads) but I'd need to add the relative code for this in the firmware first. Do you have the 1280 or 2560 chip revision? So I know which one to alter for you to try...
Thanks for the reply, yes my concern was around the pulses also traveling back to your controller.

I have a belt similar to flags, it doesnt calibrate to a hardstop, just power on and could rotate until it reaches its torque limit. Which I gave a go as a safety test :) while uncomfortable, no bones will be broken :)

I believe I have the 2560 bought this time last year (RGB V1.4)

I will have a look at the video you posted after, thx.

Thanks for the reply, yes my concern was around the pulses also traveling back to your controller.

I have a belt similar to flags, it doesnt calibrate to a hardstop, just power on and could rotate until it reaches its torque limit. Which I gave a go as a safety test :) while uncomfortable, no bones will be broken :)

I believe I have the 2560 bought this time last year (RGB V1.4)

Ok, I'll be working on the firmware changes to add this control and test it over the weekend. Planning to add a menu option, so you can adjust which port is it for and how many pulses will add to each direction... a simple N.O. (normally open) toggle two way switch would work fine for this... already prepared the hardware for testing.

IMG_20220825_133624.jpg

IMG_20220825_133956.jpg

Ok, I'll be working on the firmware changes to add this control and test it over the weekend. Planning to add a menu option, so you can adjust which port is it for and how many pulses will add to each direction... a simple N.O. (normally open) toggle two way switch would work fine for this... already prepared the hardware for testing.

View attachment 594594

View attachment 594595
That is awesome, I will prepare a switch! :)

That is awesome, I will prepare a switch! :)

Did a quick test of the consept. Works as expected. I made the switch function not repeatable in case something falls on it by accident won't keep going, rather inserts the extra offset steps every time you toggle the switch...

Off to add the menu options to be able to enable it and configure it to your liking :thumbsup:

Please check your PM for some dev questions...

Did a quick test of the consept. Works as expected. I made the switch function not repeatable in case something falls on it by accident won't keep going, rather inserts the extra offset steps every time you toggle the switch...

Off to add the menu options to be able to enable it and configure it to your liking :thumbsup:

Please check your PM for some dev questions...
Thanos this looks like a great addition. I have a pre-RGB unit. Can you please also make this firmware available for me to have a run? .. Flag

Hey man! FYI there is a way to do this in FlyPT Mover allowing you to assign the adjustment to a button box. I would welcome a way to do it directly through the controller though. I can send a FlyPT profile with the belt / direct module containing the goodies if your interested.

Added the functions, and did a quick test on a normal actuator, so you can see the different modes and effect on offsetting the position...

I will release the firmware update after I make sure its stable..

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 332 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 228 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 224 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 169 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 288 13.5%