Sell me Automobilista

The title says it all ;) please fans of this Sim, sell it to me.

To better judge my personality in terms of virtual driving, i'll tell you which comparable (in terms of content) sims i own, how i "use" them, and why i think they are all worth it, even when you own them next to each other.

1. Assetto Corsa: I use it solely as driving sim. What i like most is the believable and realistic interpretation of many iconic street cars, with their real manufacturer data. Alongside the great Force Feedback (after some .ini fiddeling), Mods, especially when it comes to the track/road/hillclimb variety. I rarely use it for racing, because the AI is **** and useless to race against, and i barely have the time (and leisure) to practise hours over hours for a single race, to compete in online racing (full of aliens, this sim). Nonetheless this is my N°1 in time spent so far - just doing track days on the Nordschleife or Road America.

2. Project Cars: I use it mostly as racing sim. One good reason: The AI. I don't deny that it sometimes has some weird moments (especially Karts), but overall it feels very alive, tries to overtake (also each other), and feels very "human" in the kind of not perfect, makes mistakes as well. Makes racing against them the most fun from all sims, in my opinion. In addition it has the best graphics, and awesome weather effects, especially rain races are a highlight. Second most played sim by myself to date.

3. Raceroom Racing experience: Used it both as hotlap and racing sim. I love the Force Feedback, the best i have ever felt with my wheel (T300). Alongside the great sound, and all those licensed classes, the immersion is great. The AI is not too bad as well, at least it tries to overtake if you are dawdling around (hello AC). However i noticed after some time that it never defends the inside corner, that makes overtaking a tad to easy, as soon as you catch up, and it also is a little bit lifeless (compared to Project Cars). I am pretty sure if i would dare to start racing online, this would be my favourite sim.
As it is R3E for me is a little caught betwixt and between, it doesn't have the variety of AC for hotlapping/driving, and not as good AI/surroundings as PC for offline racing. I still unpack it here and then, to witness the great ffb.

I also own and enjoy to race in F1 2016 and Dirt Rally, but i am not explaining in detail, since those are not really direct competition.

So after this explanation, what i want from you is to tell me, why - after already owning quite some awesome sims - i should buy Automobilista as well, and which added value i'd get over all those other sims :)
Thanks in advance

I'd rather have it somehow implemented because randomly generated weather conditions is something I personally miss from sims lately, and I might not be the only one.

Of course, the ones who don't like it can run dry sessions. Surely an option to decide the weather or to leave it random should be easy to implement :)
but if cars on wet don`t behave like cars on wet behave what is the point of having it in sim :) I`m all for proper implementation but not just another "somehow" :)

and graphics really bad. Don't know how much AMS has evolved since then?!
24v03cz.jpg

I know this is a mod car and track but this is a good visualization on the graphics. I think it looks fantastic. Like others have said its not flashy like the current gen sims. But C'mon, you cant tell me that doesn't look great still. Keep in mind this is at 1440p fully maxed out graphically running 4x sparse grid super sampling. But thats also whats great about this game. You dont need a super pc to max it out and crank up the AA

Drive the Formula V12 around Historic Montreal '88 (or anywhere else) to humble yourself when you think you have good pedal modulation technique.

Formula Retro around Spielberg Historic is erm... harrowing, and the long high speed curves help you feel the good FFB in that car, as well as being a good place to check if you're not clipping too much.

The title says it all ;) please fans of thi it to me.

To better judge my personality in terms of virtual driving, i'll tell you which comparable (in terms of content) sims i own, how i "use" them, and why i think they are all worth it, even when you own them next to each other.

1. Assetto Corsa: I use it solely as driving sim. What i like most is the believable and realistic interpretation of many iconic street cars, with their real manufacturer data. Alongside the great Force Feedback (after some .ini fiddeling), Mods, especially when it comes to the track/road/hillclimb variety. I rarely use it for racing, because the AI is **** and useless to race against, and i barely have the time (and leisure) to practise hours over hours for a single race, to compete in online racing (full of aliens, this sim). Nonetheless this is my N°1 in time spent so far - just doing track days on the Nordschleife or Road America.

2. Project Cars: I use it mostly as racing sim. One good reason: The AI. I don't deny that it sometimes has some weird moments (especially Karts), but overall it feels very alive, tries to overtake (also each other), and feels very "human" in the kind of not perfect, makes mistakes as well. Makes racing against them the most fun from all sims, in my opinion. In addition it has the best graphics, and awesome weather effects, especially rain races are a highlight. Second most played sim by myself to date.

3. Raceroom Racing experience: Used it both as hotlap and racing sim. I love the Force Feedback, the best i have ever felt with my wheel (T300). Alongside the great sound, and all those licensed classes, the immersion is great. The AI is not too bad as well, at least it tries to overtake if you are dawdling around (hello AC). However i noticed after some time that it never defends the inside c.

So after this explanation, what i want from you is to tell me, why - after already owning quite some awesome sims - i should buy Automobilista as well, and which added value i'd get over all those other sims :)
Thanks in advance
The title says it all ;) please fans of this Sim, sell it to me.

3. Raceroom Racing experience: Used it both as hotlap and racing sim. I love the Force Feedback, the best i have ever felt with my wheel (T300). Alongside the great sound, and all those licensed classes, the immersion is great. The AI is not too bad as well, at least it tries to overtake if you are dawdling around (hello AC). However i noticed after some time that it never defends the inside corner, that makes overtaking a tad to easy, as soon as you catch up, and it also is a little bit lifeless (compared to Project Cars). I am pretty sure if i would dare to start racing online, this would be my favourite sim.
As it is R3E for me is a little caught betwixt and between, it doesn't have the variety of AC for hotlapping/driving, and not as good AI/surroundings as PC for offline racing. I still unpack it here and then, to witness the great ffb.

I also own and enjoy to race in F1 2016 and Dirt Rally, but i am not explaining in detail, since those are not really direct competition.

Thanks in advance
AMS would be your first sim.

I'd rather have it somehow implemented because randomly generated weather conditions is something I personally miss from sims lately, and I might not be the only one.
I know what you mean, but in 2016 you simply can't just lower grip levels by 40% and make visuals greyish - if you want to implement dynamic weather or even just rain, then you need to go full ham at it.
Poorly implemented rain would simply not do AMS any favor, more than likely it would result in people judging the sim by it's weak rain implementation.

If you're curious about Automobilista's FFB, select 'Pure 360 Hz'. Then set FFB Low Force Boost to the following, depending on your type of wheel:

Logitech or low-end wheel: 80% (this is the default);
Stronger wheels/Fanatec CSR V2/T500: 20 - 40%;
Bodnar/Accuforce: 0%. (If these stronger wheels give poor FPS, set the FFB to 'Pure 180 Hz'.)

Then try Formula Retro at Interlagos Oval, after which you'll know a lot more about the sim's feedback. :)

Last edited:
For sure we need to recognize that as sims become far more complex we face increased difficulty in creating a full feature list compared to the past. rF2 has really blazed that trail for sure with its next level tire model representing both an apogee of sophistication and a monumental hurdle for those who are not initiated into its ways.

The issue is that the sim racing market is so small that its not like AAA gaming where you can throw money at the problem from a development stand point, not if you also have consumers expecting licensed content, laser scanned tracks, and current gen pretty on par with the games which have much greater budgets. Seriously, apparently that 8 bit throw back thing ain't part of sim racing.

Too many features means pulling the devs in too many directions. The upswing is that given we're in a period that seems to include the solidifying of new engines under relatively new developers it could mean that progressive development of a feature suite over several years is likely to happen for some sims, provided the devs seek to go there and the community offers enough support to let them.

Simming is odd when you think about it. You're trying to recreate reality rather than game mechanics and simmers expect a certain sophistication to that model, more complex every year, yet simmers also seem to demand all the expected features of other more popular games almost as a throw away comment. Oh fix the UIs or I won't even buy it or something. I wonder if most simmers realize that they demand a lot for how little they put in both individually and collectively.

If you're curious about Automobilista's FFB, select 'Pure 360 Hz'. Then set FFB Low Force Boost to the following, depending on your type of wheel:

Logitech or low-end wheel: 80% (this is the default);
Stronger wheels/Fanatec CSR V2/T500: 20 - 40%;
Bodnar/Accuforce: 0%. (If these stronger wheels give poor FPS, set the FFB to 'Pure 180 Hz'.)

Then try Formula Retro at Interlagos Oval, after which you'll know a lot more about the sim's feedback. :)
Well for low end logitech DFGT 10-20% is more than enough as it has basically no deadzone .. After that it goes too heavy

My sim racing career started with Geoff Crammonds GP4 and F1 2002 on PC. Since then I've been there through almost all of them: rFactor, GTR, GTR 2, Race 07 +, GTR Evo +, iRacing, Assetto Corsa, NKpro, and some others.

I also race in real life, am a racing instructor, and would confidently say I know how a car handles.

iRacing has the tracks. This is simply not beatable. Laser scanned, big budgets, just perfect. No competition.

Automobilista has the physics. Niels is a godsend. Not one sim comes close.

I don't need to say more. If a simulator with the budget and scope of iRacing had the physics and attitude of AMS devs, every other sim would go bust. I really hope one day, these guys are able to tap into a bigger market as AMS is very niche, even within the sim community.

@Richie Speed have you tried the Brands and Oulton park in automobilista? they are build with laser scan data, and it feels real good, is not that "flat" feeling from some older reiza tracks, although the newer ones have track surface much detailed even without being laser scan, I have read in reiza forum they use other reliable methods .

@Richie Speed have you tried the Brands and Oulton park in automobilista? they are build with laser scan data, and it feels real good, is not that "flat" feeling from some older reiza tracks, although the newer ones have track surface much detailed even without being laser scan, I have read in reiza forum they use other reliable methods .
only Oulton is scanned I think ... but you can`t realy tell that Brands is not

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 348 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years