Sim Racing Gloves?

• Deleted member 197115

Puma

Karting shoes
I didn't like Future Cat and sent them back, don't remember if it was the design, inflexible sole, or both.
Kept Drift Cat 5.
Nice karting shoes you linked, I really wanted to like Oakley, they looked badass, but sole was pretty stiff and I felt that my feet suffocated in them.
AplineStars, they had thin sole but was hard to get into and were just ridiculous to wear around the house, and had the same issue with restricted breath-ability.
Seems like real racing gloves work better for simracing than racing footwear, except few exceptions.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Upvote 0
Seems like real racing gloves work better for simracing than racing footwear, except few exceptions.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was skeptical about needing "real" racing gloves for simming, but it seems like a number of you swear by those series 7 Karting gloves. So I ordered a pair in red :) Ordered through Sparco so it may be a little while before they get here.

You've mentioned the number of hours you spend in your rig, and the way that you immediately tossed the Hypergrips aside, left an impression. I'm guessing I'll like the Karting gloves better too.

I already like my Puma's a lot and I know the size in a Puma that fits me well. Everyone says they run small. I don't have a wide foot so I'm only half a size larger in a Puma and I still only use fairly thin socks with it. So I ordered a set of those Ferrari Drift Cat 5's. That was an impulse buy. I just loved the look of them and they are red like the gloves I ordered. Got to be color coordinated in VR :D

Puma calls them a "Moto-inspired Sneaker" rather than an actual racing shoe.

Upvote 0
I have this
They are very adherent and I use them with a leather steering wheel

And this
they are softer and I use them with my superquadro omp suede

Upvote 0
I was skeptical about needing "real" racing gloves for simming, but it seems like a number of you swear by those series 7 Karting gloves. So I ordered a pair in red :) Ordered through Sparco so it may be a little while before they get here.

You've mentioned the number of hours you spend in your rig, and the way that you immediately tossed the Hypergrips aside, left an impression. I'm guessing I'll like the Karting gloves better too.

I already like my Puma's a lot and I know the size in a Puma that fits me well. Everyone says they run small. I don't have a wide foot so I'm only half a size larger in a Puma and I still only use fairly thin socks with it. So I ordered a set of those Ferrari Drift Cat 5's. That was an impulse buy. I just loved the look of them and they are red like the gloves I ordered. Got to be color coordinated in VR :D

Puma calls them a "Moto-inspired Sneaker" rather than an actual racing shoe.

I think you will like them :) While I went more expensive than many with the sparco gloves I can tell you where I did cheap out that you asked about and that was with the shoes!

I have always been a sock racer, I cant do it with my sneaker/running shoes as they are too big and I dont like the thick soles.

So I went with the really cheap beach shoes. I dont really need shoes for the braking even though I am a heavy braker but my issue is that the back of my foot that rests on the thick piece of aluminium my pedals are mounted to get sore after a while, so I need a little padding.

So this is what I use. easy to get in and out of and the soles are thin so that I still get the feeling on the pedals I like.

Also called aqua socks and should only cost a couple of coffee's
https://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/p/hh-mens-oxcar-aqua-socks/R2201436.html

Upvote 0
I have tried the Sparco ones and I do not like them because they are very thick and I lose a lot of sensations, they have double layers being the inside of cotton and I notice loss of grip.

Now I am using Minus 273 and they are awesome to me, the silicone palm grips much more than Sparco's, they are much fresher, thinner and lighter. They are very tight so a larger size is needed.

Look at the wrist folds to see the differences in thickness
Minus 273 Zero Fluo
Sparco Arrow 7 Red

Upvote 0
I'm just waiting for someone to say how much they love these for sim racing ;)

fivefingersshoes.jpg

or maybe one of these..

mjglove.jpg

It's obvious that people have many opinions about gloves and shoes that work for them.

BTW this is not an attack on anyone's driving wear of choice. I just saying opinions seem to be all over the map.

Upvote 0
I just find whatever is good for karting has been good for me sim racing.
No idea if the more expensive racing gloves and boots would add longevity as I found my blue suede sparco kart boots have fallen apart in spectacular fashion.
They were abused during real karting though so it was only a matter of time.
I am considering getting some new pumas for sim racing now though

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I just find whatever is good for karting has been good for me sim racing.
No idea if the more expensive racing gloves and boots would add longevity as I found my blue suede sparco kart boots have fallen apart in spectacular fashion.
They were abused during real karting though so it was only a matter of time.
I am considering getting some new pumas for sim racing now though
My understanding is that karting stuff is same quality as racing minus fire retardant treatment/materials/certification, thus cheaper.

Upvote 0
Apparently my other Puma's of the exact same size 43 are larger in every way. These Drift shoes are tiny. I guess Puma's are not consistently sized.

I could get them on and the soles feel better than the shoes I've got. They are thin from the ball of the foot forward and offer more arch support.

Same size from the same manufacturer. The reports of these being narrow shoes is no exaggeration!

Fortunately I ordered through Amazon, these are going back and new larger pair is coming in a couple days.
For some reason the larger size is cheaper so they are refunding me some money too.
20191210_210600.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I tried a set of these on at Lowe's yesterday and they seemed like they might work well for sim racing at $10. If they had my size I would have bought a pair. They're very stretchy and light but nitrile dipped on the palm so pretty grippy there while still being extremely thin. I don't know how they would hold up, but they look promising.

Upvote 0
Update on the shoes and gloves. For starters the first set of shoes were too small. I returned them for a larger set of shoes which were still too small and I returned them for a larger set of shoes and finally they fit well :) Funny since I ordered the first set of shoes in the same size as my first set of Puma's.

The gloves still feel great. They are warmer than my Hypergrips, but I still like them more. I've had a bit of white flaking off of them, but I can't see any areas where the silicone is coming off. That sort of has me stumped unless the while silicone areas are layered.

Won my first race with the new shoes, even if I did bump a guy in front of me out on a corner. I do like them better than my last shoes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Prizes

• Trophies