Sell me Automobilista

The title says it all ;) please fans of this Sim, sell it to me.

To better judge my personality in terms of virtual driving, i'll tell you which comparable (in terms of content) sims i own, how i "use" them, and why i think they are all worth it, even when you own them next to each other.

1. Assetto Corsa: I use it solely as driving sim. What i like most is the believable and realistic interpretation of many iconic street cars, with their real manufacturer data. Alongside the great Force Feedback (after some .ini fiddeling), Mods, especially when it comes to the track/road/hillclimb variety. I rarely use it for racing, because the AI is **** and useless to race against, and i barely have the time (and leisure) to practise hours over hours for a single race, to compete in online racing (full of aliens, this sim). Nonetheless this is my N°1 in time spent so far - just doing track days on the Nordschleife or Road America.

2. Project Cars: I use it mostly as racing sim. One good reason: The AI. I don't deny that it sometimes has some weird moments (especially Karts), but overall it feels very alive, tries to overtake (also each other), and feels very "human" in the kind of not perfect, makes mistakes as well. Makes racing against them the most fun from all sims, in my opinion. In addition it has the best graphics, and awesome weather effects, especially rain races are a highlight. Second most played sim by myself to date.

3. Raceroom Racing experience: Used it both as hotlap and racing sim. I love the Force Feedback, the best i have ever felt with my wheel (T300). Alongside the great sound, and all those licensed classes, the immersion is great. The AI is not too bad as well, at least it tries to overtake if you are dawdling around (hello AC). However i noticed after some time that it never defends the inside corner, that makes overtaking a tad to easy, as soon as you catch up, and it also is a little bit lifeless (compared to Project Cars). I am pretty sure if i would dare to start racing online, this would be my favourite sim.
As it is R3E for me is a little caught betwixt and between, it doesn't have the variety of AC for hotlapping/driving, and not as good AI/surroundings as PC for offline racing. I still unpack it here and then, to witness the great ffb.

I also own and enjoy to race in F1 2016 and Dirt Rally, but i am not explaining in detail, since those are not really direct competition.

So after this explanation, what i want from you is to tell me, why - after already owning quite some awesome sims - i should buy Automobilista as well, and which added value i'd get over all those other sims :)
Thanks in advance

AMS is an evolution of Stock Car Extreme but honestly, I am really surprised how different and better it is after 6 months! Every aspect (physics, FFB, graphics, sounds, etc.) has been slightly improved: even if this is not much, the whole experience is better and I would not go back to SCE.
Reiza17 is the code name of the next game, that was announced even before they decided to make AMS. They since said it would rather be out Q4 2017… and that is only my impression but I would not be surprised if it comes out in 2018!
Reiza17 is supposed to be built on the same base, with a new graphic engine mainly; hopefully it will keep the same content, the same physics and FFB, the same sounds, with more eye candy (the only real downside of AMS, even if I still find the game is pretty immersive)… and with at least one more year of improvements on all the existing!
I would not wait IMHO… Just be aware that it is really race orientated: you have full series with tracks and championships, flags, cutting rules (that can be taken off offline…), etc. There is only one street car for the moment, with the 2nd one coming in the first DLC.

@Celestiale, I must have missed your preference for road cars as you mentioned how much you liked R3E which is really focused on racing. Maybe AMS wouldn't be for you. I'm not a road car guy, I can drive my IRL car for that experience :)
Just check my OP, i made it quite clear why i like AC that much -->driving around interesting roads/hillclimbs in road cars. AC it the only Sim where i can do that. Doesn't mean that i don't like R3E - however i placed it third in my enumeration.
I can drive my IRL car as well for that experience, and it isn't even too bad, better then some of Kunos cars in both handling and power :roflmao:. Next car to be even better..but i still can't drive a La Ferrari, or a P1. Can't even drive a Lamborghini Huracan IRL, without spending a lot of money - in fact the same amount of money, i'd be able to do a little racing on the Nord :)
saying - i like both :) i like racing very much, however it is important how my opponents act (both AI and real people), and in most cases they spoil the fun.

Just check my OP, i made it quite clear why i like AC that much -->driving around interesting roads/hillclimbs in road cars. AC it the only Sim where i can do that. Doesn't mean that i don't like R3E - however i placed it third in my enumeration.
I can drive my IRL car as well for that experience, and it isn't even too bad, better then some of Kunos cars in both handling and power :roflmao:. Next car to be even better..but i still can't drive a La Ferrari, or a P1. Can't even drive a Lamborghini Huracan IRL, without spending a lot of money - in fact the same amount of money, i'd be able to do a little racing on the Nord :)
saying - i like both :) i like racing very much, however it is important how my opponents act (both AI and real people), and in most cases they spoil the fun.
It is not that much matter of not being able to drive La Ferrari (kind of boring I guess) but not being able to take my Focus or other car to any track with or w/o 20 other cars anytime I want (well anytime wife let me :D )

It is not that much matter of not being able to drive La Ferrari (kind of boring I guess) but not being able to take my Focus or other car to any track with or w/o 20 other cars anytime I want (well anytime wife let me :D )
well, shame. I can do that anytime i want :) 10 bucks for the Nordschleife..and an additional 50 bucks for fuel to get there ;) but it's not really necessary, where i live there are great hillclimb/downhill roads with no speed limit (cameras), and next to no traffic, which is probably even better to drive because it includes hairpins and stuff. No Döttinger Höhe though ;) anyway, i love driving there with my SLK, even more though with (low-end) Porsches from friends. Can't imagine how awesome it would be with a Huracan or an AMG GTS. Driving there an (insured^^) La Ferrari would probably be more fun for me then racing on Hockenheim, and one of the greatest gifts for birthday i could imagine, next to a flight in a Mig29.
Anyway, i guess each to his own :)

Bavaria is a great place to live in terms of driving, think i would die in the likes of England :notworthy:

well, shame. I can do that anytime i want :) 10 bucks for the Nordschleife..and an additional 50 bucks for fuel to get there ;) but it's not really necessary, where i live there are great hillclimb/downhill roads with no speed limit (cameras), and next to no traffic, which is probably even better to drive because it includes hairpins and stuff. No Döttinger Höhe though ;) anyway, i love driving there with my SLK, even more though with (low-end) Porsches from friends. Can't imagine how awesome it would be with a Huracan or an AMG GTS. Driving there an (insured^^) La Ferrari would probably be more fun for me then racing on Hockenheim, and one of the greatest gifts for birthday i could imagine, next to a flight in a Mig29.
Anyway, i guess each to his own :)

Bavaria is a great place to live in terms of driving, think i would die in the likes of England :notworthy:
well I can be in Nords fairly quickly but Laguna Seca, Sebring, Suzuka, Interlagos, etc are different story ... and nor you or me would have there acctual race just for fun every second evening, idealy while my wife is breast feeding :p

Seems i have a different view then you though. Don't know about 1 and 2, but i definitely have more confidence in R3E, then in AC.
Maybe apart from the GT3, which is as easy as it gets with driving aids in AC.
But "real" race cars without aids, like Formula, DTM or so, i can drive way better at the limit in R3E, then in AC.
Well obviously we have different views, because we're different people. ;)

For me I haven't played R3E much in a while so I think its probably gotten better. Same with AC though, which I've played more lately and the new tire model 10 cars are much more confidence inducing than the older tire model 7 ones. I still can't figure out wtf is happening when I go over the limit. I just feel like I have no intuition about what the car is going to do a lot of the time when I push in AC.

As for real race cars I don't think aids enter into it. Plenty of AMS cars have some aids like a bit of ABS or with the 2002 F1 car TC and it doesn't make them easy or make them feel like crap. The Boxer has ABS and its a challenge to keep the rear in check. I just feel much more connected to what the car is doing in AMS.

I should probably go try some of the newer R3E content though. I've heard lots of good things about it.

Well obviously we have different views, because we're different people. ;)

For me I haven't played R3E much in a while so I think its probably gotten better. Same with AC though, which I've played more lately and the new tire model 10 cars are much more confidence inducing than the older tire model 7 ones. I still can't figure out wtf is happening when I go over the limit. I just feel like I have no intuition about what the car is going to do a lot of the time when I push in AC.

As for real race cars I don't think aids enter into it. Plenty of AMS cars have some aids like a bit of ABS or with the 2002 F1 car TC and it doesn't make them easy or make them feel like crap. The Boxer has ABS and its a challenge to keep the rear in check. I just feel much more connected to what the car is doing in AMS.

I should probably go try some of the newer R3E content though. I've heard lots of good things about it.

Agree on the tire model, 10 was really a leap forward. This also helped me a lot, judging what the car is doing:

Open with notepad the assetto_corsa.ini in your steamapps/common/assettocorsa/system/cfg folder (make a backup first in case you don't like it and want to restore the original file).

Find the [FF_EXPERIMENTAL] entry and set it to this:

[FF_EXPERIMENTAL]
ENABLE_GYRO=1
DAMPER_MIN_LEVEL=0.01
DAMPER_GAIN=1.0

However i still think R3E is better, feels more direct and connected.
Definitely have to try AMS..after all that praise of the FFB, i want to witness it myself. Watched a few youtube videos, don't think the AI is that bad. Liked to see them making mistakes, and one AI throwing it in the inside of another, overtaking him this way. Unthinkable in AC :)

@Celestiale If you want to see AI doing stuff like stuffing it up the inside or taking a defensive line and on top of all that making lots of mistakes you should look to rF2. Best AI hands down. You can see a pretty good example of that in Empty Box's latest video where he's talking about the future of rF2 and his opinion. He's got a Skip Barber AI race in the background and they sure don't look like the AI in any other game I've played.

AMS AI does a good job though, just a lot more timid on passing. They also tend to body check you at apexes so you have to race them by knowing where they'll give space and where they'll just punt you.

Out of curiosity, have you tried that FFB LUT thingie? I've done it and I definitely feel the FFB is more linear and I'm pretty sure I prefer it that way.

As it was already said, the only paramount factor missing on AMS is the rain/wet weather, IMO. I mean, GTR2 has it, Race07 has it...

Granted, there might be a lot of black magic behind coding and simulating a wet tyre on a wet track, with different worn parts of the track having different effects on grip (you just need to have run rental go-karts on a wet track to notice that you need to change your racing line - something not really taken into account in GTR2, if I am not mistaken)...

But, with that feature somehow implemented (and it doesn't need to be perfect, as long as it gives some immersion that rain actually exists and inluences the behaviour of the car) then AMS would have pretty much checked all of the sim racing boxes. As a matter of fact, it would make sense and would fit well as a "Brit" feature :)

But, with that feature somehow implemented (and it doesn't need to be perfect, as long as it gives some immersion that rain actually exists and inluences the behaviour of the car) then AMS would have pretty much checked all of the sim racing boxes. As a matter of fact, it would make sense and would fit well as a "Brit" feature :)
to be honest I rather have rain not implemented than having it somehow implemented ... look at pCars, it is there but poorely made so the only thing it does is ruin career mode for you ...

Ok you guys have at least convinced me to try it out.

What would you say are the best track/car combinations within two hours, to witness the FFB in all it's aspects?
  • 20 minutes of Mini Cooper for FWD - Mendig Bergschleife/Guapore
  • 20 miutes of Formula Vee (or Formula trainee but i think that is only in beta now, not sure) for low downforce opnwheeler - Taruma
  • 20 minutes of Formula Classic or Formula Reiza for higher dwnforce openwhelers - Interlagos/Spielberg/Kansai
  • 20 minutes of Boxer for RWD, - VIR Full Course
  • 20 minutes of Opala 67 for old RWD - Johanesburg Historic
  • 20 minutes of reserve as you will probaby loose sense of time as you fall deep into immersion ;) or to try Lancer X on FOZ and Supertruck on Spielberg Short ST
but if you manage to sqeeze in MR18, V8 Supercar, V8 stock, Formula Retro, Formula Historic they are must try cars :) ...

Or optionaly get Patricks track pack if you wanna try it on more familiar tracks ... Nurburgring, Spa, Road America, Bathurst ...

Oh and don`t forget to set track rubbering to higher level to save time (medium or high) and heat up your tyres ... don`t judge after first outlap,
If you wanna try AI, something between 100-106% for average player should be fine ..

Ok you guys have at least ... to witness the FFB in all it's aspects?

Just take time and read how to proper tune the ffb for ams, and inside ams, you may want lower the sensitivity for the throttle inside the game, that helps a lot to control some of the wild cars. Last night did a couple of laps on Ortona with a kart, and even that puts a smile in my face ;)

to be honest I rather have rain not implemented than having it somehow implemented ... look at pCars, it is there but poorely made so the only thing it does is ruin career mode for you ...

I'd rather have it somehow implemented because randomly generated weather conditions is something I personally miss from sims lately, and I might not be the only one.

Of course, the ones who don't like it can run dry sessions. Surely an option to decide the weather or to leave it random should be easy to implement :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back