Share your VR graphic settings

45 im afraid :(
Even with my 1080Ti trying for 90 is a loosing battle unless blurry low quality visuals are ok with you .
Hopefully Kunos have some magic optimisation that is available for UE4 !

So, after a couple of hours this morning, reading things about sharpening temporal anti aliasing, upscaling temporal anti aliasing and so on, i edited my settings in engine.ini again.

I deleted tonemapper.sharpen and replaced it with temporalaasharpen. It produces sharp textures without the edge artifacts that Tonemapper.Sharpen does. Here is a good example for tonemapper.sharpen 2.5 vs temporal aa sharpen 2.5: https://imgsli.com/MDc1OA

I also added upsampling. In my opinion it gives me a clearer view.

Sources: https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/rendering/125798-temporal-aa-sharpening
https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Engine/Rendering/ScreenPercentage#temporalanti-aliasingupsample

Here are my settings. In my opinion i got a sharper view, but the temporal aa also works nice in distance. It`s a natural view, i think. Would like to hear your opinions about it.

[ConsoleVariables]
r.Upscale.Quality=1
r.TemporalAA.Upsampling=1
r.TemporalAASharpen=4
r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.15
r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1
r.TemporalAAPauseCorrect=1
r.TemporalAASamples=4
r.SeparateTranslucency=0
r.HZBOcclusion=0
vr.PixelDensity=1.4
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.PostProcessAAQuality=4
r.BloomQuality=0
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=0
r.SSR.Quality=1
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.SceneColorFormat=3
r.TranslucencyVolumeBlur=0
r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=48
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.FastBlurThreshold=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.1
r.RHICmdBypass=0
r.DetailMode=1
r.RefractionQuality=2
r.MaterialQualityLevel=1
sg.ShadowQuality=2
r.MipMapLODBias=-0.5
r.Streaming.MipBias=-0.5

Ingame settings are:
accsettingsmne6e.jpg

For me this is the best settings for now. To get 90 fps for the HTC Vive i must use supersampling 1.0 and so everything is just so low res and blurred. This settings make things acceptable for such low res ss and graphic details.

45 im afraid :(
Even with my 1080Ti trying for 90 is a loosing battle unless blurry low quality visuals are ok with you .
Hopefully Kunos have some magic optimisation that is available for UE4 !

I don't think many people are getting 90fps right now unless they're maybe alone on the track on a sunny day. I've taken the route of locking it to 45fps with ASW and it looks fine, bouncing from 90fps to non-90fps is more bothersome to me than just locking it to 45fps so I've just locked it down.

For those with a standard Vive:

I can use SS 2.5 (alone on a track) and SS 2.0 with other cars and get 90 FPS.

Shadows must be low, I have also used the above settings for the engine.ini but then Pixel density must be 1.0. The rest pretty much high or medium, depending on what you want. I have also disabled mirrors because I want to see what the Unreal engine can do. I love the fact that I can tweak settings in race and check for FPS impact immediately. Huge progress comparing to AC.

There is no more stuttering, even in rain and at night.

This is now looking way better than AC on my system and hoping for just one open wheel car anytime in the future.

I think, i found the magic key for sharp textures in distance!!! You have to disable streaming textures. This means, all textures will be fully loaded by loading the game, track, car, etc. If ouy force it off, the unreal engine will not increase the texture resolution when you come nearer.

Just insert following to your engine.ini consolevariables:

r.TextureStreaming=0

In my opinion, THIS is THE key next to tonemapper.sharpen for getting a very good and sharp view in distance!
Please tell me your opinions!

Last edited:
this is my final update. I think, these are the best settings for VR in ACC. No tonemapper.sharpen. Instead of it i use temporalaasharpness=1.2 and texturestreaming=0 (off). I also added mipmaplodbias=-1 to sharpen the textures.

i hope you will be as happy as i am with these settings. Tell me, if you like it.

[ConsoleVariables]
r.TextureStreaming=0
vr.PixelDensity=1.4
r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.2
r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1
r.TemporalAASamples=4
r.TemporalAAsharpness=1.2
r.SeparateTranslucency=0
r.HZBOcclusion=0
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.PostProcessAAQuality=3
r.BloomQuality=0
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0
r.SSR.Quality=1
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.SceneColorFormat=3
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.FastBlurThreshold=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.1
r.RHICmdBypass=0
r.DetailMode=1
r.RefractionQuality=2
r.MaterialQualityLevel=1
sg.ShadowQuality=2
r.MipMapLODBias=-1
r.Streaming.MipBias=-1

I think, i found the magic key for sharp textures in distance. YOu have to disable streaming textures. This means, all textures will be fully loaded by loading the game, track, car, etc. If ouy force it off, the unreal engine will not increase the texture resolution when you come nearer.

Just insert following to your engine.ini consolevariables:

r.TextureStreaming=0

In my opinion, THIS is THE key next to tonemapper.sharpen for getting a very good and sharp view in distance!
Please tell me your opinions!

TextureStreaming=0 is a good find, thanks! Was bugging me like crazy!

About your settings, overall really good. I lowered my pixel density to 1.3, can't see a difference but a good fps boost. Also keep Shadows at mid.

So guys, i have to admit, that my settings seem to eat graphics memory like hell. So i read again about texture streaming variables and i found the variable r.Streaming.FullyLoadUsedTextures=1

I read about it here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Engine/Content/Types/Textures/Streaming/Config

These are my new full settings:

[ConsoleVariables]
r.Streaming.Boost=1
r.Streaming.FullyLoadUsedTextures=1
r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1
r.TemporalAASamples=4
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1
r.SeparateTranslucency=0
r.HZBOcclusion=0
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.PostProcessAAQuality=4
r.BloomQuality=0
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0
r.SSR.Quality=1
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.SceneColorFormat=3
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.FastBlurThreshold=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.1
r.RHICmdBypass=0
r.DetailMode=1
r.RefractionQuality=2
r.MaterialQualityLevel=1
sg.ShadowQuality=2
r.MipMapLODBias=-2

So guys, i have to admit, that my settings seem to eat graphics memory like hell. So i read again about texture streaming variables and i found the variable r.Streaming.FullyLoadUsedTextures=1

I read about it here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Engine/Content/Types/Textures/Streaming/Config

These are my new full settings:

[ConsoleVariables]
r.Streaming.Boost=1
r.Streaming.FullyLoadUsedTextures=1
r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1
r.TemporalAASamples=4
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1
r.SeparateTranslucency=0
r.HZBOcclusion=0
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.PostProcessAAQuality=4
r.BloomQuality=0
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0
r.SSR.Quality=1
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.SceneColorFormat=3
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.FastBlurThreshold=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.1
r.RHICmdBypass=0
r.DetailMode=1
r.RefractionQuality=2
r.MaterialQualityLevel=1
sg.ShadowQuality=2
r.MipMapLODBias=-2
Thanks you haven't included vr pixel density or streaming.MipBias, is that deliberate?

Thanks you haven't included vr pixel density or streaming.MipBias, is that deliberate?

Some people with a Vive had problems starting the game with vr.pixeldensity, so i deleted it. You can adjust the resolution scale ingame. With streaming.mipbias i could not see any difference. But i added it again with r.streaming.mipbias=3 and it seems to work very smoothly now. Just testing and adding variables. I`m no programmer, just a normal guy who tests some UE variables for the last 3 days. :-D

Some people with a Vive had problems starting the game with vr.pixeldensity, so i deleted it. You can adjust the resolution scale ingame. With streaming.mipbias i could not see any difference. But i added it again with r.streaming.mipbias=3 and it seems to work very smoothly now. Just testing and adding variables. I`m no programmer, just a normal guy who tests some UE variables for the last 3 days. :-D

And we appreciate it :)

Your setting on post #47 were a stutter fest for me and my Rift despite having a 1080 (where those on page 1 worked great).
I will try these new ones.

It can be started but it causes stuttering which is clear, because with a Vive and SteamVR supersampling is managed otherwise and both settings together must cause a huge performance issue. I will test your new settings now and let you know later, if it works for the Vive.

Thanks will try it out

I've experimented too since my page 1 post, admit I'm eagerly awaiting how Kunos will handle graphics optimizations in general, both for monitor and VR. Nothing was really different from 0.1 to 0.2 release and no official comments on what to expect on November 14th in that department.
I think it'll be a "mistake" to keep the community fiddling with the ini-files release after release, but maybe it's on purpose to collect all the data before doing anything about it.

I fully agree with you, Tberg.

I also hope, that Kunos got some optimizations for the graphics handling, but fiddleing around with the ini settings is some kind of challenge for me. That's just for the moment, cause i'm awaiting improvements from Kunos themselves. The Unreal Engine got tons of possibilities to raise the graphics quality and performance of ACC. And i'm sure, Kunos is going to give us a great simulation in the end. Those optimization processes have been in Early Access of AC1, too. And with every update in EA, AC1 got better and better.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%