Steam & RACE 07/ON GTR EVO changes on 01/09/12

I've noticed that Steam has moved around the way it stores my Race On data, now all the data has moved to:
X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RACE 07
(stored with rest of the steam games instead of steamapps\USERNAME\RACE07) & now includes all subfolders & files loose.

This means all mods have to be relocated & unfortunately some mods are playing up.

Also problems with launching the game being encountered at our end.

Just a heads up.

EDIT: Problem of launching the game seems to be solved by deleting all content, reinstalling Race 07, shutting steam down, restarting & then in to game.

Mod Edit: tutorial for relocation here, by @Kennett Ylitalo

I have the Evo menu back!
Make a copie of the Uidata folder first.
In the Uidata/menu folder there are textures, textures_Frog,_Mamba and _Toad.
I moved the mamba, toad and frog to another place, renamed them in to textures and put them back in. You now have 1 textures folder.
When I started Race 07 to check if it works, I got GTR-Evo.

This is the actual loading time

whts all this about?

i have GTR Evo installed but none of the cars are show other then the GT Power pack cars.

33z7hnl.jpg

2yjvt5j.jpg

2lj3rsz.jpg

Just noticed that i haven't installed Race ON at all :cautious: And Race ON has had the most errors after the update in all forums, right?

Yep, it was Race On that my "conversion" became stuck on for 6 hours (I eventually quit it).
I've decided to go for the complete removal and re-install procedure, otherwise I'd never be confident that all was ok. When in doubt, I always go for a complete re-install.

Regarding the verfication of each games cache, I found by watching the Steam\Steamapps\Temp directory when installing each game from back-up copies, a few of the expansion packs had files that weren't being copied into the new folders and were being deleted at the end of installation. I posted earlier in this thread that a few expansions made my HDD sound like it was about to blow up: it was these expansions that had missing files that were the cause.

For example; when installing GTR Evo from back-up, none of the Corvette C6R sound files (found in Steam\steamapps\common\RACE 07\GameData\Sounds\Car\GT_Pro\Corvette_C6R) starting with "tw_" were being copied across from the Steamapps\temp directory. I found that a folder named '8660' had been created during installation in the Steamapps\temp directory and this contained both GameData and UiData subdirectories filled with files that were deleted at the end of GTR Evo's installation.

Completing a "verify the games cache" for GTR Evo resulted in the download of the files once held in the Steamapps\temp directory. If I complete the verification of the GTR Evo game cache now, the same 91 files are downloaded each time and it's the same for any expansion or DLC pack with missing/corrupted files upon install.

For those who've posted that their games are working 100% - are you able to click any of Race 07, Race On or GTR Evo icons and have the game load without issue? All the SimBin games are working as intended for me yet I cannot start any game other than Race 07 without the message "you need Race 07 installed, would you like to install Race 07 now" appearing.

I'm sure Steam will miss your business.
Don't forget to kick your monitor too, that bastard is definitely in cahoots with evil Steam, they always are!

Just reinstall it all? At least it's all very simple with Steam.

done that and none of are add on packs work together with race07 like it used to. if i want to use the retro, GT power, WTCC'10, STCC TG 2 or FFR i have to close the game and reopen the game clicking on the add packs desktop icons. so i want to use the retro cars, i have to close game and click on the retro icon. and same for the other packs. i cant click on race07 and then them all work like before the update.

For those who've posted that their games are working 100% - are you able to click any of Race 07, Race On or GTR Evo icons and have the game load without issue? All the SimBin games are working as intended for me yet I cannot start any game other than Race 07 without the message "you need Race 07 installed, would you like to install Race 07 now" appearing.

Well, in fact ... with the method I used by 1st copying the old Race07 folder into common, etc ... I only updated Race07 but..... no other expansions ... and all expansions are working with starting Race07.
Of course I cannot start the game with GTR EVO as example, because I don't want it to update.
But I heard that even updated, the message you get ... others get it too !

I didn't update other expansions because menu colours, etc ... have no importance for me ... the most important is .... racing ;) and having less problems .... until next Steam update ????:unsure:

Last night after racing the Retro pack i tried to start my game using the RaceOn header and it wanted to update the content ...so i let it and spent the next 2 hours updating all other content .. as i clicked on it it wanted to update.. when it all had finished it would not launch anything even after a reboot ...ohdeer i thought .. so i deleted(i made a back up first) all the from main steam folder apart from steam exe and steam apps (yellow folder) and bingo it all works again...
maybe this will help some people...
(no worries Ian Strom it all works):D

I have not experienced this yet?? Will this definitely happen?
If you're speaking about the update ...
Yes if you have Steam Online
No if you have Steam Offline

So if you don't want to do it, remain Steam Offline before starting game ;)
Without Steam Online, update cannot be downloaded and game servers may be joined.
Check it because I didn't try this as I updated my game.

Rupe, mine stopped working after I did that 20MB update for Race On, then eventually I deleted the .blob files in my steam folder and Race 07 started launching again. :p
I am not going to further tempt fate; just going to keep running everything from Race 07 itself and I will be fine! :)

I have not experienced this yet?? Will this definitely happen?

It hasn't happened to me, everything works as it did. And i only use steam in on-line mode.
Also i never use race07 to start the game, always start from the latest installed expansion.
All the game files are still in : X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\yourname\RACE 07.

No idea why i didn't get the update as everybody i know got it. But i,m not complaining :)

Steam decided to force me to update and I did. Race 07 or any expansion refused to start. I I deleted everything and decided to install everything again. Nothing, still can't open the game at all. Sorry for the language, but ......... Steam! Why do this, uh? WHY?! I don't know what to do now. I have the new folders, new files, etc... but game wont start.

edit: bad language removed.

I reinstalled everything and it all works so far!!
I'm in the same situation but only Race 07 runs all the DLC & expansions. Clicking on anything else (e.g. GTR Evo, Race On or WTCC 2010) results in the "you need to install Race '07" message.

It hasn't happened to me, everything works as it did. And i only use steam in on-line mode.
Also i never use race07 to start the game, always start from the latest installed expansion.
All the game files are still in : X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\yourname\RACE 07.

No idea why i didn't get the update as everybody i know got it. But i,m not complaining :)
Are your games set to automatically update? If the answer is no then you've avoided the drama that Steam has given the rest of us.

I had FINALLY managed to get the game working and all the mods. Reinstalled everything about 3 times! Now it doesnt start again! What can I possibly be doing wrong?

By the way, I apologize for the language, but it's driving me crazy. I have all files in the correct folders.

done that and none of are add on packs work together with race07 like it used to. if i want to use the retro, GT power, WTCC'10, STCC TG 2 or FFR i have to close the game and reopen the game clicking on the add packs desktop icons. so i want to use the retro cars, i have to close game and click on the retro icon. and same for the other packs. i cant click on race07 and then them all work like before the update.
Did you have backup copies made prior to Steam updating? If so, I wonder if you can install your back-ups whilst keeping Steam offline and once installed, set each game to not update automatically. Only issue might be if your back-up copies do not contain the fixes SimBin pushed out over time.

Travis,
Steam won't let user restore a backup unless it is online... and thats the problem, because it will ask for an update if so.
Damn it.

I've never attempted to restore a Steam game whilst being offline and was hoping my suggestion would work. As you've pointed out, this is impossible which is stupid. Steam makes the back-up so you'd presume it would verify the user has the right to do so. Therefore the user could install a game whenever he/she chose to do so. I find it amusing that Steam doesn't need to be online to delete a game...

I always used WTCC2010 Icon to start game and was never asked to update. Yesterday I used the Race07 icon and BAM!!!! Race07 needs to be updated.
I tried to used a backup I made but this also did not work. So I un-installed the complete game and all addons and started a fresh dl from steam. This will take a while.

I had FINALLY managed to get the game working and all the mods. Reinstalled everything about 3 times! Now it doesnt start again! What can I possibly be doing wrong?

By the way, I apologize for the language, but it's driving me crazy. I have all files in the correct folders.

That's what mine did after i initially had it working see post127 that's what i did and it now works OK...hope it helps...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back