Targa Florio '73 alpha

Tracks Targa Florio '73 alpha 0.1.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
Abulzz submitted a new resource:

Targa Florio '73 pre alpha - Circuito Piccolo Delle Madonie

Please do not upload these files anywhere, mod, or convert the track.
but please do share a link to this page, or my page.
Thank you!

Targa Florio is a historic racing events that took place in Sicily, Italy.
This is the Circuito Piccolo delle Madonie that was 72km long with more than 800 corners each lap. Covering vast landscapes and passing through 3 towns, it's a race like no other.
the lap...

Read more about this resource...

Hey guys,
some of you might know that simtraxx is currently doing the targa florio convertion project. so why did I came out from nowhere with a new built-from-scratch version?
well, do allow me to say a bit about the background story behind this project.

Back in 2014, I started the targa florio convertion project, with permission from Georg who held the rights for the rfactor version. It went quite well, actually. It got well optimized, working ai, set of cameras, etc. this is my video showing the progress back then;

until in 2016, i hit a wall where I can't continue the progress, unless I rework a huge part of the track. after discussing it with sergioloro and georg, I decided that it's better that I started a new built from scratch version, the one that would be my own.
and so I did, and stopped the convertion project.

some time after that, simtraxx contacted me and asked if they can continue the project. I explained the situation, they understand, and after talking to Georg, the convertion project continues. Simtraxx will continue from my last build, the v 0.8.

and 2 years later, here we are lol.
to be honest, I was hoping that simtraxx would've been finished the convertion by now. well I guess they have their own circumstances. The old one is a classic masterpiece and even now, I still drive it once in a while. last update has shown plenty of improvements since I left it, I'm curious to see the finished version.

and It's one of my reason why my version is the '73 version. first, I don't think we need two version of the same year, and the '73 event was quite important, as it was the last Targa Florio event as a World Sportscar Championship race.

so that's it. and this is what I have been working on quitely for the last 2 years. sorry for the silence, but I was hoping I can bring the community a pleasant surprise lol.
I hope you guys are not too disappointed with this current pre-alpha version. I too, wished the track should be more developed after 2 years. but I'll do what I can to make more time to work on this.
and from now, I will post my progress here every now and then to keep you guys updated!

cheers!

Abulzz

Thank you for sharing this! I especially like to hear the background story as I am one of those people eagerly waiting for the Simtraxx conversion that has taken a much longer time than everyone involved originally thought.

I was not aware of the circumstances and that you actually started a new build ;-)

I am a huuuuuuge fan of the era in racing when Porsche became what we know Porsche for now and those races at the Targa where just so incredibly important for Porsche history. I am so curious how this project will go on and am looking forward to spend some time on the track with the Porsche cars we have available for Assetto Corsa.

Thank you for sharing your work and good luck with the continuation!

It would be really amazing if you could place some textures - even temporary ones on the buildings in the villages - any textures really.

That for me was always the biggest appeal f the Targa Florio - this crazy fast race and coming from the tight, twisty country road, blasting through the villages with 500 - 600 kg light overpowered open prototypes.

The roads feel great and I am sure the elevation and corners are as close to the real track as you will be able to make it - now it just needs a coat of paint ;-)

This is something I enjoyed about the early alpha version of the simtraxx release (it may already have looked like that in your first effort to convert the track to AC before simtraxx took over).

You came through these villages and all of a sudden there is LIFE !

I am really looking forward to this project moving forward. The Targa Florio is one of the essential tracks for us vintage GT racing nuts. Now if there was only a nice version of a Porsche 908/3 for Assetto Corsa ;-)

that video of the 919 has me giggle in anticipation, really like it.
Also compared to the "old" conversion project, even this early version has a much more contemporary feel to it, its like Lego compared to Duplo.
Also hope someone can record a good AI line for it, i know I suck too much for that :redface:

I was wondering why someone would start such a huge project if it was already being made, now I get it. Thanks for the explanation!

Being such a huge fan of this track I'll keep an eye on this for sure :thumbsup:

I can already tell that you have put much work into this, I really appreciate it. Targa Florio is one of my all time favourites and I'm exited to see a completely new version is in the works. Hope you stay motivated!

I was wondering why someone would start such a huge project if it was already being made, now I get it. Thanks for the explanation!

Being such a huge fan of this track I'll keep an eye on this for sure :thumbsup:
Sometimes old track models should stay in the past....

Oh yes!!
I remember following very closely your "old" project on AC forum. Now, out of the blue, we get a brand new scratch made Targa!!!! Thank you , thank you , thank you!
I know what I'm doing tonight

It would be really amazing if you could place some textures - even temporary ones on the buildings in the villages - any textures really.
lol why didn't I think of that. yeah I should've done that :redface:
but the next one in the list is the building models, so I'm a bit in a dilemma here :D
one way or the other, next update will include houses and buildings, so look forward to it! :D

Version 0.0.1 - Where did you find this number? :) ;)
well.. sometimes yo just have to make something up lol

It's a pleasure to see that the track now has seen the light of day. :)
many many thanks to you my friend ;)

by the way, you guys might notice some difference in some corners or parts of the track, for example, the roller coaster section

road change08-roller coaster.jpg

that was the section back then in the 80s. the road was still straight, and from the google street view I notice some remains of retainer walls. My conclusion was that the landslide didn't happen until the 90s.
there are a few more difference that I found, like corners that have been made less sharp, etc. although in the end I may not be able to make it exactly like the 70s, but I'm trying to make it as close as possible ;)

and other thing I noticed is, there aren't that many big trees compared to present day. this track may not be as green as we know lol

and other thing I noticed is, there aren't that many big trees compared to present day. this track may not be as green as we know lol

maybe when U make the trees U could use a separate KN5 file for them and maybe also spectators and road add-ons? That way some of us who don't have super computers could run it without them , like it is now and they won't have to worry about FPS dropping to much. We could make a folder called Off and put them in there if FPS is too low. I don't mind running the way it is right now, but I few trees and would bother my comp that much anyway. Well maybe more than a few be ok LOL

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back