Sim Lab P1-X not shipping to US... Alternatives?

Hey guys, I am new to sim racing... haven't even put down a lap yet. Just ordered a bunch of stuff and am gonna dive in head first!

I am in the United States and unfortunately it seems like I can't get the Sim Lab P1-X due to the recent coronavirus stuff. I'm anxious to get started racing so I don't want to wait weeks to order it, but I also don't want to settle for a rig I won't be happy with.

I bought the Fanatec DD2 wheel base and I plan on getting some decent pedals. I want the best experience possible (short of buying a motion simulator) and don't want my rig flexing or wobbling at all. I was going to get the rSeat S1 but it looks like that won't fully be able to handle the DD2? From what I'm seeing, it looks like options are much more limited for us over here in the states.

Anyone have any suggestions? -- Thanks!

Using front wheel mount on SC2 and thing is rock solid, not sure how one can have "flex" on it.

It's solid, but not as solid as it can be made. No single extrusion, no matter how wide or hefty, can eliminate all flex when bent as a lever (as the wheel deck will be at the uprights). The only way to lock that down is by triangulation. My buddy has the P1x. Sit in the seat, and flex the wheel (with a good DD setup like the OSW Mige). It will show a small flex in the wheel mounting setup. Comparing our rigs, you can most certainly see the difference.

There's no custom-machined pieces on my rig at all. All just clever use of 8020 stuff, plus reuse of the pedal plate from my old RSeat N1 rig. Even that wasn't strictly necessary. You can mount the HPP pedals directly to the extrusions if wanted.

A friend of mine duplicated my design on his rig and SFX setup. He's got a blog page listing the 8020 parts needed (along with all the other parts for his SFX build). He's got it all documented, around $700 or so for everything. I'll try to find the link to his blog and post it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Keep in mind that you will need to improvise with stock 80/20 brackets and plates to replicate some of the geometry of the SimLabs rigs. They have done some very smart things with their upright joining plates. The SimLabs P1 adjustable pedal plate would be very nice to have, but I believe they only sell it to owners of the older rigs as an upgrade.

I have sourced many 80/20 extrusions, plates and fasteners directly from their Indiana factory. If you download 80/20 CAD files, you will soon have local distributors calling you which could be a slight cost savings plus saving on freight which gets expensive with heavy parcels or over length profiles.

I have also bought stock snd custom parts via Ebay auction and "buy it now" on their 80/20 Ebay Garage Sale. Often there are lightly used or blemished parts for about 30% off MSRP. In my experience, part functionality is 100% the same and the small nicks or scratches are barely perceptible.

Also look at OSR Sim Racing from Canada which sells 80/20 plans and CAD files for plates and brackets which can be taken to a local metal shop to be fabricated. If I recall correctly, OSR works with 80/20 and can supply you with a Bill of Materials (BOM) for fasteners and profiles. I bought a wheel plate from Steve at OSR and he even added a custom drill pattern so I could use both Fanatec and Thrustmaster wheels. OSR also has some really cool options for DD wheel mounting.

Tnutz is a cheaper alternative to 80/20 in the US, but their fastening methods and variety of connectors is limited compared to 80/20.

Good luck and Godspeed!

Upvote 0
I'd love to see that "cheaper" calculus, and how all these custom machined pieces like pedal tray, wheel deck, shifter mount, uprights mounting plates, etc. get fabricated.

Using front wheel mount on SC2 and thing is rock solid, not sure how one can have "flex" on it.
Never heard anyone complaining about this P1X system, I imagine everything is cut with a water jet + fabrication looks rock solid,
Even the review on the HE Simrig the guy was complaining with the screens shaking on triples, moving about, I think unless you bolt something down to the ground everything will have some slight movement, I still want the P1X anyways if they can deliver, I would love to build my own but can imagine getting sidetracked in 3ds max a few days and end up with a rollcage so best to stay clear,

I have looked all websites with this stuff and SimLabs additional extras are by far the best anywhere on the internet,
Buttkicker mounts I need 6, gear shift, keyboard trays, all direct drive mounts, everything in one place + cable management stuff which a lot of people tend to miss out, it’s a great shop!

Upvote 0
Just build your own from 8020 parts. They're easily gotten in the US (8020 has a huge eBay store). It will be cheaper, and your rig will be more sturdy. As nice as the P1x is, it's still got a tiny bit of movement in the wheel deck. You can purchase 8020 articulated joints, and build a rig with a triangulated wheel deck that's as solid as an anvil. Looks good, too.

J6aT8i1.jpg

RiYWnzm.jpg

WwKsA4Q.jpg
That looks sick! I'm afraid that might be out of my league though. I'm sure I could build it, but I wouldn't have the first clue what parts to order.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

It's solid, but not as solid as it can be made. No single extrusion, no matter how wide or hefty, can eliminate all flex when bent as a lever (as the wheel deck will be at the uprights). The only way to lock that down is by triangulation. My buddy has the P1x. Sit in the seat, and flex the wheel (with a good DD setup like the OSW Mige). It will show a small flex in the wheel mounting setup. Comparing our rigs, you can most certainly see the difference.

There's no custom-machined pieces on my rig at all. All just clever use of 8020 stuff, plus reuse of the pedal plate from my old RSeat N1 rig. Even that wasn't strictly necessary. You can mount the HPP pedals directly to the extrusions if wanted.
I meant custom pieces in P1X that simplify the design and make the construction more elegant and sturdy. You did not account for them.

There is zero flex, none, with front mounting bracket solution, not sure about deck, you might be right on that one.

1588787843070.png

Upvote 0
That looks sick! I'm afraid that might be out of my league though. I'm sure I could build it, but I wouldn't have the first clue what parts to order.
You’ll spend more time researching and looking for parts, designing everything, looking 20 websites for all the pieces and correct things you need,
When all said and done the small amount of money you saved will cost you more in R&D,

Buying 1 premade which is generic or building your own which would be more satisfying?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice. I'll check out 4Play on Ebay. I definitely don't mind waiting for the P1-X but I can't get an email back from the company to find out when they'll be getting any in stock.

I just bought these pedals and I'll likely be waiting for those to come in anyways so maybe it doesn't hurt to wait on the P1-X. http://www.hppsimulation.com/hpp-3-pedal/43-phtv2p.html

One more question for you - Have you heard of anyone trying something like this? Or should I go ahead and abandon that idea?
Hey Adam,
I’m in the exact same boat, but I’m going to wait until Sim-Lab is shipping the P1-X’s. I’m ordering the Simucube 2 Pro with a Cube Controls Formula CSX-2 wheel, so I can’t see spending a lot of money and mounting gear to something less than what I originally envisioned. Who knows, maybe by then there will be some new stuff coming on the market
Cheers from Chicago.
Eric

Upvote 0
Hey Adam,
I’m in the exact same boat, but I’m going to wait until Sim-Lab is shipping the P1-X’s. I’m ordering the Simucube 2 Pro with a Cube Controls Formula CSX-2 wheel, so I can’t see spending a lot of money and mounting gear to something less than what I originally envisioned. Who knows, maybe by then there will be some new stuff coming on the market
Cheers from Chicago.
Eric
Nice man! You plan on playing iRacing? Maybe we will be in a few races together as we move through the ranks!

Reactions: CC
Upvote 0
You’ll spend more time researching and looking for parts, designing everything, looking 20 websites for all the pieces and correct things you need,
When all said and done the small amount of money you saved will cost you more in R&D,

Buying 1 premade which is generic or building your own which would be more satisfying?
Agree 100%. I don't gain much satisfaction building my own, personally. I just wanna get the best build I can and start racing. I'd rather spend time researching other parts or racing techniques or anything else I like doing, rather than spending dozens of hours figuring out how to piece together metal.

Upvote 0
FWIW. My P1-X should be arriving on Monday 5/11 (California). Was part of the 4/17 order block. Shipped on 5/7. Next order block opens today/tomorrow - get on it and you should have your rig by ealry/mid June.

Edit: Not sure how quickly the 4/17 block sold out, but was able to take advantage of the time difference between here and the Netherlands to put in the order on 4/16 before I went to bed (morning there). If you want to get an order in, then recommend doing the same tonight - also make sure to order all of the components/accessories that you may want at the same time. There is a lot of demand for these rigs and the order blocks are only open for 1 day per month right now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
FWIW. My P1-X should be arriving on Monday 5/11 (California). Was part of the 4/17 order block. Shipped on 5/7. Next order block opens today/tomorrow - get on it and you should have your rig by ealry/mid June.
Thanks for the info! I am going to try to order first thing tomorrow (will watch today too to see if it opens up). Hopefully I can get in!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info! I am going to try to order first thing tomorrow (will watch today too to see if it opens up). Hopefully I can get in!
Do you remember around what time the orders opened up? Right now it says they'll start accepting orders tomorrow. I'm wondering if that'll open up at midnight (their time zone) or if they'll just open it some time tomorrow. Just want to make sure I don't miss out on this batch.

Upvote 0

Edit: Not sure how quickly the 4/17 block sold out, but was able to take advantage of the time difference between here and the Netherlands to put in the order on 4/16 before I went to bed (morning there). If you want to get an order in, then recommend doing the same tonight - also make sure to order all of the components/accessories that you may want at the same time. There is a lot of demand for these rigs and the order blocks are only open for 1 day per month right now.
Do you remember around what time the orders opened up? Right now it says they'll start accepting orders tomorrow. I'm wondering if that'll open up at midnight (their time zone) or if they'll just open it some time tomorrow. Just want to make sure I don't miss out on this batch.

Edit: Ok I just saw your edit. I will definitely make sure I put in the order right away this evening! Thanks a bunch man. Very helpful. Wish me luck!

Upvote 0

Would you suggest the integrated triple monitor mount? Or the freestanding one?

Upvote 0
Current events have definitely shifted people's priorities and made already hard to find sim racing gear even more scarce. All i can say is there a reason why all the good stuff is sold out , doing this for a few years and going through thousands of $$$ in trying new equipment all I can say is if youre really going to be into sim racing, all that stuff will be worth the wait.

Upvote 0
Would you suggest the integrated triple monitor mount? Or the freestanding one?
I want the integrated ones, but looking at the HE Simrig reviews there will be some shake slightly to the screens when driving, where has the freestanding ones like I have now there is 0 shake at all when driving,
Suppose a little shake n bake never hurt anyone, does look more sexy the integrated.

Upvote 0
Id do the free standing one, thats the one im going to order once they open up the site. From experience you'll want to shift where the screens are sometimes purely depending on mood lol

I actually have a simetik k2 and decided to go with the Sim Lab free standing one rather than their integrated mount to give me flexibility with positioning and where in the room the whole rig will end up being. just my 2 cents

Upvote 0
Id do the free standing one, thats the one im going to order once they open up the site. From experience you'll want to shift where the screens are sometimes purely depending on mood lol

I actually have a simetik k2 and decided to go with the Sim Lab free standing one rather than their integrated mount to give me flexibility with positioning and where in the room the whole rig will end up being. just my 2 cents
Yeah what I do is just slide my seat backwards or forwards depending if I’m working or racing but now way I’d start moving and dragging screens about :D

Upvote 0
Current events have definitely shifted people's priorities and made already hard to find sim racing gear even more scarce. All i can say is there a reason why all the good stuff is sold out , doing this for a few years and going through thousands of $$$ in trying new equipment all I can say is if youre really going to be into sim racing, all that stuff will be worth the wait.
Thanks for the input. That is good to hear, as this wait is extremely annoying! Glad to know it will pay off

Upvote 0

I think I will go for the free-standing one just to avoid any possible shake.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea