Season 9 - General Discussion

Only changes i need to do for full forecast (all possbile sessions) is to change "Qualify2" to Race2 and then copy "Race1" and rename it to "Race". I'm not sure if that last part is necessary and since we have only one race, we can skip that session extra anyway. Renaming "Race1" to "Race" would be enough then. I can test this, i still have all softs open..

I've been meaning for ages to learn enough VisualC to learn how to do txt file editors, there is a lot of cases where a small sorting program could do wonders and as far as programming goes, it's in the easier side of things.. But haven't yet found enough motivation to get into it, it takes at least a week before i can get it together.. With some help, it's not such a tough project to do since all parameters have been identified and tested, should be easy to define the behaviour.

AutoSIm analyzer is what does this: http://cream.galleria.fi/PrestoGP/Results/2012.3.7_21.29_79montreal/
It's Autosim Weather Generator that does weather, there's a link in my post. There is one that does weathers for GTR2 (so does AWG, it's gtr2 editor..) but i couldn't get it to work. AWG has randomization too but it uses the user created curve as a baseline where it creates random noise (this was tested with SRS and it proved that randomization just moves the curve up/down and was so unpredictable that is really just a noise generator, larger values can make 100% conditions for all four sessions.. or do nothing...)

But there is one option that could be useful to us: Time randomization, it's moves the curve in time so we can have tested conditions but the actual time when rain arrives is unknown... Well, not unknown but shift of 10-15 minutes in any direction provides totally different race and we can use the default curve during practice.. It removes the uncertainty factor a bit, maybe three forecasts, similar to each other and then randomized to the race. I just had an idea, i could try to use wttcced to encrypt the files, then no one can see the innards (unless he googles/dl wtcced and decrypts the files...)

Well got my time down to 1:14 not bad for my first week with the game if I do say so myself LOL I need some tips to get the other 4-5secs off though. Plus I seem to have lost Force Feedback which seems weird

Well got my time down to 1:14 (...) I need some tips to get the other 4-5secs off though.

First of all, well done, I always like it when a new name appear on the time sheets at PrestoGP.com

I would suggest an alternative way of practice now that you seem to have learned the track, and the 22 min server is perfect for this. Load up your race setup (you'll need 50 liters of fuel and I would recommend medium tyres) and aim to complete the stint without running off the track.

Once you have acheived this, I'm guessing that it will still be a large gap (several seconds) between your fastest and slowest lap. Next goal is to reduce this gap. Personally I aim to do all laps within 1 second, but this is quite ambishious and I do not demand this from new drivers. Point is that this is the best measurement for your readyness to race.

Once you have acheived doing a stint/22min/18 laps without big mistakes, you can try a few qual laps and you'll see that you have gained a lot of time there as well :)

In case you are in need of a race trim setup, I'll post mine here. I think it is well balanced and would not swap it for anything, but it is quite low on downforce, so perhaps Kennett's would be a good idea? It is similar to mine, but with more downforce, and Kennett prefers it to my low downforce one :) I am too stubborn to even try his high downforce, so I would not really know which I would reccomend. (Or perhaps you already are using Reik's or someone else's and are happy with it?)

EDIT: The reason I am saying all this is that on Wednesday we are having a practice race where all new guys need to participate. And if you don't practice stints you don't stand a chance of doing a "good figure" :)

Plus I seem to have lost Force Feedback which seems weird

Is it gone permanently, check all settings in-game and control panel. Also make sure the power cord is connected ;)

If it disappeared once it is a bug that you can solve through resetting the ffb when sitting in the car. I cannot remember the key combo... perhaps it is alt+f? I know Vale knows, but he is still on holiday :)

Attachments

• s9r1,2 med.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 249
Hey I'm a new guy too but I can do laps in 1 second :) (joking)

Yeah Carl, this is the most important thing - doing a consistent laps and no spinning. Nobody cares if you can do 1-2 crazy fast laps and you spin on the third and lose 30 seconds. When I started to play here I was doing almost the same lap times in R and Q and that was driving me crazy but understanding what Nico said to me drove me to the 10s and once in 9s (for now!).

Well done Carl! You can watch Reik's video or this video to compare:

carl please dont use this video to compare, nothing against victor but its an illegal lap, youd be better comparing to a fully legal lap.

victor, presto rules are you keep 2 wheels within the white lines at all times, based on that lap youre cutting and going wide to achieve the times you are, please start practising a legal line because that wont be allowed in qualifying or a race situation.

carl please dont use this video to compare, nothing against victor but its an illegal lap, youd be better comparing to a fully legal lap.

victor, presto rules are you keep 2 wheels within the white lines at all times, based on that lap youre cutting and going wide to achieve the times you are, please start practising a legal line because that wont be allowed in qualifying or a race situation.
Never said it was legal, both cuts are terrible mistakes which I wish I had avoided... Both times I lost time compared to my best sectors. Bad bad.

Never said it was legal, both cuts are terrible mistakes which I wish I had avoided... Both times I lost time compared to my best sectors. Bad bad.

you didnt loose time, thats you pb lap, the one registered on prestogp.com, youve also named it "My absolute record" so its the best youve put in so far which is illegal, you say you knew it was illegal, in which case why post it? why count it as your absolute record? you shouldve scraped the lap after the first cut at the chicane.

like i said though nothing against you victor but laps like that wont be allowed as a qualifying lap or a race lap.

you didnt loose time, thats you pb lap, the one registered on prestogp.com, youve also named it "My absolute record" so its the best youve put in so far which is illegal, you say you knew it was illegal, in which case why post it? why count it as your absolute record? you shouldve scraped the lap after the first cut at the chicane.

like i said though nothing against you victor but laps like that wont be allowed as a qualifying lap or a race lap.
Hey why mine is illegal but Reik's is legal? I don't understand. Yes it's my absolute record and if you try to take the chicane like I did you'll know I lost time. About the second cut, I didn't want to make it, I just missed the curb on the right so I went wide.

reik has 2 wheels within the white lines at all times, if you cross the white lines with 3 wheels its illegal, the cut at the chicane made you the most time, to be legal there youd have to go deeper to keep 2 wheels on the track and this makes the turn tighter, by missing the lines altogether and having 4 wheels off the track youve taken a quicker line through it giving you a straighter exit.

the 2nd wide made a lot of time for the same reasons, to take it legal youd have to slow down more to stay within the white lines and treat it more as a corner than just a turn.

like i said before this is nothing personal, anyone will agree this is the presto way and has been forever, if any of us are gaining time due to a cut or wide we either ease off throttle to avoid gaining by it or we would abort the lap, if its in a race situation then obviously the former applys and youd ease off so as not to gain by it, in a qualifying situation then its either ease off or abort but its a big no no to carry on the lap in the knowledge youve gained a big advantage.

hope this clears it up a bit, handy for new members to see a legal and illegal lap.

David everywhere in RD cutting is prohibited and I was one of the people who were blaming others for cutting. My lap might be the fastest but it's not official and you haven't seen any official lap from me to comment. I know what is legal and illegal and believe me I have lost time in S2, doesn't matter where but I did. I log my sector times and that's why I know that. So now watch Reik's lap again and pause exactly on 3:43. Nothing personal Reik, you're still my hero!

Hi, did anyone answer my question about Team Speak? How do you guys chat?

Many of us don't use team speak. We communicate here and on the server :). But there is a team speak channel that those who use ts use. Ask Tim, he should know :)

Victor, I think the misunderstanding here is that for us, the p.b. displayed at PrestoGP.com is your official p.b. and must be free of cut's and running wides. It is no big drama, but now you (and Reik) know that we prefer that video's and p.b.'s are 100% on track.

Btw, we use the same definition as in football, there has to be air between the wheel and the white line to be off the track :)

My best race stint medium tyres lap that I bragged about earlier (1:12,4xx), I acctually ran wide you know where. I do not think I gained any time on it, but it was enough to stop me from making a video of the lap as it wasn't "legal".

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 122 86.5%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 24 17.0%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 23 16.3%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 17 12.1%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 42 29.8%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 49 34.8%