SimVibe setup with Chassis Mode and/ or Extended Mode (Tactile Tranducer System)

hi all, trying to setup a TACTILE TRANSDUCER SYSTEM, looking forward to getting feedback from experienced users and people who have setup their systems, with low to high end budgets on 80/20 or 120/40 (basically Aluminium/ Aluminum Extrusion Rigs/Cockpits) SimRigs.

*** are there specific locations which work best on AluExtrusion Rigs? (4x corners? under pedals? under seat? other locations?

SimVibe Software: http://simxperience.com/en-us/products/simvibe/simvibesoftware.aspx
Requirements:
  1. Hardware:
    • rubber feet? plastic feet? wires/ cables? connectors? AluRig mounting plates?
  2. External Sounds Cards:
    • 1x or 2x Sounds Cards? (specific brand?)
  3. Amplifier(s):
    • 1x or 2x Amps? (Emotiva? iNuke?)
  4. Bass Transducers
    • 2x/4x/6x/8x -> Clark Synthesis? ButtKickers? Bass Shakers?
thank you all for your help in advance.

Hi, maybe consider the TST209 available only from Parts Express as it can be mounted vertically.
It's much more affordable than the TST 329 Gold that also is suited for vertical.
TST 209

This isn't as strong as the Mini LFE for low end (doesn't need to be in this role) but will produce the detail and works well with engine role to enhance harmonics and audible engine tones. Alternatively, you could try the ADX for the mid/high frequencies too, but it won't produce the audible sound in the way the TST models do.

They can be TV volume level so not loud but certainly audible.

Do consider as these TST can also work well not just as a secondary unit role but also combined with using "audio tactile". This can easily be mixed in with the Simvibe EM soundcard (using aux input). I got @DesKane to do this with my old TST239 and test the Audi S1 in Assetto Corsa. As an example this gives plenty of engine/transmission detail from the "audio tactile" not possible in Simvibe and seems to easily handle outputting both the Simvibe EM effects with the "audio tactile" simultaneously.

Worth trying but each user to their own preferences.
Hope it helps

Wow Mr. Latte, you really know your stuff. So I'm hoping you can maybe help me out too?!?!?

I've read through your stuff and have a very basic comprehension of what you're saying. Where I'm at now is I'm in the phase of planning a racing sim rig with an Obutto Revolution and all I know for certain is that I want a Buttkicker LFE under the seat, as this is what I inferred you seem to think would be the best to begin (is this correct?). Where I'm stuck now is that I am very confused by max/continuous ratings and finding appropriate amps.

So...

1. Is the Buttkicker LFE the best option as my first transducer/introduction to SimVibe? If so, is the iNuke NU1000DSP an appropriate amp for this? The max is only 1000W which I'm okay with, but I don't want to harm the amp by making it try to keep up with the LFE's 1500W max. Is this correct?

2. My budget for SimVibe setup is about $1200, but would be okay with spending only $500 on the LFE and NU1000DSP if this was the best bang for my buck. Do you recommend adding a Clark TST239 Silver to my pedals while I'm at it (like is it worth another $500 above the LFE)? Can I use another iNuke for this? Could I also add a TST209 to my shifter and utilize both channels on the iNuke amp? I have zero experience with amps and don't even know if you can dial down power so that I could use only 100W of the 300W per channel for each Clark transducer. I think this was evident in the "is this correct?" question in number one (sort of along the same line).

3. To complicate things further, I was planning on using high-end closed headphones for my sound (Sennheiser Game Zero's with a GSX 1200 amp). Do you think that Clarks would be a waste because they also produce audible sound which would be lost? Or do the Clarks not produce the sound (thus only shake) because I will be running Simvibe? Would you recommend I scrap the headphone idea and get a good speaker setup instead (if so, any suggestions?)? My primary concern is engine noise and feeling it throughout my body, don't particularly care about "preciseness" or "clarity" of tire squeal.

Thanks so much in advance!

Upvote 0
Thats a lot tot cover mate, best to do it by creating your own thread and not have more and more folk start to jump onto @rocafella1978 own thread here. I kinda went off on my own thing earlier too which maybe I shouldn't as not my thread.

Also consider your own thread and getting the advice from several others, not just my own views would be refreshing.

If you read over part of this thread and the new EM Vs CM it should give you plenty of ideas on what amps I myself recommend for the different BK models. I very much doubt you would find it comfortable with the biggest LFE at max amplifier wattage. Its not just about the strength of the slam as much as the quality of the slam and the detail of other frequencies.

I hope others try and then comment on some of my own suggestions, it makes things much better when more are involved or find common experiences/configs or settings etc that feel good.

If its worth me, doing more threads then yes I could do one that covers cables/connectors and many of the audio terminology that is used to better highlight or explain general things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your post above made me want to rethink getting a TST239 for RPM, but on amazon i saw this in the specs: The TST239 is not approved for vertical mounting
In the Clark Synthesis transducer installation guide it says that the "TST239,TST329 and AW339 are designed to be mounted in any orientation."Horizontal and vertical."The TST429 is designed to be mounted in horizontal orientation only."

Upvote 0
In the Clark Synthesis transducer installation guide it says that the "TST239,TST329 and AW339 are designed to be mounted in any orientation."Horizontal and vertical."The TST429 is designed to be mounted in horizontal orientation only."

Can you show a link or image of this as there is however still confusion...
In a recent discussion with @signman I believe he queried this with Parts Express with my concerns. He was told it was okay for vertical installation.

To be clear, the older PDF manuals used to state the TST 239 Silver model was NOT suitable for vertical orientation.

See Here

I don't know "what or when" changes were made to the actual unit. Or if the original PDF were incorrect. So some care should be taken if someone buys an old 2nd hand model from ebay etc.

However if the current models from Parts Express are fine but STILL look at the PDF on their website.

See Here

Can you please show the unit now ships from Parts Express with "different" or updated instructions that confirm vertical installation. If so, they still have not bothered to update the PDF linked on the products page or make reference to this at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can you show a link or image of this as there is however still confusion...
In a recent discussion with @signman I believe he queried this with Parts Express with my concerns. He was told it was okay for vertical installation.

To be clear, the older PDF manuals used to state the TST 239 Silver model was NOT suitable for vertical orientation.

See Here

I don't know "what or when" changes were made to the actual unit. Or if the original PDF were incorrect. So some care should be taken if someone buys an old 2nd hand model from ebay etc.

However if the current models from Parts Express are fine but STILL look at the PDF on their website.

See Here

Can you please show the unit now ships from Parts Express with "different" or updated instructions that confirm vertical installation. If so, they still have not bothered to update the PDF linked on the products page or make reference to this at all.

Attachments

• Clark Synthesis maual page.pdf
    580.8 KB · Views: 162
Upvote 0
I have two TST239's bought off amazon and arrived last week.
This idea of combining say - a buttkicker - with something like the Clark Synthesis to experience more of a full range is really interesting. What are people's thoughts purely on a combination placement of both? I don't mean super specifically but rather just 'seat, peddle, etc.'
What would a combination set up look like? Say maybe 4 buttkickers, one in each corner of the rig, and then 1 Clarke Synthesis at pedals? 1 buttkicker under the seat, or other way around? Or even both under the seat, or something different all together. I really like this idea and think if you could spend some time with the set up, you could get some very clear, accurate results.
What are people's thoughts on combination set ups and locations? What have you, or would you do?

Upvote 0
TST 239

Mounted like this for a few months ..no issues.

I did check with the supplier Parts Express and at first they said only fit horizontal.
They got back to me after I showed them the latest PDF and confirmed it was OK to fit in this position.

Warranty is void outside of USA anyway.
Awesome piece of tactile it is too..Thank you Mr. Latte !

TST Seat REAR.jpg

Upvote 0
This idea of combining say - a buttkicker - with something like the Clark Synthesis to experience more of a full range is really interesting. What are people's thoughts purely on a combination placement of both? I don't mean super specifically but rather just 'seat, peddle, etc.'

What would a combination set up look like? Say maybe 4 buttkickers, one in each corner of the rig, and then 1 Clarke Synthesis at pedals? 1 buttkicker under the seat, or other way around? Or even both under the seat, or something different all together. I really like this idea and think if you could spend some time with the set up, you could get some very clear, accurate results.
What are people's thoughts on combination set ups and locations? What have you, or would you do?

You only have to look or ask what some guys are already using or on their way to gradually building towards. Unfortunately the whole "Simvibe CM Vs EM Thread" did not go as planned, it was meant at the time to have "Input" from users of the various configurations and discussion based on sharing the pros/cons of EM Vs CM from a "Simvibe" perspective. People like the OP here are sometimes confused what models to get or what configuration to go for.

I raised the question of "Quality Vs Quantity" and wanted to see how the community would feel about such. They didn't really come forward and while I never really came back to this thread with my own conclusions.

Let me perhaps share some now....

Basically, (imho) for immersion, "quality" trumps "quantity".

I would say a Simvibe based cockpit using 8x Mini LFE on individual channels over 2x soundcards with 4x stereo amps would be outperformed in the enjoyment of immersion by what we could achieve using much less..........

A "Dual Role" tactile configuration operating two specific units (each for what they bring) and having these in both the seat and pedals. Covering the backside, thighs, feet and importantly, spinal regions.

Using only, 2 stereo amps and 1 soundcard.
Also costing considerably less as well.

2x BK Advance or 2x BK LFE
2x TST 239 or higher TST based models

Chassis For The Masses?
Some things I have discovered chatting or helping people over the years and feedback they have shared. Along with my own tests and monitoring.

I would say that "Stereo Effects" seem, less important to some users than the quality or performance of the felt impact. For instance, instead of feeling a Mini LFE on the left/right hand sides for front/rear individually. They prefer the added strength and immersion of more than one unit or channel being active. Also it would surprise you how many people feeling more than one channel active to not really realise they are not experiencing fully working directional stereo.

So, what if instead, the user felt no directional sensation but now we opted to give a richer and deeper bass sensation also with more detail from two units. With these applied in the seat and pedals. What will appear as more immersive?

The purpose of "Chassis Mode" is to bring stereo directional tactile sensations per wheel. It also can deliver the same effect from multiple channels to give multi-channel based sensation. If combined for the full monty using "Extensions Mode" then this allows a user to enable effects to a specific area or device (shifter).

Channel Activity
While variations/instances can be found for the operating channels, in general with multiple effects operating the rear channels mainly mimic the front stereo channels, we do not see great differences between the front and rear stereo pairs. Often a single left front wheel/bump will activate sensation in the rear right. Likewise, a right front will activate sensation in the rear left based on the telemetry data for the used axsis.

Of course both left wheels for front/rear on the grass will be felt on the left channels but we can find that some bumps will also be felt on the opposite side. This I believe is down to the operations or settings within the software and when telemetry values are generated over a "specific value" then, the effect is sent to both channels for left/right.

Directional Disappointment?
I see this also as a current issue in SSW in that some bumps for a single wheel transfer over to the opposite wheel. Yet it seems often, even rather small bumps can cause this when a larger or harder impact would be expected for such to occur. I personally find it a tad annoying as it degrades the stereo placement. It may of course also come down to variations for specific sims or cars in how this is applied. Their are so many factors here.

Channel Operation / Feel It / See It / Confrim It
Although in Simvibe I did however find improved working stereo possible when using less sensitivity. I monitored/recorded bump activity with various settings to confirm the channel activity for the stereo separation. I did not rely just on feel to determine this. The real-time channel monitoring perfectly shows the channel activity for any used or all used effects over all 8 channels.

Having my own goals I invested in hardware/software and I spent hours monitoring many of Simvibes effects in the past. Additionally, with Simvibe the amount of effects operating in actual stereo is not shared by SimXperience and if anything they give very little information on many of the effects and settings true operation. It was the lack of information and detail that lead me to do my own testing and monitoring.

Whats Working In Stereo?
For stereo operation, it appears such is reduced to the suspension effects. Even with these, high sensitivity user settings can alter or diminish the quality of the stereo separation with channel crosstalk happening as covered above. While we may want some sensation to transverse over from one side to the other, the whole point is for the user to feel distinctive directional positioning of the individual channels/wheels. So as things are it's not perfect.

Other Effects:
Some of the most active or enjoyable effects like Roadbumps are not per wheel based. To my understanding, they operate in mono over all channels being used. Damage is another that is highly disappointing as you cannot get directional damage to a single channel or directional quadrant.

Thoughts:
This then brings the point I raised, "quantity" vs "quality"
Will multiple Mini LFE outperform the immersion of better/improved units used in unison?

Therefore while Chassis Mode can bring enjoyable directional effects it does so with limitations and it certainly can come at a high price with limited increase to the overall immersion. Even then some users still prefer the added sensation of more than one unit operating and trading this for loss of stereo activity.

So really what it comes down to is that Chassis Mode can deliver "some" stereo directional effects but multiple smaller units operating with many more selected effects "working in mono" may not outperform the alternative proposed, In using two specifically selected units combined to deliver greater low-end energy and detail.

Of course such then raises the question, what if a user implements "Dual Role" in seat or pedals but then also combines it with "Chassis Mode" and even using higher-end models than the Mini LFE? Why greater than a Mini LFE you may ask? The reason is that then, the Chassis Mode individual operating channel with stereo effects, still delivers a powerful and more impactful sensation than what the smaller Mini unit can deliver.

This is what some have already done or are already on the path to doing here at RD Forums. In such cases, the user can then feel the benefits of a "Dual Role" installation but also get the directional effects they may seek after.

Own Ideas:
I still have my own idea of pushing things a bit further and using "Dual Role" over the 4 main channels. So instead of 2x Dual Role sets have 4x. This means any effects stereo or mono are delivered with the most low end and highest detail.

My aim is to install my 4x BK LFE and using 4x of the highest end TST model.
I cant install 2 better units for the overall felt tactile.

Then only having 1xTST on the Cen & Sub channels for pedals and seat. These can be used in specific ways for certain effects. So in total my vision is a 10x channel tactile configuration. Yet operating as a 6 channel. This I guess is using "more of more" but it brings its own challenges regards installation particulary for the pedals and have them all working satisfactorily to a high level of detail and immersion yet still delivering stereo activity.

However, I seek in my own build to reduce the limitations or compromises and push the boundaries of what tactile can bring. SSW has brought us the ability to create more specific effects, (building audio-waveforms) rather than Simvibes tone generation features and lack of information about their true operation. However one of the biggest advantages for me personally is proper activity happening with the front/back axis. Making acceleration and in particular deceleration and braking much more satisfying and immersive. Also the sensation of wheelslip combined with Lateral G that gives the user much more sensation of the cars handling.

(edit more detail added 15/01/18)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The above post is really awesome Rod.

I personally think stereo is very important, more immersion than just crash bang wallop.

Once I discovered running filtering around 20% in bumps it gave me stereo effect and made the experience
better again.

Upvote 0
The above post is really awesome Rod.

I personally think stereo is very important, more immersion than just crash bang wallop.

Once I discovered running filtering around 20% in bumps it gave me stereo effect and made the experience
better again.

Hey, can you tell me the car you used to get working stereo bumps/buffets at 20%?
How did you confirm stereo was properly operating?

My own build is to be built around providing excellent stereo tactile. So how well it is operating is important for me. I can get pretty good stereo in SSW but it currently has drawbacks/flaws from what I can see.

Some I have not even yet shared...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've had some very strange things happen at times in SSW.

Last night for instance while in rfactor2 when I looked at my SSW slider's after a stint I noticed
Engine had gone from 50% to 100% AND WAS UNCHECKED !?!?

Also when I quite the game on occasion my tactile is still rumbling away.

In Assetto have found 20% filtering in bumps and 15% in wheel slip feel nice in my rig.
RSS Listor Storm.

Turned my LFE/TST amp off ..man it sucked.
That big LFE under the seat and TST on the rear of the seat really are the icing on the cake.

Upvote 0
I've had some very strange things happen at times in SSW.

Last night for instance while in rfactor2 when I looked at my SSW slider's after a stint I noticed
Engine had gone from 50% to 100% AND WAS UNCHECKED !?!?

Also when I quite the game on occasion my tactile is still rumbling away.

In Assetto have found 20% filtering in bumps and 15% in wheel slip feel nice in my rig.
RSS Listor Storm.

Turned my LFE/TST amp off ..man it sucked.
That big LFE under the seat and TST on the rear of the seat really are the icing on the cake.

Were going off topic but quickly let me ask and say something...

Is that mainly in rFactor2?
I have noticed the odd time in AC that an effect can go into a spasm and not stop but for me it's very rare with that title. Although Ive had similar in Simvibe in the past so it may be more title or windows related.

SSW Stereo Tests:
I do not see stereo operating properly at 20% in testing several cars with AC using my monitoring tools. You can test this yourself by disconnecting your "Speakon" connector for the front left and rear left channels.

Then power off your TST/LFE cen/sub channel units, leaving only the front and rear right active.

Select a car and track and place only the left wheels on various curbs or bumbs. Try this at various speeds too, watch the log data. Do you see right bump effect listed and its value?

You will feel bumps on the right hand operating tactile. Compare this to when at @ 70% it will either have no response or only some. Surely for good operating stereo we need smaller bumps not to transfer over but expect some with larger bump values.

At present the opposite channel of the impact/bump seems too or over sensitive, even if it is moving it is creating seemingly identical strength to the side of the actual bump. Running at 70% for me helps the stereo but at the cost of losing then bump activity.

Nobody seemed to raise this issue, yet there is also another issue regards bumps that nobody seems to of noticed or mentioned that I see. Although, lets leave this for a later time .

We both know how good SSW can feel but it still can be improved....:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes rf2 Rod.
As you say maybe more Windows related.

I will do your test !

I am trying to convince a Simvibe user in the States to try SSW.
He is using Mini BK's !

He has said he finds Simvibe 'Clunky' to use.

Upvote 0
Alright, well tonight I'll be doing some testing for Mr. Latte between my two Buttkicker LFE's located below the seat on the outside of the frame (left and right singularly) in chassis mode, as well as my Buttkicker Gamer 2 located under my seat (not directly attached to the seat itself but rather a runner just below the seat), running in extension mode. I'll take some pictures tonight after the tests and post them up so we have a reference point for what's happening.
I will say that - as of now anyway - I'm really dissatisfied with BG2's performance. Whilst not super understanding of Simvibe setups, I am aware of not muddying the waters with too many effects, so I thought I'd keep it super simple with BG2 and add engine and gear changes. Unfortunately, either the amps power or the placement seems to be impeding any quality performance. The gear changes are barely noticeable and the engine revs are weak. I should say that I have it right on the limit of no clipping, and I can get the gear changes and engine revs to feel good (not talking accuracy at this stage), but of course each gear change and engine rev comes with a bright red clipping light.
So maybe this can be fixed, maybe this is a reasonably expensive lesson in quality.

Let's so how the testing goes tonight and I may also look into some of the settings Mr. Latte discussed prior regarding 'dual roles'.

It's very early stages for me of course but already learning a lot. I think the next step from here would be replacing the BG2 with - at the very least - one Clark Synthesis but most probably two.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back