Steam & RACE 07/ON GTR EVO changes on 01/09/12

I've noticed that Steam has moved around the way it stores my Race On data, now all the data has moved to:
X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RACE 07
(stored with rest of the steam games instead of steamapps\USERNAME\RACE07) & now includes all subfolders & files loose.

This means all mods have to be relocated & unfortunately some mods are playing up.

Also problems with launching the game being encountered at our end.

Just a heads up.

EDIT: Problem of launching the game seems to be solved by deleting all content, reinstalling Race 07, shutting steam down, restarting & then in to game.

Mod Edit: tutorial for relocation here, by @Kennett Ylitalo

OK, everything is goddy goody for me [again], not so easily this time though.

One last remaining problem that has cropped up, I can run race07 and shut it down but it won't start again unless I shut steam down completely and then restart it. Is a Steam reinstall needed here?

I just posted a support ticket on Steam: It says:

Hi,
Twice, recently, you seemed to have performed some kind of update on my PC, moving race07 content around. The first time I went on to do a race i had signed up for and your update insisted on running there and then, i could not postpone it. It locked my out for three hours and I missed the race. After your update most of the add on's I had, stopped working and I couldn't find any of my personal car set up files. The other day I came back to race again and another client side update started, apparently undoing all of the changes made on the previous occasion. Granted it was quicker this time but now the game won't start at all, my monitors go black and they all say unsupported format. So my questions are:

1. Why was I not given a choice to at least defer the update?
2. why was the update not tested better? The racing forums are full of stories of the problems this has caused.
3. What operations were performed the second time that now seem to prevent the game from running at all?
4. Have I really given permission in the terms and conditions of my steam license for you to perform this sort of operation on my PC without my informed consent?
5. Given the trouble that this has caused to lots of people would you consider compensating us in some way? Game vouchers perhaps?

Sorry to sound so brutal but I am really upset right now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will let you guys know how i get on.

thanks

good luck getting a reply from them.

@Dennis Phelan,

Yes, what I wanto to know exactly is if this procedure you adopted has brought your race on menus and UI back... because I won't go through that to get disappointed anymore. My bandwidth is very low. It takes forever to download a game like that.

I really only use the Race07 icon and menu.

Edit: As I said, my replacement of Race07 and addon files went well it was only because of Steam that I did a reinstall. Since I've done that wrong Steam says I have no games in my library so I'm getting another fresh install right now. A good thing there is that it's putting the new game in the Steam folder instead of the SteamGTR so my HD will be a bit cleaner! Good news, I get to do it again in a week or so when I install a new HD and Win7 :) day!

I have finally managed to get everything working. Just reinstalled Steam once again, deleted all Steam and Race 07 folders. Installed Race 07 first and then expansions one by one. I left Race ON for last and it did a little update (maybe a fix).

Started the game, it created a folder on Documents. Replaced my backed up files with the newly created files. Works like a charm. I can start from any expansion, including Race ON, and the mods go to the original Race 07 folder. :)

Yup, did rollback, it still downloaded 2,4gigs and lost all my mods.. I was going to wipe mods anyway, tracks are still there.. Haven't checked what it actually did, the game works anyway.

I'm now pretty sure they mixed RRRe with Race07 since RRRe installed to steamapps\common yesterday ;) Also Steam got big client update, bunch of useless features.. TF2 wanted to do 12gig update in wednesday so there were a lot of big updates in their schedule. Not an excuse but possible cause.

Here's what I did:

*Delete everything SimBin related off my hard drive - via Steam first and then going into the common folder and deleting the Race 07 folder and all of the incorrectly created ACF files within the Steamapps folder.

*Allow Steam to re-download Race 07

*From existing back-ups, re-install all of the Race '07 DLC and the Race expansion packs (GTR Evo and Race On). I verified each game cache once installation was complete.

I can now start any SimBin game by clicking any of the links within Steam. I've tested this by starting Race 07, GTR Evo and Race On.

I think a lot of the issues are caused by the SimBin games not being completely deleted by Steam; when you delete Race 07, please ensure that boith the Common folder and the Steamapps folder are devoid of any SimBin related files before reinstalling Race 07 etc.

Cheers.

I skimmed through this thread but didn't see an answer.

My friend is able to launch RACE 07 one time, if he quits out and attempts to launch it again the game won't launch until he restarts Steam and again will only work 1 time until Steam is restarted again.

He's got no RACE 07 files in the /common/ directory and only one RACE 07 folder in the /my docs/simbin directory.

OK, to throw more confusion into this, I've just checked what installation of Race07 is running using Sim Race Manager by applying and removing mods and it would appear that the original version (ie STEAMAPPS/REDSCAB69/RACE07) is running. YES I did do the dreaded update but it's not running from "that" (common) version.
I did however check the installation files using the STEAM interface and it downloaded a very small file to correct some stuff.
So......Nothing has changed and I'm still runnning from the original installation?????

OK, to throw more confusion into this, I've just checked what installation of Race07 is running using Sim Race Manager by applying and removing mods and it would appear that the original version (ie STEAMAPPS/REDSCAB69/RACE07) is running. YES I did do the dreaded update but it's not running from "that" (common) version.
I did however check the installation files using the STEAM interface and it downloaded a very small file to correct some stuff.
So......Nothing has changed and I'm still runnning from the original installation?????

Steam switched it back to the original installation, which solved many people's problems including myself. I could only start the game from Race 07, but now I can start from any expansion. Race ON did a little update that probably fixed the corrupt/wrong files that were in the folders.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.