So......lets talk AI?

Msportdan

@Simberia
So firstly I want to say good job on the AI (so far) suppose im worrying that you will ruin the AI like what AC has done to its AI. But to be fair simbin have always done a competent ai. I think theyre good they overtake you (unlike cms f1) theyre quite quick even on low 90s level. I would like to see them better RF2 aI.

However maybe we could just talk about points about the AI and what you would like to see, or how they perform.

*I would like to see them defend a tight corner (hairpin) if your right behind I like them to close the door on the inside. (anticipate your out breaking move)

* Not get bunched up that sometimes happens. when accident occurs I think?!

What do you think? had a good moment with them. ?

is it me or did it get hot in here.....:devilish:

What ever your current opinion is the only fact i can give that AI is still under heavy development.

We have made some AI code improvements but those improvements have not been implemented on all the track yet. Maybe @Marko Hartikainen can you give you a little insight on which tracks are furthest along.

But even then we have some way to go with the AI, working with Ai is sometimes a Pandora's box ;)

Don't know for the others but don't get me wrong jay...i'm not getting angry :)...i don't really care about the adac and i bought it only for the bargain price...but since i like so much the wtcc championship (that i will most probably buy) i simply hope it will have an improved ai or at least more correct...for example you could just use and improve the race pro ai since it was near perfect...

I've had some quite enjoyable races with full grid of Radicals at Portimao. But ai does bump you sometimes even if you're faster. It's like they just don't react with my car.

is it me or did it get hot in here.....:devilish:

What ever your current opinion is the only fact i can give that AI is still under heavy development.

We have made some AI code improvements but those improvements have not been implemented on all the track yet. Maybe @Marko Hartikainen can you give you a little insight on which tracks are furthest along.

But even then we have some way to go with the AI, working with Ai is sometimes a Pandora's box ;)

Thanks for your input Jay. :)

The problem is really odd due to its inconsistent appearence:
  1. Not everybody has the problem. A lot of people say they have no issues with AI at all. And I can honestly assure you that when you encounter the AI-problems some of us have, there is absolutely no way to not notice it. It's really extreme and unquestionable.

2. Not everybody who has problems with the AI has them all the time. One has the problem on a track where another one has no problems, while this other person has the problem on another track. The same goes for car classes or session type. At least this is what I learned from reading all the postings from people in this thread and of course from my own experiences.
You see, this way it's really hard for anyone to nail the core of it. But it doesn't seem to be a track-only problem, let alone something simple. But since I don't have any insight in the coding, I can only make presumptions here.

Maybe you could direct Marko to this thread, so he could give us some info or something to try that might help to shed some light on this issue. So far it looks so weird to me, that I fail to see what I could try next to pull any valuable info out of it. My own experience doesn't fit to 100% with anybody elses experience described here. There are always one or more differences that completely destroy a consistent picture of the issue. But someone like Marko, who isn't limited to observing from the "outside", but who has insight on the "inside" could be of great help.

Best regards... ;)

i was racing zandvoort last nite, with the aquilas mind, you.. I thought a few tight bends here and there if the Ai will be broken it will be here.

But i was surprised how aware they actually were..A few times i went in for the out-break, expecting them to turn in on me mid corner. As i looked right/left i watched the AI keep their distance i was impressed, i wasnt piled into. There has been a few occasions where the ai were slow on exiting some corners. But when i went to the ADAC series they seemed faster and less vunerable in those "aquila" corners.

Im just worried that RRe ends up like AC, the ai were good initially in that, but overtime people complained and now they dont overtake at all.

...net result i dont play/given up with ac now.

AI is AI, don't believe it will ever race like a human being. The AI follows certain rules and as long as you stay inside of them you will have a fun race. Meaning: You have to adapt to the AI, because the AI is incapable to adapt to you. Try to work with it, not against it.

As long as you race in a straight line while besides them, race clean and the strength of the AI is comparable to your speed, it should be okay. I hope nobody sees my words as offensive as last time.

Oh and I only play the ADAC tracks and cars... since these have the newest Data, I don't think it makes much sense to expect this behaviour from other car/track combinations.

And I second the opnion about Assetto Corsas AI... I don't know why, but Kunos ruined their great start. The AI literally drives out of your way...

Last edited:
AI is AI, don't believe it will ever race like a human being. The AI follows certain rules and as long as you stay inside of them you will have a fun race. Meaning: You have to adapt to the AI, because the AI is incapable to adapt to you. Try to work with it, not against it.

As long as you race in a straight line while besides them, race clean and the strength of the AI is comparable to your speed, it should be okay. I hope nobody sees my words as offensive as last time.

I find this patronizing. So you think people with several decades of sim racing experience don't know a good AI from a poor one, and/or simply fail to adapt?

Nice one. This time you're implying that that everybody who reported massive problems with the AI isn't even capable of driving in a straight line.

If you don't want people to to see your words as offensive, than you just shouldn't be offensive so obviously. Thank you.

Just raced 5 laps at RB Ring and I have to report that the AI was surprisingly good (23 cars). No divebombing nonsense like at Nürburgring a while ago.

So how's the AI?

It's not patronizing, when I try to get people on the same page.There are a great many misconceptions about Racing AI, but in the end you will only complain about me anyway, reading my words out of context, no matter what I write.

Last edited:
Can anyone explain to me how the AI brakes so hard and quickly?

I am a newb but it just seems they can brake so much quicker than I can.

It's typical for the ISImotor games. As I wrote earlier, it is adjustable in many earlier titles, but not in R3E, unfortunately.

For UOPshadow, there are no misconceptions regarding quality AI. It seems that currently the R3E AI is horrible at some tracks while pretty decent in others. More optimization needed.

Last edited:
I just have a problem on the first corner of either ramming the car in front of me as it seems to brake on a dime or slowing down and getting hit or passed from the cars behind.

I will say I am probably an adaptive AI nightmare as I put in decent times, but then go off the track at one corner. So it thinks I am slower than I am. :) Maybe if it thought I was faster it wouldn't brake as hard.

Sorry for not replying before here but I have been super busy with things to come. Like Jay says AI is under development all the time, next up is WTCC in which I hope you guys think we improved again.

Also there is lots and lots of updating "old" content to do still, hopefully we can get few tracks and classed done for the next update.

Thanks for the update Marko! You guys have done a great job on the AI as it stands now! Keep up the great work!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.